• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with PC background

Garrland7g

First Post
Currently in my campaign I have a character that I want something special to happen to. I origanaly wanter him to have fiend blood in him but still be a "good" character. Character is already 5th level and I'm not sure how to suddenly bring out the fiendish part of him and not have it to overwhelming. There is an NPC in the group who is a 1/2 fiend(home made alu-fiend actually that I was planning on being his sister, sent by his/her mother(a major party antagonist) to tempt him over to the "dark side". The sister is actually tired of doing mom's bidding and has good in her alignment. BTW Mom is a Succubus who ensorceled dad and had his child(pc). Possible child didn't seem to have demon qualities so mom left for dead, where as the pc characters known father found and took him as his own. Maybe no the demon powers are starting to come out???? Any ideas????

Later,
Chris

fba827

Adventurer
Yeah, the best way to bring it about is to have the secrets of his heritage start to manifest in some way.

Perhaps, as you said, the powers are starting to manifest.

Perhaps there is some visual/appearance change in the character - it can be minor or hidable (like eye or skin or horns) or it can be more drastic and obvious

I started to think of why the charactertistics are starting to manifest now...

* perhaps he has come in contact with some magic item that is supposed to damage fiends in some small way and he finds that it burns his skin when he touches it (though this option is dangerous is the PCs pick this item up and try to keep it as a weapon - maybe it should be an artifact in a temple that the PCs aren't allowed to keep - they are just helping to move it or something).

* perhaps a cleric or mage cast something and through some strange fluke, whatever it is (power or appearance) starts to amnifest itself in the PC in question

* Maybe the antagonist who is trying to lure the PC to the "dark side" (tm) casts or does something to force the manifestations to occur thus hoping that the manifestation will lure the PC (it gives him some sort of half-fiend template abilities or something)

random thoughts anyway ....

DethStryke

Explorer
On the physical manifestations of his heritage thought path:

* His back keeps itching... first a little bit, then more frequently. This could happen at random times during his travels... perhaps giving him problems in situations when he has to keep quiet but finds that he REALLY needs to scratch. :)

This could be scales to wings growing in... It's not easy to see what your back looks like in a land with few mirrors.

* A run-in with holy water gives 1st-2nd-3rd degree burns.

* Starts to hear other fiends talking to him telepathically, screwing with his mind. Could be a random thing that springs up suddenly. Perhaps he overhears conversations as well, all going on in other realms. His "sister" (npc) may start thinking and he picks up on it by accident.

Remove ads