• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New 3E Campaign - DC/VA/MD Area

RJSmalls

First Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on starting a new 3E campaign in the very near future. I currently DM another group but the players are spread throughout the country so we only get together about three times a year. I need more D&D, so that's why I'm here.

First, some information about myself. I'm 29 years old, married, with two young sons. I work in DC and live near Crofton, MD. Most likely our sessions would take place in my basement; there's plenty of room, two large tables, a whiteboard, battleboard, etc. I'm looking to play twice monthly, though the frequency and actual days we meet can best be determined later once we know the schedules of all the players.

I intend for this campaign to be for mature, dependable players who enjoy a healthy mixture of roll-playing and role-playing. I don't want to put restrictions on players, but I think those players who are 25+ years in age, with jobs and/or families of their own, may be the best fit. Addiction to D&D is a plus. :)

This will not be traditional high fantasy; PC's will die, and the world is somewhat dark and grim. Due to the continuity of the storyline, I'm looking for players that can generally ensure they will be able to attend our sessions (once the schedule is ironed out).

Anyway, enough about me. Below is a very, very brief description of the homebrewed world we'd be playing in. I used this for the Wizards of the Coast fantasy world proposal, so I apologize for the format and the over-the-top writing in advance. It was just easiest to copy & paste.

Regardless, thanks for your time and sorry for the proverbial email out of the blue! Please write me with any further questions or concerns you may have.

Take care,
Ryan

Fantasy Setting Proposal

1. Core Ethos Sentence. The shining lands of Ostia Prim, a world steeped in history and dotted with the ruins of wondrous kingdoms, have fallen under the twilight of an awakening evil.

2. Who are the heroes? The land thirsts for the rise of new heroes to combat the coming darkness. The great warriors and magi of ancient times – Madigant Brightspear, Quol’tagannen of Lost Epala, Archpriestess Jala la’Mor – have disappeared within the annals of history. A handful of organizations seek to reclaim the faded glories of the past, but their members are as enigmatic as they are powerful. Ostia Prim is a land bereft of heroes when heroes are needed more than ever.

3. What do they do? The famed Tower Sages of Valudia seek to learn the lore of the many Lost Kingdoms to assist Ostia Prim in her coming battles. Destan the Grim has built an army of misfits and outcasts to scour the land for ancient magics. Disciples of the mysterious Covenguard, a league wherein no member knows all her fellows, descend in unheralded bravery to combat the darkness far beneath the sunlight. Yet despite the coming Doom, the kingdoms of men creep toward a world-encompassing war, and the voices of the too-few heroes are little heeded and less believed.

4. Threats, Conflicts, Villains. Loroth, First Witchking of the Rorn, was buried in the collapse of his mountain fastness the Dezimond at the very moment he sought godhood. With his death ended the Comet Wars, but the Empire of Basilica, bastion of Light, had been mortally weakened in the struggles. The land basked in a new Age of peace for hundreds of years, yet the ground now trembles from the boot heels of armies and shadows stir. For there are those who believe Loroth did not perish under the rock. Even now his whispered callings reach the ears of his lieutenants, gathering them to the blackness of the Rorn to begin the struggle anew.

5. Nature of magic. All practitioners understand that the strongest sorceries disappeared with the ancient kingdoms. There are secrets that may never again be known. With each casting, Seekers are reminded of all that has been forgotten - What May Be and What Might Have Been are questions conjured with each cantrip. This sense of loss spurs many toward the still-strong black arts. Spellcasters are rare and as feared as they are respected, for many blame wizardry as the source for past catastrophes. Yet clerics, wizards, and sorcerers cross the land like any adventurers, seeking knowledge, riches, power, and fame. These wanderers cling to ancient edifices and ambiguous fey lines to increase the potency of their skills; they are reassured that the power within the land has not been lost, but only lies dormant.

6. What makes this setting unique? Ostia Prim is a beautifully grim world muted under the shadow of a growing evil; she is a study of contrasts. The wondrous natural beauty of her many mountains sit astride the seething cauldron of Loroth’s minions. Her primeval forests, no longer wet with the birthing dew of Lost Epala, serve to hide growing ranks of humanoid raiders. The sun-dappled Horseplains of Valusia cover twisting tunnels that extend into the very heart of the earth. The inspiring beauty of her rivers and hills are made more poignant by the nearness of the coming danger.

Heroes will find that customs and laws are as varied as the peoples of Ostia Prim. No two lands, no two peoples, are alike. A hulking axeman from Gordia is as different from an Apian legionnaire as a halfling is from a half-orc. In a world made stronger through diversity, heroes must possess the ability to unite bitter foes and reconcile ancient hatreds, lest all peoples perish to the Witchking’s hordes.

Upon this tableau move the armies of mankind, for no queen, no patriarch, and no Marcher Lord feels safe in their bedchambers as rumors of war spread. Isolated dwarves of the Balantir Cor, sylvan elves of the twin isles of Grun Min and Grun Prim, proud imperials of Apia, mischievous gnomes of the Lathan Hills – at a time when these races should be united against a common foe, they are more disparate than ever. Their divisiveness may prove the downfall of Ostia Prim should rulers not heed the warnings of young heroes. None doubt that a new Age is dawning, but whether it shall be bathed in Light or covered in Darkness remains to be seen.

Welcome to Ostia Prim, a land whose inherent beauty is matched only by her imminent danger.

RJSmalls

First Post
Could use one more PC

Filling out the group quite nicely, but could use one more PC. The proposal on the table is to meet twice per month, on Tuesday evenings, from 6 PM - midnight.

If you're in the area, and think you could make those times, I'd love to hear from you. We've got a great group forming in a homebrew world with lots of opportunities for some good role and roll playing.

Shoot me an email if you have questions or want to know more about the campaign. Thanks.

Ryan
rjsmalls@yahoo .com

RJSmalls

First Post
11th Hour

Update: Our first session is this Tuesday, Dec. 10th, from 7 PM - 11 PM. Could still use 1 or 2 more PC's to round out the group (currently 5 PC's). We're an older bunch (30+ yrs) so interested in other experienced gamers. Please email me if you're interested. The session will take place near Crofton, MD.

Thanks!
RJ

rjsmalls@yahoo .com

Remove ads