• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"new" basic game vs. current basic game?

JeffB

Legend
Hey folks...

I see that there is a new basic set out for September from WOTC. Does anyone know how this new set differs from the one that has been out for the past coupla years? I would assume there would be different minis based on the differences in art/covers, but I'm wondering how (if?) the content differs.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide :)

caudor

Adventurer
Wow, I thought the 'new' basic set was canceled (or disappeared from the catalog). Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read about it.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I don't know that there was a whole lot said about it, other than the minis included were different.

I only hope they make this one playable for longer as a stand-alone product. If I recall, there was only one small adventure. (I lost the paperwork and booklets.) The minis and tiles I still have.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Shadowslayer said:
I don't know that there was a whole lot said about it, other than the minis included were different.

I only hope they make this one playable for longer as a stand-alone product. If I recall, there was only one small adventure. (I lost the paperwork and booklets.) The minis and tiles I still have.

For those curios about the current Basic Set, this is what's in it:

*a bag of dice
*16 minis (12 monsters, 4 heroes) plus stat cards for these
*4 double-sided large dungeon tiles
*4 double-sided color-printed stats for Aramil, Regdar, Lidda and Eberk (the 4 hero minis included)
*1 double-sided "Read this first" sheet
*1 twelve page "First Adventure Book" with two rooms of a dungeon described, as well as instructions for getting play going
*1 eight page booklet called "Quick start rules", which is basically an introduction to combat. It mentions Exploration as well ... briefly. :D
*1 sixtysix page book called "Advanced Rule Book", which covers stat generation, races, classes, feats, skills, alignment, equipment, more combat, a little bit more exploration, spells, a section on being the dungeon master, stocking dungeons, solo play, treasure tables, and the rest of the description for the dungeon started in the "First Adventure Book" (the complete dungeon has 17 rooms), a basic monster manual (black dragon, dire rat, warrior skeleton, wolf skeleton, troglodyte, kobold warrior/skirmisher), orc warrior, and a short intro to D&D minis.

For me the current Basic Game contains basically what I think a basic D&D set should contain, except for:

*Rules covering levels beyond 2nd (I'd like up to 5).
*An outdoor location as a startup for a campaign (such as an Inn or a small village)
*An evocative map over the countryside, with cool adventure locations indicated (eg. The Chimera Pass, Three Troll Bridge, Bandit Forest and so on).
*A couple more predesigned dungeons
*10 or so more monsters in the Basic Monster Manual

That'd be a sweet Basic Set, in my opinion. Now that I've said that, I'll be off to read the thread which was linked!

Thanks!

/M

JeffB

Legend
Thanks all for the info, and the link to that thread Echo! :)

Not sure if I should wait to get this for my son or just grab the current set. I took a look at my copy of Introduction to AD&D boxed set (mid 90s..the one with the CD and the book covers look like the revised 2E books), and I think the clunkiness of AD&D mechanics would be a lil too much for him being only 6 (and he has some learning disabilities due to ADD). However its a good starting product, with a bunch of diff monsters, a decent sized introductory adventure , a bigger scenario/dungeon, and a small town as Maggan mentioned.

Something similar with 3E mechanics would be perfect. The "roll high" thing, and the fact that all the important rolls use the same mechanic would be easier for him to grasp. I want him to enjoy the playing experience and not fret over whether he needs to roll % dice for thief skills (he seems to want to be a rogue/thief), initiative on D10, open doors on D6, THAC0, etc etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads