new construct - the Brass Behir (using Monte Cook's template)

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

I made this construct to test out Monte Cook's construct template. I converted a behir to a metallic variety, and I think that with the loss of its Con-determined bonus hit points, it may be actually weaker than the advised CR would indicate (although it does immense damage and is almost impossible to hit). I also added some other special abilities to support a concept that formed while I was creating it. I didn't bother scaling up the CR, since the creature is probably not much more powerful than its organic inspiration.

I suspect this construct should be larger, and smarter, to live up to its conception. Please let me know what you think.

- Devon

Brass Behir (Huge Construct) (Fire)
Hit Dice: 9d10 (49 hp)
Initiative: -1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft., swim 20 ft., climb 10 ft.
AC: 26 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +19 natural)
Attacks: Bite +20 melee, 6 claws +15 melee
Damage: Bite 2d4+13, claw 1d4+6
Face/Reach: 10 ft. by 30 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon (electricity), breath weapon (sleep), improved grab, swallow whole, constrict 2d8+13
Special Qualities: Electricity immunity, fire subtype, can't be tripped, construct
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 9, Con --, Int --, Wis 12, Cha 2
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: None (maybe some in its belly)
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 10-13 HD (Huge); 14-27 HD (Gargantuan)

The Brass Behir was created as a gatekeeper for a wizard's fastness on the far side of a lava river. Specially enchanted to resist lava's heat, the construct would pose as an ornate, draconic brass boat, arching its tail and head upwards, mechanical arms dipped into the lava, floating patiently, perfectly still, waiting for interlopers to hop board and row it out to the far side of the river. Passengers would notice a pair of levers which, when used, would ostensibly compel the boat to paddle forward, left and right, using its mechanical arms.

Halfway across the river, the brass behir would turn its "prow" back on the passengers and envelop them in a cloud of sleep gas, swallowing them from off its belly and holding them in a metallic stomach prison until its master could figure out what to do with them. The brass behir could also, if commanded, try to kill intruders, using its immense strength as well as lightning bolts, or simply rolling over and dumpipng its opponents into the lava. Although the brass behir can be "steered" using the levers, it can ignore them when it is time to pounce.

Combat
A brass behir usually subdues its prey with sleep gas, swallowing them to be taken to its master. If melee combat is the order, then it will bite and grab its prey first, either swallowing or constricting the opponent. If beset by a large number of foes, it uses its breath weapon.

Breath Weapon (Su): Line of lightning 5 feet wide, 5 feet high, and 20 feet long, once a minute; damage 7d6, Reflex half DC 17.

Breath Weapon (Su): Sleep gas cone, 60 feet, every 1d4 rounds (but no more than five times per day); Fortitude save (DC 17) or fall asleep for 1d10 minutes.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the brass behir must hit with its bite attack. If it gets a hold, it can attempt to swallow or constrict the opponent.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A brass behir can try to swallow a grabbed Medium-size or smaller opponent by making a successful grapple check. At the brass behir's option, the swallowed creature takes 2d8+13 points of crushing damage per round as the construct flexes its mechanical stomach. A swallowed creature must climb its way out (Climb check, DC 25), or deal 40 points of damage to breach the metallic stomach wall (AC 20). Once the creature exits, steely fibers seal the breach, and another swallowed opponent must again cut its own way out. The brass behir's stomach can comfortably hold four Medium-size, eight Small, sixteen Tiny, thirty-two Diminutive, or sixty-four Fine or smaller opponents. The brass behir can opt to swallow more opponents, packing them in like sardines until they can be delivered to its master.

Constrict (Ex): A brass behir deals 2d8+13 damage with a successful grapple check against Gargantuan or smaller creatures. It can use its claws against the grappled foe as well.

Fire Subtype (Ex): Fire immunity, double damage from cold except on a successful save.

Construct: Immune to mind-influencing effects, poison, disease, death affects, paralysis, stunning, sleep, and similar effects. Not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, energy drain, or death from massive damage. Darkvision 60 feet. Destroyed when reduced to 0 hp; cannot be raised.

Can't Be Tripped (Ex): Due to the sheer number of legs, the brass behir cannot be tripped.

Construction
The cost to build the Brass Behirr, including the physical body and all the materials and spell components that are consumed or become a permanent part of it, amounts to 90,000 gp.

The construct's physical body must be crafted of brass (metalworking, DC 17) and costs 1,800 gp to create. The creator can assemble the body or hire someone else to do the job.

The creator must be 16th level and able to cast arcane spells. Completing the ritual drains from the creator 1,350 XP and requires geas/quest, limited wish, polymorph any object, iron body, lightning bolt, sleep, and protection from elements.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I actually threw a copper behir at my party a while back using Monte's template. It swallowed and killed the svirfneblin illusionist with little effort, and its haste ability allowed it to go toe-to-toe with the paladin and barbarian for several rounds berfore the arcane archer finally brought it down. Great fun!

It definitely used up 20% of our 12-th level party's resources.

Remove ads