• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(news) Grayhawk PC game

Welverin

First Post
Henry said:
You're thinking of Ubisoft. SSI published the game, Ubisoft designed it. Infogrammes now holds the title to release D&D PC games, whereas it used to be split up between SSI, Interplay, and Infogrammes.

You're a little off as well. Ubi Soft acquired the publishing rights through a convaluteed series of events. Stormfront Studios actually developed the game and I believe that the team that was actually working on the game changed as well. Even if the development team didn't change the n repeated change in publishers had a distinct negative impact on the production of the game.

Brudewollen

First Post
If it ain't BioWare It's Crap!

Only BioWare seems to be capable of doing worthy D&D CRPG adaptations, at least since technology grew past those old (and often quite strong) SSI Adventures.

When I saw this thread I actually called a friend of mine who works at BioWare hoping they were going to have some part in its design. Sadly, of course, no. My friend used to work for WotC but left when Hasbro sold off the software rights. When I told him this project was being done he just kind of groaned.

...sigh...

He is very excited about the expansion adventures for NWN. He thinks they will be quite a bit better then the one that comes with the original game. They apparently have had a lot more time to develop these add on adventures.

Welverin

First Post
Re: If it ain't BioWare It's Crap!

Brudewollen said:
He is very excited about the expansion adventures for NWN. He thinks they will be quite a bit better then the one that comes with the original game. They apparently have had a lot more time to develop these add on adventures.

That's good news at least.

InShambles

First Post
Tamsar said:
Are Infogrames actually developoing the game or just the
publisher?

Infogrames (now Atari in the US) is the publisher. The game is being developed by Troika. They previously developed "Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura".

Brudewollen

First Post
Well...Arcanum was pretty good...

In terms of atmosphere, writing and all of that, Acranum was excellent. The concept for the world was beautifully realized and they had some good ideas about magic and using technology expertice as almost another type of magic.

That being said, the play balance didn't seem quite as strong to me as the BioWare games, nor was the technology as good, I thought. Still, this at least gives me some hope that they will be able to pull off something worthwhile.

InShambles

First Post
This biggest criticism of Arcanum that I read was that the graphics were out dated. Hopefully they will have something new. Although, I doubt the game will use a 3D engine with the little development time this games seems to have. Unless they license an engine. Wait and see I guess.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads