Non-occult missions in a time of revolution

Emirikol

Adventurer
So my Zweihander group wants a Flames of Freedom campaign next. I've fixed the weapons, cleaned up the historical errors, came up with my own occult issues (I never use material that the players get with the core rules), dumped the secret societies, and gathered scores of occult scenarios. The PCs will not be using magic.

What I'm looking is for non-occult missions. There's a dearth of period scenarios. The PCs will be bounty-men, basically mercenaries collecting pay for specific tasks; I'm thinking that such missions should be more inland, as occult missions usually involve urban settings. I'm re-watching Turn, which might help a little.

But I'm not coming up with much in the way of non-occult scenarios other than the tired 'hunt bandits, deal with wild animals' which are done to death. Any ideas?
When you say you fixed the weapons, what was your issue with them? Too powerful? Too accurate?

When you say you fixed the weapons, what was your issue with them? Too powerful? Too accurate?
Too fast to reload, and I loath the 'every weapon does the same damage'. I use the optional expanded damage rule in Zweihander.

Muzzle loaders post-firelock can achieve five aimed shots per minute, so given a six-second combat round, the reloading rates had to be adjusted.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Too fast to reload, and I loath the 'every weapon does the same damage'. I use the optional expanded damage rule in Zweihander.

Muzzle loaders post-firelock can achieve five aimed shots per minute, so given a six-second combat round, the reloading rates had to be adjusted.

Cool. I'll check out the expanded damage rule from Zweihander.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Whiskey Rebellion: up in the mountains, hardscrabble farmers can grow more than they will eat in a year - but just try to get a dozen wagonloads down to the market cities ! However, the grain can be converted to more-valuable and more-compact alcohol then moved.

Enter the coin-hungry bureaucrat who decides to the whiskey should be taxed as if it were a luxury item not a staple food item. This will bankrupt the farmers (evil conspiracy world: doing so is exactly the point).

The PCs are hired to collect the tax from a given town, or to bodyguard the tax collector. It is expected that expeditions into the hills will be undertaken; to arrest ringleaders, spy out stills or scofflaw storage points, and/or persuade locals to cooperate with The Law.

For fun, add a Hatfields-and-McCoys feud whose members will gladly turn in the other guys but fiercely protect their own.

Remove ads