• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NWN: Real D&D 3rd ed ?

Darklone

Some questions and remarks:

I found a module on the net that incorporated more 3rd style rules like the -10 hp death and bleeding ...

Has anyone found something similar for casting on the defense or how do all those spellcasters out there keep their char from being beaten to pieces while casting?

Things I've come up so far to avoid those nasty AoOs (and I think you lose your dex bonus too):

Dodge and Mobility feats. Henchmen (though I think those are for sissies! :D). Summoned monsters. Familiars.

Ah, yes, another question: Is there a command for my familiar to keep him right next to me without attacking (and dying) all the time or simply staying somewhere?

LightPhoenix

First Post
The module probably incorporated the Hardcore Ruleset. It does a decent job at recreating some of 3E that was left out. I don't exactly like all of it, but it does make it a much more lethal game.

Try the Follow Me command. Though really, familiars are a pain in the butt to control and something that IMO really needs imrpovement.

Concentration. Lots of it. Spellcasters seem to be much more easily disrupted than 3E.

I've noticed, in my very brief time playing, that they don't appear to have included Shield in the 1st level Arcane spell list.

I won't even go into the lack of Item Creation feats :mad:

Hatchling Dragon

Frosty

First Post
Hatchling Dragon said:

I won't even go into the lack of Item Creation feats :mad:

Hatchling Dragon

I think NWN handles item creation in a much more interesting way than D&D. You pick up a rakshasas eye, a piece of quartz crystal, cast Mage Armor and voila! Instant Cloak of Protection (...or whatever). In NWN it's a good thing to loot the caracasses of fantastic monsters. :)

Darklone

Yeah, they didn't include shield (not that it would save you from AoOs), and they changed Mage armour to give +1 Armour bonus, +1 natural bonus, +1 deflection bonus and +1 dodge bonus...

Very good to use it on your henchmen and utterly useless if you got some nice equipment.

So here's no mage who plays without summoned monsters in front and henchmen?

NWN

The one thing that pissed me off early about "never bother" nights was the spiders poison was a DC 26 fortitude save. Sorry, im a 4th level guy with a friend. That spider would have to be somewhere between Huge and Gargantuan with a CR of arround 7. Also it was only, if i remember right, 5x5.

bah. this is not 3e.

joe b.

cybernetic

Explorer
NWN is a computer game USING the 3rd edition rule set...and a computer game RECREATING them....its not meant to replace PnP DnD....just provide something else to chase away your boredom...

NWN

cybernetic said:
NWN is a computer game USING the 3rd edition rule set...and a computer game RECREATING them....its not meant to replace PnP DnD....just provide something else to chase away your boredom...

i know its not ment to replace pnp dnd but it does seem to be replacing the rules of pnp dnd that a computer system using the 3e rule set could easily follow.

Lets have a very brief overview of some of the things they changed "to provide something else to chase away my boredom".

spells are different or just missing.
feats are different or just missing.
skills are different of just missing.
experience is vastly different.
monsters are different.

personally i'd have a little qualms about calling something so different from 3e based upon 3e. especially when many of the differences would have been just as easily addressed by using the existing rules. Monsters dont have to be changed to make them challanging, just use the monsters that are approriate to the challage rating that is already balanced (roughly) in the game.

anywhoo.. i was more than dissapointed in NWN. it was really just baldurs gate all over again, in 3D with some changes to make it more like 3E.

joe b.

Remove ads