D&D 5E O.G.R.E. Random Treasure Generators

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I don't know if others have encountered this issue, but I've found it a pain in the butt to generate treasure in D&D Next using the playtest random treasure charts.

So, I decided to use the handy O.G.R.E. tool that [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] so kindly installed at EnWorld for our common use (well, and thanks to the Kickstarter that helped fund it).

I've only done levels 1-3 so far, and only the pouches (no chest or hoard, yet). But, they seem to be functioning well. It generates common coins, rare coins, gems and art, and magic items. Within gems it generates the quantity and values of the gems, and for the magic items it generates the quantity and type of potions.

I added some additional common potions to the list (since the current playtest rules have only two common potions, climbing and healing, and that would make for some silly results after a while). I added a couple uncommon potions (water breathing and poison), and then some unlisted ones that I thought made sense (Resistance, Speak with Animals, Feather Fall, and Disguise Self, which are all either cantrips or 1st level spells). I also skewed the odds to bias to Healing, then Climbing, then Resistance (a cantrip), and then the others.

Eventually I hope to make this just one generator, where you enter the level of the encounter and it generates off that. But for now, you have to select the generator for the specific level.

Anyway, if you click that link in the upper right corner called Generators, and enter "pouch" in the search box, you will find the ones I've created so far.

I found it really helpful, it's now just a click of a button to generate some low level pouches.

If anyone has ideas for anything else for these charts, let me know. And I will let you know when I get the rest of the levels, the chests, and the hoards entered.

Last edited:

Wulfgar76

First Post
Screen shot 2014-01-23 at 3.27.45 PM.png

As a gritty DM, I approve of this generator.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
OK, the D&D Next Beta Test Random Treasure Generator is complete!

The only thing missing at this point is I didn't add all the details of the various kinds of art object you can find (I will get to that). This does not harm any functionality, as it still includes the art in the generators, it will just say "3 Decorative Art valued at 52 gold pieces each" instead of "A Silver Ewer valued at 50 gold pieces, a carved bone statuette worth 56 gold pieces, and a cloth-of-gold vestments work 49 gold pieces".

Other than that, it's all in there. And let me tell you, this was way more work than I expected. For example, every single spell in the game needed to be entered in the data behind the scenes, so it could generate random scrolls (every weapon type, and every armor type, too). And unlike the art, I did enter all the descriptive data for gemstones, so it will tell you if they are brown-green garnets or golden yellow topaz instead of just "2 semiprecious gems valued at 50 gold pieces each".

Also, in the process of doing this I found there are definitely some gaps in the treasure information that the developers hadn't gotten to yet for the beta test. As explained above for example, they hadn't gotten to enough common potions.

Anyway, you can now choose the encounter level (1-20) and the treasure type (pouch, chest, or hoard) and it will draw from the appropriate table and adjust based on the level you selected.

I am very please with this, and I hope others get some use out of it as well, and tell others it exists. I know I have many months of using the playtest rules until the final rules come out, and this will come in handy for my group when someone says "What's in the pouch on the gnoll I just killed?" Now I can just click a button and tell them, and then cut and paste it to keep track for later.

You can find it here:

D&D Next Random Treasure Generator

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
View attachment 60359

As a gritty DM, I approve of this generator.

Of course, this reminds me of Simplicity's classic quote:

A group of men head by. They are not tarrying or running. Nor are they singing. They don't seem to be making apple pies. As far as you can tell, they're not talking about sports. They neither have sombreros nor stilts. These men are not acrobats. They have no expression as they don't dally to the west.

Remove ads