Older Settings that Deserve a Another Chance

MGibster

Legend
As my primary training as an engineer, I look at questions from all angles, falsifiability; so why does it not bother you? I can answer why it bothers me.
I don't know why it doesn't bother me it just doesn't. Honestly, I just think it's bizarre that Flavor Flav is mentioned in an RPG. And just to be clear, my question was in good faith and any answer isn't to be used as fodder to berate you or convince you to change your mind. You like what you like and I'm fine with that. I was just curious. I'm sure there are things I don't like that other people shrug off as no big deal. Different strokes and all that.

don't see anything here about anyone being assassinated, why did you mention that?
The Wikipedia entry on Underground mentions their assassinations in the setting.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I don't know why it doesn't bother me it just doesn't.
I thought that might be your answer. Mine is simply that it is not fun. Designers often use their games as a bully pulpit, so pro or con, either way the message becomes not fun, at least not something I want to deal with in a game.

MGibster

Legend
s simply that it is not fun. Designers often use their games as a bully pulpit, so pro or con, either way the message becomes not fun, at least not something I want to deal with in a game.
Ah ha! You fell into my trap! Now read my 10,000 word treatise on why you should like it! Actually, “it’s not fun” is the best reason not to like it.

I thought that might be your answer. Mine is simply that it is not fun. Designers often use their games as a bully pulpit, so pro or con, either way the message becomes not fun, at least not something I want to deal with in a game.
The Underground RPG was very openly intended to be satirical political commentary. It's the main focus of the setting. As such having a Chuck D day as a national holiday commemorating the assassination of Public Enemy by an out of control cop very effectively communicates the mood and themes of the book going forward.

Remove ads