D&D 3E/3.5 On Deities weapons in 3.5 edition

Merlion

First Post
In FR Druids can BECOME profcient with and use there deities favored weapon without violating there Druidic oaths even if that weapon isnt on the usual druid list.

Staffan

Legend
isoChron said:
Hmm, help me out. I think I read somewhere (FAQ?) that druids in the FR get free proficiencies in their deities favored weapon (maul for silvanus for example).
Not quite. Certain druids in FR can use non-traditional weapons without breaking their oaths, but they don't get free proficiency in them.

Spatula

Explorer
Merlion said:
Eiliastraee is merely an example of a deity who is not a "war god" and doesnt have the War Domain but has either a strong strong assocation with there favored weapon, or something combat-related in there portfolio(or both in her case)
Okay, so what's another example?
Beside which: She's a drow goddess. she has drow, surface elven, half elven and human worshipers.
Her specfic favored weapon is bastard sword with which elves are not profcient.
And I dont believe drow get the longsword or rapier proficiency anyway
I don't see anything in the FRCS about her having human worshippers, just that she's the diety of "good drow". The FRCS does say that many of her worshippers multiclass with fighter, ranger, and bard. Her favored weapon is a bastard sword in 3E. But as a diety of sword play, using any sword is good enough (which all elves and yes drow are proficient with) for those following her. There's no need to use a bastard sword specificially.

Merlion

First Post
Other examples would include Moradin(although he might have the War domain in FR cant remember but he doesnt in PH), Garl Glittergold(His Axe Arumdina is one of his best friends), Torm(god of paladins and a god emphasizing martial pursuits towards the goal of defense and fullfilling duties but not a war god), Miellikki(similiar deal with Rangers), Osiris, Chauntea, Solonor Thelandira(god or Archery but not war), and Helm(see Torm). thats just out of the PHB and FR

Spatula

Explorer
Merlion said:
Other examples would include Moradin(although he might have the War domain in FR cant remember but he doesnt in PH), Garl Glittergold(His Axe Arumdina is one of his best friends), Torm(god of paladins and a god emphasizing martial pursuits towards the goal of defense and fullfilling duties but not a war god), Miellikki(similiar deal with Rangers), Osiris, Chauntea, Solonor Thelandira(god or Archery but not war), and Helm(see Torm). thats just out of the PHB and FR
Solonor is the elven god of archery, and all elves are proficient with bows. The others aren't war gods and their portfolios aren't associated with a particular weapon (like Solonor with bows or Eiliastraee with swords). Garl Glittergold is a god of gems and trickery. Chauntea and Mielikki are nature dieties. Torm is the god of loyalty and obiedience, while Helm is the god of protectors and guardians. Wielding a sword is not neccessary to fufill the tenets of either priesthood. If the cleric of a god wishes a more martial focus, he or she can always take levels of one of the warrior classes. Personally, I think it woud be a little boring if every cleric of a particular god wielded the exact same type of weapon.

Merlion

First Post
Well I disagree on the nature of the portfolios of some of the gods..and I never said they were all martial I said they all had special/strong associations with their favored weapons.
And again, the elven profciency thing doesnt really have anything to do with what we're discussing...its just a way of shooting down specfic examples.
Well...in my personaly experince most or all clerics all already wield their deities favored weapon, they just have to spend a feat for it.
And again this is all just my opnion.

Blothar

First Post
Let me ask you something...If the clerics had a free martial weapon proficiency in their dieties favored weapon, who would play a cleric whose patron has a quarterstaff or dagger for a favored weapon? I'm sure that there would be some brave players that would, but 95% wouldn't.

Olive

Explorer
HOUSE RULE WARNING:

i've let some clerics swap out a feat for a feat: no heavy armour prof, but short sword instead.

i think thats fair.

Merlion

First Post
Blothar said:
Let me ask you something...If the clerics had a free martial weapon proficiency in their dieties favored weapon, who would play a cleric whose patron has a quarterstaff or dagger for a favored weapon? I'm sure that there would be some brave players that would, but 95% wouldn't.

I dont think designer decsions are or should be based on that sort of thing. see the latter parts of the Archmage poll thread.

Remove ads