One way to make a wayfarer in 4e

A friend of mine is starting a new campaign, and we're all making PHB 3 characters at 9th level. I discovered a wondrous magic item called the Staff of the Traveler, which has the property: Whenever you would shift, you can instead teleport the number of squares you would have shifted.

Monks shift a lot.

I've been looking for a way to make a character who can teleport short distances a lot. Since wayfarers have a bit of a staff schtick anyway (it's a badge of office), it's a pretty good fit.

So now I have a character who can teleport 2 squares as a move action at will, and occasionally can teleport farther. The GM was rightfully concerned about this being a bit overpowered, but we compromised. I can only use the power if I would actually be able to shift, so no free teleports to escape immobilized or restrained conditions, or while prone. But I can still evade some difficult terrain, hop over fences easily, and get past enemies.

For proper wayfarer themed powers, multiclass into bard (or ardent). Alternately, if your GM's amenable, maybe create an actual wayfarer class, which uses Centered Breath Monk as a baseline, but swaps out all instances of Wisdom for Charisma. Maybe change up the skill list too, a bit, and include some teleport utility powers from other classes. In exchange, maybe cut out flurry of blows.

I'm excited about the character.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
I had a mid-paragon tier player who managed to get a fey-lock with a move action TP 5 at will. Magic boots, something else - cost him most of his high level items and 2 or 3 feats to do it, though!

I had a mid-paragon tier player who managed to get a fey-lock with a move action TP 5 at will. Magic boots, something else - cost him most of his high level items and 2 or 3 feats to do it, though!

If you can find out how he did it, I'd be interested. Not right away for my next character, since I try not to go for the same schtick twice in a row, but some day. I mean, this GM I play with likes to play with his toys more than he likes having a long-term plot, so . . . we die. A lot. Makes for a nice change of pace from my own games.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
And here we go...

Eccles' mate Nick said:
Level 10 Warlock Utility Power Ethereal Sidestep then just add in a couple of + squares to teleport items like Eladrin Boots and Armour and viola, one bouncy teleporty at will Warlock for your enjoyment... did require two items of 16 level and feat support for the chain armour to get the 5 squares+

So on the face of it, any multi-class warlock could do it...

Remove ads