opinions please.. New Magic Item for Adventure..

Rpjunkie

First Post
I am creating a new magic item for an adventure I'm gonna run.. wanted opinions..

Lifestone : This small eggshaped stone pulses with a inner light. It can be used to store Xp (life). It can drain xp at a rate of 100 xp a day by touch attack against target. or the owner can voluntarily drain thier own to store for later use.. Ie. Making magic items etc... the owner can use the xp from the item at any time.. example wizard stores 5000 xp over a long time and finally wants to use the wish spell and drains the xp for use in the spell...

Does anyone have any good ideas or opinions regarding the item.. I am dying to know.

RPJ

graydoom

First Post
Personally, I think draining exp from others is too powerful if you can use it yourself.
A wizard with this, wish, and a town of commoners would be unstoppable.

[Edit: Oh, and this should be in house rules]

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
This is a dangerous item. I've thought of introducing something like this -- but be aware that it circumvents the game's only real limit on item creation, by allowing unscrupulous wizards to drain the life of their victims.

If you use it, I'd say that some part of the consciousness of the victim is drained along with the XP, and is generally not very happy about being trapped in a magic item (or powering a spell); there's a reasonably good chance, say 1% per 100 XP drained, that any item created with the soulstone (or spell cast with it) will be cursed.

Daniel

Rpjunkie

First Post
I like the % chance of making an item cursed.. The item is actualy in the hands of a bad guy in town kidnapping commoners and draining xp.. adventurers are gonna have to find him and kill him to get the item. funny thing is I have orcs raiding village for food at same time so they have to find out its not orcs doing the kidnapping.. hahaha.

RPJ

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Rpjunkie said:
I am creating a new magic item for an adventure I'm gonna run.. wanted opinions..

Lifestone : This small eggshaped stone pulses with a inner light. It can be used to store Xp (life). It can drain xp at a rate of 100 xp a day by touch attack against target. or the owner can voluntarily drain thier own to store for later use.. Ie. Making magic items etc... the owner can use the xp from the item at any time.. example wizard stores 5000 xp over a long time and finally wants to use the wish spell and drains the xp for use in the spell...

Does anyone have any good ideas or opinions regarding the item.. I am dying to know.

RPJ
I wouldn't let it drain xp; that's abused too easily. Rather, let it drain levels and then convert some of this energy into xp - say, 100 xp per level drained. That way, anyone who wants a battery of unlimited xp has to depopulate entire countries - which is much more balanced (but much less nice, of course:D).

[edit]Oh, and I moved this to House Rules. :)[/edit]

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
How about making it cast a spell similar to enervation 1/day and for every level drained 100 xp are stored in the stone.

Just a suggetion.

Remove ads