[OT] Champions 5th Ed at at DunDraCon

TalonComics

First Post
Horacio said:
So if you like Hero System, why don't you pre-order Hero System 5th Ed? Right now some distributors don't trust on Hero Games (bad memories from the last years are slow to die), and pre-order could make them change their opinion.

To find a list of retailers to pre-order, look at Hero Games website, in the link 'retailers'.

Hmm, I better get crackin' then! :D

Was there any word to the cover art? I loved the George Perez art and in all honestly it would be difficult to top. Also, if early April is the estimated release date then the book should be going to print in a few weeks or so.
[Edit: Okay, it helps when you actually read the website info. ;)
I hate to complain but what in the heck are they thinking with that cover? There's hundreds of comicbook artists out there and that's the cover they're going with? No art? The original Naked Man logo? Yuck. :(
]

I'll get my Hero Games page up tonight. :)

~Derek

Last edited:

MulhorandSage

First Post
They're not trying to top the Perez 4th edition cover art; that approach is considered too superhero-centric; the company wants people to consider Hero 5/FrED as a generic system, not a superhero game. The cover is a fairly plain black and green text logo. It's previewed here:

http://www.herogames.com/h5.htm

Scott Bennie

Black Omega

First Post
And this does mark a big shift from the past. 4th Ed, AKA the Big Blue Book (BBB), was basically a Superhero game..but you can also do anything else you want as well. From the sound of it FREd will be a generic game..but it's great for Superheros! And cover-all-genre art tends to suck.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I love Hero Games for super hero FRP.

I hate Hero Games for fantasy FRP.

I hope they cleaned up a lot of Fantasy Hero such as infinite spells from spell casters or the fantasy genre will be a bust again.

I also hope they have some form of incentive system for staying within a character concept (beyond Elemental Controls).

And finally, I hope they have a better system for the Speed of a character changing. I once recommended that they have a little 12, 24, 36, ... chart where you add your speed up each segment (e.g. speed 3 changing to 5: 3, 6, 9, 12, 17, 22, 27, 32, 37, 42, 47, 52, so actions on 4, 7, 9, 12). This is effectively what happens (in 4E and earlier) with normal speed anyway.

I look forward to it, but I hope it's not just a bunch of new skills, talents, powers, advantages, limitations, disadvantages, and frameworks (although of course you need this stuff). Like DND 3E revision, I hope they clean out the weak stuff and reinforce the strengths.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
TalonComics said:

Hmm, I better get crackin' then! :D

Was there any word to the cover art? I loved the George Perez art and in all honestly it would be difficult to top. Also, if early April is the estimated release date then the book should be going to print in a few weeks or so.
[Edit: Okay, it helps when you actually read the website info. ;)
I hate to complain but what in the heck are they thinking with that cover? There's hundreds of comicbook artists out there and that's the cover they're going with? No art? The original Naked Man logo? Yuck. :(
]

I'll get my Hero Games page up tonight. :)

~Derek

So you will sell Hero System too, Derek?
As you wasn't on their retailers list (BTW, you should ask them to include you, both in online and brick & mortar shops) I pre-ordered it from Warehouse 23 (Steve Jackson Games), but I want to pre-order a second one (one for the Gamemaster, one for the players :) ), and I'd like ordering it from you...

NLP

First Post
KarinsDad said:
I love Hero Games for super hero FRP.
Me too!

I hate Hero Games for fantasy FRP.
I love it for fantasy games too!

I hope they cleaned up a lot of Fantasy Hero such as infinite spells from spell casters or the fantasy genre will be a bust again.
Limiting the character is the GM's job. If you like finite spells, then you make the character buy them with charages. With the Hero System I've simulated over a dozen different styles of magic, including D&D style (which is the most limiting and is virtually un-used within the genre except by D&D players). Sometimes you just have to think outside the D&D box. :)

I also hope they have some form of incentive system for staying within a character concept (beyond Elemental Controls).
I think this is also part of the GM's and player's jobs. I don't believe anyone should or would design a "bad" character concept. Thus you shouldn't get too many perks.

"I wanna play my three-legged, blind Centaur! What kind of incentives will I get?" That would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it? :)

I'd respond too your Speed question, but I'm not sure what you're talking about there, so I'll skip it.

I look forward to it, but I hope it's not just a bunch of new skills, talents, powers, advantages, limitations, disadvantages, and frameworks (although of course you need this stuff). Like DND 3E revision, I hope they clean out the weak stuff and reinforce the strengths.
As far as I know, there are only a few new Skills, no new Powers (though some have been changed), a few new Advantages (Inherent comes to mind) and Limitations, and no new Power Frameworks, though there will be many more examples of how to use them.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
There will be many examples, at least one for power, and some powers with multiple examples. I think it's going to be very well oganised, at least according to the previews they have shown.

BTW, Derek/Taloncomics, you haven't answered my precedent post in this thread!

NLP

First Post
Horacio said:
BTW, Derek/Taloncomics, you haven't answered my precedent post in this thread!
Derek mentioned to me in an email that he would be carrying it, and that he would have it on his website as soon as he can get around to it. From his comments here, I'm guessing that he was waiting for a cover picture to put up. Hopefully he can use the one on the Hero website.

Remove ads