• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OT:Looking for a good book/series set in Feudal Japan

Black Omega

First Post
Sean Russell's stuff is more Chinese than Japanese but a pleasing blend and well suited to a more general OA campaign. Personally, I'd skip the last 50 or so pages of the second book. As good as everything before that is, Russell pulls a 'Deer in the headlights' when the time comes to actually being the story to a climax. As a result the end is more anti-climax and the twist I saw coming well before hand. But that's maybe 50 pages out of a thousand total. Definitely recommended.

Skade

Explorer
i was not terribly happy with the conclusion either. You can't always get what you want, though.

Things that would be helpful to a gamer in the books are the details in gii, tea traditions, speech patterns, layered action of politics and war, and the reverence some cultures may have for monks.

FraserRonald

Explorer
Across the Nightingale Floor

I would certainly throw my vote into the Shogun and Musashi camps. Also, someone mentioned Akira Kurosawa. You have got to see Seven Samurai.

As for other books, there is a new novel out called Across the Nightingale Floor which is set in a fantasy version of feudal Japan. It is a really good read with some great characters and a nice twist on the ninja legend. If you are interested I have a review of the novel at my E-Zine, Sword's Edge.

Hope this helps.

Take care all!

Tenbones

First Post
Feudal Japan related novels

Hmm, everyone seems to have covered the usual fare. If you're wanting to read good fiction set in Feudal Japan try some of the following:

"The Sword of Hachiman" by Lyn Guest

Good story about a samurai who is in constant rivalry against his brother. The main character is nicely flawed, with dreams no further than becoming a hero. He's totally caught up with gaining prestige and glory. All the while political machinations and treachery swarm around him. It's very well written, and historically liberal (as most historical fiction tends to be), but definitely worth reading.

"Death at the Crossroads" by Dale Furotani

It's about a ronin samurai who is searching for the lost daughter of his fallen daimyo. Really interesting characters, plus its far more detailed (and accurate) than say, Shogun, which while well written from an entertainment perspective, it's historical accuracy requires several handfuls of salt to go with it. This series is a trilogy, and pretty good.

"Deathwind of Vedun" by T.C. Rypel

Fascinating story if you can find all the books in the series. It's one that most gamers would be very interested to read. It's about a samurai named Gonji, who is in Europe seeking a legendary city in the Carpathian mountains called "Vedun". There's LOTS of fighting, east vs. west swordfighting, mass combat, weird fantasy elements and monsters. It's an interesting series. Well worth looking into.

Tenbones

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads