• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
5 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide

Having hit the ball out of the park with the Core Rulebook and excellent Monster Manuals, Paizo doubled down when they published the Advanced Player's Guide. Stuffed with high quality content (and beautiful as every Paizo hardcover is), this book is all but essential for anyone who wants to move beyond the Core Classes. The authors took the core content and ran with it, filling in most of the archetypes players may have missed in the Core Rulebook for the Core Classes, and then adding a few more excellent Classes to the mix. New equipment, new feats, etc. etc. etc. DMs will be happy to hear that the balance in this book is also good enough that additions to your game from it shouldn't merit more scrutiny than anything from the Core Rulebook (except possibly the spells).

marroon69

Explorer

While this book is not essential to play pathfinder it sure adds alot of awesomness, new feats, classes and the addition of traits. It adds a few new maneuvers and some optional rules. My only complaint is that some of the new classes (summoner and witch) seem to have a balancing issue but that is not enough to drop the book to 4 stars

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous

This book presents interesting character options and playing challenges, and with a few exceptions it is balanced well enough no GM should have an issue with it. I found it very easy to find what I want quickly, too. It takes my games beyond the same old and has even convinced a few would be quitters to stick around.

JLant

First Post

Didn't just roll out new classes but also freshened up the existing classes *without* tanking game balance.

Herr der Qual

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide

This book introduces my favorite class in Pathfinder the Oracle, so awesome, there are some new class specific feats for the new classes, some new expansion feats for existing feats that let you specialize your abilities a little more, there are some cool and some broken new spells in here, a few cool prestige classes, and that's all. Fantastic book if you're looking for some extra flavor for your campaign.

Starfox

Hero
3 out of 5 rating for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide

First, I must say I do not actually own this book, and has not read it from cover to cover. I have encountered it mainly online, ad d20pfsrd.com. Since I play Pathfinder almost exclusively using the online rules, this mainly means I can't judge production values, which I assume are up to the regular great Pazio standards.

So, what do I feel about this book? How can I even have an opinion about it? Well, the reason is that almost every time when I find a rules, spell, class feature, or other thing from Pathfinder to be problematic, and look at the bottom of the page to see what the source it is, it is this book. So, while it has many great things in it, it also has most of the problems in Pathfinder in it is as well. Well, lately the Advanced Class Guide, a very similar book, is giving it some competition.

That said, I like several of the classes from this book. So even when I say I didn't like it, I still give it a rating of 3. My thoughts about this book is that it was written to compete with 4E, which was new around this time. Several of the rules are 4E-isms, such as odd uses of attributes and several of the classes.

JEB

Legend

This entire book is amazing. Great new classes, great new class options, and lots of other very interesting and useful stuff for your Pathfinder games. Very highly recommended.

Remove ads