PC in Jail - Trial Coming Up

Trellian

Explorer
One of the PCs was arrested last session. he had been set up by the uber bad guy to deliver an envelope containing a deadly fire gem to a merchant. He was blackmailed into helping him, or risk that he would turn over evidence and present a witness to the authorities. He choose not to help the bad guy, and is now imprisoned, while the other players try to get some evidence of his innocence.

I have problems finding a way out for the poor bastard.. he is charged with murder one, but he has already committed to manslaughter... anyone think that the Cormyrean legal system could acquit him of any guilt because he was set up? I do not..

Regarding his punishment... according to the old City of Splendors boxed set, a murder punishment can give 10-15 years in jail, or the death penalty... a manslaughter is 5 years exile, or 3 years hard labor...

Any thoughts on any of this? I am reluctant to sending him to jail.. it kind of forces him to create a new character.. maybe exile would be best? I am tired of Cormyr after 6 years of play time...

Gilladian

Adventurer
It sounds to me like you know what you want to do, so just do it! Have some powerful good benefactor help the PC out if need be. Surely you can come up with a mysterious reason for that to happen? Have the other pcs bribe somebody if necessary. People who are bribable often make others aware of that fact.

Gilladian

LostSoul

Adventurer
Jailbreaks are always fun adventures... but be wary, because once the PCs break out of one jail they should be able to do it again and again.

Maybe they could get help from a mysterious benefactor. Or even better, help from an evil benefactor. Kind of a "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't".

Old One

First Post
Enter Johnny Cochrane...

Gilladian is on the right track here...

Have a flamboyant solicitor (ala Johnny Cochrane) come to his defense, unasked. The lawyer has been hired by a powerful behind-the-scenes benefactor who wants something from the PCs.

It could either be really good or really, really bad (so bad that the PC wishes he was in jail:D!

The benefactor could:

(1) Want the PCs to perform a dangerous mission

(2) Need the PC as a sacrifice in a dark ritual

(3) Be an old friend or old adversary of the PCs family

The possibilities are endless...

~ Old One

Remove ads