• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PCGen question

jujutsunerd

Explorer
Re: Re: PCGen Is Not Going Away

smetzger said:
do you plan on getting non-WOTC copyright holder permission for things you are using but haven't asked permission for?

I think we think we already have asked permission for everything. But don't quote me on that, I just write code. :)

Do you know something we have missed? If so, please do bring it up with Bryan. I know that we do *not* want to include things we do not have permission for.

/Jonas

Knightcrawler

First Post
PCGen Question

As far as I know, in release 3.0 of PCGen, all the publishers that are included in the data files have given their blessing to PCGen to use their books. That is why most of the WotC stuff was removed except for what was in the SRD. Also much of the Sword & Sorcery files have also been removed for the same reasons that I mentioned in my previous post.

As to D20 or OGL I can't give you any answers on that.

Now word from the creators of PCGen is that GenCon was very productive for opening lines of communication with gaming companies, specifically WotC and SSS.

My advice is to take a look at the yahoo group for PCGen. There you will find all the most recent information and more.

Knightcrawler
PCGen LST Monkey

Nathanael

First Post
Here's a logical question...

Wouldn't having to license material make PCGen costly for the programmers? Wouldn't PCGen then stop being free? Hate to see that happen.

And yes, if you load PCGen 3 in the same folder as your previous version, it will keep/not write over the old lst files. Lucky me, I've been using it so long that I have backups all over the place:D .

smetzger

Explorer
Re: PCGen Question

Knightcrawler said:
As far as I know, in release 3.0 of PCGen, all the publishers that are included in the data files have given their blessing to PCGen to use their books. That is why most of the WotC stuff was removed except for what was in the SRD. Also much of the Sword & Sorcery files have also been removed for the same reasons that I mentioned in my previous post.

Ok, I just downloaded the 3.0 and it does look like you removed a bunch of 3rd party stuff that you didn't ask permission to use.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Re: Re: PCGen Question

smetzger said:
Ok, I just downloaded the 3.0 and it does look like you removed a bunch of 3rd party stuff that you didn't ask permission to use.

*switches off the auto repeat function that smetzer seems to have*

Sure hope that helps!

;-p

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Re: Re: PCGen Question

smetzger said:

also the files are getting cleaned up as well. REmember this was a release that was supposed to be STABLE. Hence the netbooks were ripped out as they were not the most up2date and ready for production.

Several books that did not meet the 'cut' as it may were removed. We simply ran out of time to do the cutover and only went with the stuff that had been updated and revamped with the current code in mind.

You can thank Tir Gwaith for spending most of 2 weeks on that!

bushfire

First Post
Nathanael said:
Wouldn't having to license material make PCGen costly for the programmers? Wouldn't PCGen then stop being free? Hate to see that happen.
A license doesn't have to cost any money. The D20 and OGL licenses are free for instance. :)

A license is just a contract that says party "x" can use property "y" that belongs to party "w" in this and that manner or for this and that purpose. Now a license *can* cost a lot of money, I am sure that Wotc didn't get the license for Star Wars for free, but it can be nothing more than a signed agreement between two parties.

So for instance Wotc could grant PCGen the license to include Forgotten Realms material into PCGen for the purposes of character generation only. The developers could not then create FR modules or novels with that license. Now whether Wotc is willing or not to do this is up to them.

The sticky point would be those properties that Wotc does not own, Star Wars, CoC, WoT, etc. These are products are produced by Wotc under license from the original holders (Lucas Films, Choasium, etc). Wotc most likely does not have the rights to grant anyone else the use of these things (sub-license) even if they wanted to.

Knightcrawler

First Post
PCGen

Some of the stuff that I've heard seems to indicate that the sources that are least likely to be back are those that WotC has liscensed from someone else; specifically WoT and CoC.

From what I've heard though Lucas is usually pretty good in letting fan created stuff stand as long as no money is changing hands. So we can hope that the Star Wars files will be bacl soon.

We can but wait and hope. Patients my young jedi.

Knightcrawler
-PCGen LST Monkey
-MM Race Munchkin:D

Remove ads