Personal Ties to the Story for my PCs

Zithal

First Post
Hey everyone,

My name's Rob and I've started DM's Zeitgiest. Like some, I was initially turned off by the "technology", but after reading the first few adventures, I'm incredibly excited to get started.

When I do pre-generated campaigns, I really like the characters to have a personal connection to the story. I have a few ideas, and wanted to bat those around here, to see if I'm writing myself into a corner, or if anyone has additional suggestions. I'll introduce who we have playing and what they're tie is, in with the story.

Human Female Rogue (technologist) and a Human Male Bard (Spirit Medium) are related members of the Kell Guild. Lorcen Kell is the Rogue's father, and Bard's uncle. For "unknown reason", Lorcen framed his own daughter for the murder of Lorcen's brother (the original head of the Guild), and married the Bard's mother, whether it was forced or willing, is unknown to the characters at this point. The Bard came to the the Rogue's aid, and both fled Flint. They have both came back to clear their name and get revenge on a family that betrayed them.

The trickiest part of this is that I'd image that Lorcen would be very aware of them coming back and joining the RHC. (It's been a year since the event). I'm considering playing it so that there's an understanding of sorts. (You don't pursue us, we won't reveal you). It's been years since the murder, so Lorcen would have likely cemented his leadership and is likely not threatened if the truth of the matter is revealed. Still... seems a little sloppy that Lorcen would just let them play secret agent.

The next character is a Dwarven Grenadier Eschatologist, who has two ties that I need to resolve. He took part in the Third Yerasol War and so I want to tie him to King Aodhan. He served with him and potentially knows something about the King that the King wouldn't want out. I'd rather not display the King in a bad light, so I'm working on other ideas here.

In addition, his nephew was a member of the RHC, and the only information he has was that he was sent on a mission that his team never returned from. The RHC sent a team to follow up, and THAT team never returned. I need a location a) that's far enough away that Stolver won't send an expedition there immediately (but says that once he gains rank, he'll consider it), b) that will be a place that the PCs will eventually go in the adventure (somewhere around Adventures 3-5 I think) The lazy way out is to reveal the dead bodies at some point, but a better story is either the team getting possessed, or the nephew has been working with the Ob all along and has led the team(s) into a trap for "a reason". He now can't go back, but the PCs would eventually have to confront him (and gives our Dwarf a personal reason to hate the Ob)

We have a Cleric (Yerasol Veteran) who served under the Dutchess in the 4th war. His story is developing into a character that seems to be the only one to be able to hear his "God". (He's a traditional Cleric in a world where this shouldn't be happening) He's found no other people that had this connection, and he travels helping others with his gift. He seems the most likely to eventually be the next King, but I'm not completely sure where the "God that only he can experience" is going. I'm thinking of introducing an underground sec that follows it that was hunted into near extinction by the Clergy long ago, so this connection is still in it's infancy. Perhaps Triegenes had a companion that also attained godhood, that's been lost to time.

The 5th character is a Human Sorcerer (currently Spirit Medium, but I've suggested switching to Skyseer -- well a dark version that's constantly tormented by dark visions of the future). He has no strong tie to the story yet, but at somepoint a vision encouraged him to kill his mentor (who turned out to be a Deva), so he's a little obsessed with finding his mentor's current reincarnation.

Lastly, we have a Dwarven Fighter (Martial Scientist). The only notes I have from the player is that "Was sent to Banhaman Academy in Danor by a benefactor – my father’s sister who owned a mine in Drakr, Doda Ironbeard. The agreement was to return to Drakr after college to work as a guard in the mines." I need to talk with her more, but this character doesn't have much of a connection yet.

Anyway, that a bit too long. Any suggestions for the above, or any suggestions for personal ties into the campaign that I use now (or even reveal later), from anyone that's further in the campaign than I am.

Thanks!! This really looks like a ton of fun.

hirou

Explorer
He took part in the Third Yerasol War and so I want to tie him to King Aodhan. He served with him and potentially knows something about the King that the King wouldn't want out. I'd rather not display the King in a bad light, so I'm working on other ideas here.
Check adventure 7 and Beshela's story about the king, his sister, a kraken and a certain Danoral vessel. Basically, his most well-known war explot is credit to a mer fey power (of course, it may as well be just a fey boast). Also, if reading between the lines... Do you know that your king was basically a pirate?

In addition, his nephew was a member of the RHC, and the only information he has was that he was sent on a mission that his team never returned from. The RHC sent a team to follow up, and THAT team never returned
When in doubt - use Methia. It's the ultimate blind spot in the world. Null-magic dead zone of doom, divination proof area 51, Ziggurat of Nem, real world-Bleak Gate-Dreaming triple point - you name it. Any of Yerasol wars provide a plausible excuse for some special operations there, whereas during the peace times it's somewhat impossible. For another idea, check adventure 8 and the city-state of Pala in the middle of Malice Lands. Not much of obvious interest to RHC there, but oh boy, how convenient it will be for the party to know that place.

Perhaps Triegenes had a companion that also attained godhood, that's been lost to time.
Check adventure 11 for the true story of Triegenes. You'll be surprised. If you're in dire need of gods, orc tribes of Ber certainly had some at some point, I think adventure 6 mentions something about it, but I may be misremembering. From top of my head, there's Ashima-Shimtu, whose blood is literally everywhere in the world by this point, there's some psionic possibilities (literal God of the new Era coming to senses anyone?), there's a whole lot of very powerful and most probably dead/ascended NPC from War of the Burning Sky (which semi-officially happened in the same world), from [sblock='WotBS spoilers']Draconic Mother of Dreams, to hyper-powerful mages, to primordial beasts which dwarf Risuri titans, to actual PC becoming the new soul of this world.[/sblock]

Good luck and definitely don't take my advice from 3 30am very seriously :D

Remove ads