• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Phandelver and Below WotC First Look Video

darjr

I crit!
Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk | First Look | D&D
It’s covered in article form in a great way here
https://www.enworld.org/threads/sneak-peak-of-phandelver-and-below-the-shattered-obelisk.699396/

IMG_8162.jpeg
IMG_8163.jpeg

IMG_8164.jpeg

IMG_8165.jpeg

Last edited:

Ondath

Hero
The emphasis on weird. Is that new? I’m intrigued.
IIRC, the adventure has been advertised as being "cosmic horror" for a while now. I don't know if Phandalin is the best place to add such an adventure, but oh well.

Also, I have to say, I don't really like the way they've been advertising the latest books. The Glory of the Giants video where James Wyatt weirdly bantered with the other writer was awkward, and this is also awkward. I'd much rather prefer a well-designed presentation that properly tells us what the book is about. Oh well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The emphasis on weird. Is that new? I’m intrigued.
Loat Mines was certainly not leaning too far into the weird...but there were hints of it with stuff like the Nothic, or the main villain being a Drow after some ancient secret stuff.

It was meant to be a basic starting Adventure, so Lost Mines was pretty standard stuff. Having made the decision to expand and preserve Lost Mines in a larger format, I think that making the expansion extremely weird is a brilliant choice...because Phandelin is such a normal baseline, it gives contrast to the Eldritch madness. It also reminds me of T1-4, with the Tem0le of Elemental Evil being a major escalation of weird over T1.

Remove ads