D&D 5E Planegea: Prehistoric Fantasy

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The price thing and salt ... yeah, I'm skeptical about how they're handling that. If I was a GM I'd mostly use that as a rough guide to relative values when PCs are bartering, rather than just offhandedly assume that salt is a universally-accepted medium of exchange. If nothing else, you're not going to have much luck trading salt to the tribe that lives on the salt flats. And monsters aren't going to hoard the stuff either, when you kill a monster the real loot will be its hide, teeth, bones etc. Not to mention salt is prone to dissolving and washing away if it gets wet...
People dont tend to live on Salt flats because the areas are usually dry and sterile which means theres nothing to eat. Salt mining also causes rapid dehydration for those in constant contact which is why it was a job worked by slaves or prisoners. Prior to the industrial revolution Salt was more valuable than gold and major trade item.

Good luck with discussing distances in-character! And as they actually seem to use salt as currency, how they communicate prices?

It is rather silly, and actually comes across as kinda insulting towards actual prehistoric people. I'm sure they could count.

not really, if something is more than 9 days travel away then saying many days is perfectly valid, I dont really need to know the next town is 12 miles away, I can just say ”a half days walk”

as is time keeping - If I divide my day in to four (Sunrise, Noon, Sunset, Midnight) then I can say “I will meet you 2 hours before noon”, same with a month (New Moon-Waxing Quarter-Full Moon-Waning Quarter-New Moon).

“Thus it is prophesied that on the 6th day after Full Moon, in the first month of spring, 2 hours after noon then shall be the coming of the 9 armed Monkey King”

Last edited:

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this initially started as a homebrew product that is freely available. It was then expanded upon to become a KS product. I cannot remember if I backed this or not. Will have check.

I like a lot of things in the homebrew pdf.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but this initially started as a homebrew product that is freely available.
Yeah. It's a cool story. Dude homebrewed a setting, put it out for free, and it took off...to the point of Atlas Games approaching him and Kickstarted the publication of his homebrew.

There's something like three pre-release versions floating around. All freely and legally shared. Planegea - First Look, which is the Atlas Game preview. Whispers of Planegea, which is an early homebrew version. And Star-Shaman's Song of Planegea, which is the more professional-looking version the author put out before being picked up by Atlas.
I like a lot of things in the homebrew pdf.
Same. I didn't know about it until the chatter just prior to the Kickstarter, but once I saw what it was I was hooked. Tracked down all the info available and it all looks fantastic.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
One of the things I absolutely love is the idea of things and parts of nature becoming divine. A river or gully or tree simply becoming a god. Very animistic...and I love that. Also using local gods as a replacement for a magic shop. So neat. You want to buy a magic item, you gotta go down to the river and negotiate with The River. See what it wants. See what will appease it. Make it happy. Then it will enchant something for you. Or gift you a boon. Absolutely stealing that.
And, by the way, I did steal that. The players came across a divine, animistic, awakened grove. It was close to the starting location, friendly and predisposed to the PCs and wanted to bargain...so of course they attacked it and tried to burn it down.

Remove ads