Polyhedral dice numbering conventions

Thalain

First Post
The most commonly used d20 convention uses "odd" and "even" hemispheres, with opposites adding to n+1 and the 1/20 in the middle of their hemisphere. 1 is surrounded by 7/13/19 and 20, accordingly, by 2/8/14. With the 20 on top, one of the most common ring configurations, clockwise, is 2,18,4,14,6,16,8,10,12.

This seems to be the setup that allows for least fudging by a player who can control rolling speed to make a certain section of the die come up more often. It spreads out the highest and lowest five numbers quite well. The pattern also makes it easy to instantly spot a player using the novelty cheat die with two 20s and no 1 - the fake 20 is surrounded by all odd numbers.

Magic's spindown life counters do not follow this pattern of course - they are not intended to be rolled as randomizer D20s and have their numbers in a spiraling pattern around the die with opposite faces typically not adding up to 21. Beware of players using them in campaigns - if they can control speed and bounce, a dexterous player can make them roll 11+ with high reliability.

Last edited:

tankenka

First Post
Lols! I didn't either until it was pointed out! *falls over laughing* 2004 O.O! I'm only 8 YEARS late, hahaha ~ well, on the flip side, it prompted me to write something concrete for the RPG I'm designing. Between research, sleep, and getting myself outside to train ~ there's little motivation left to hash out such detail.

Thanks for a few good laughs in the newest replies, and also for the very informative post from Thalain. Had to re-read it a couple times (just to wrap my brain around it... I'm not terribly mathematically inclined).

tcm3646

First Post
Up until the early 90's, all of my d20's added up to 21, but around then everything started to change...
I know this is 17 years later and you probably won't notice this, but yes they had dice that follow that rule, however in 1993, Magic: the Gathering came out and the dice they use for life counters, the numbers are in a sequential spiral from bottom to top and top to bottom.

tcm3646

First Post
The most commonly used d20 convention uses "odd" and "even" hemispheres, with opposites adding to n+1 and the 1/20 in the middle of their hemisphere. 1 is surrounded by 7/13/19 and 20, accordingly, by 2/8/14. With the 20 on top, one of the most common ring configurations, clockwise, is 2,18,4,14,6,16,8,10,12.

This seems to be the setup that allows for least fudging by a player who can control rolling speed to make a certain section of the die come up more often. It spreads out the highest and lowest five numbers quite well. The pattern also makes it easy to instantly spot a player using the novelty cheat die with two 20s and no 1 - the fake 20 is surrounded by all odd numbers.

Magic's spindown life counters do not follow this pattern of course - they are not intended to be rolled as randomizer D20s and have their numbers in a spiraling pattern around the die with opposite faces typically not adding up to 21. Beware of players using them in campaigns - if they can control speed and bounce, a dexterous player can make them roll 11+ with high reliability.
Just saw this, thank you for the more detailed explanation

aramis erak

Legend
Up until the early 90's, all of my d20's added up to 21, but around then everything started to change...
Most d20's did once the 1-20 numbering hit; then, MTG introduced the spindowns, which are set up so the adjacent numbers are on adjacent sides. Spindowns are decidedly unfair as d20's.

Plus, in the 90's, a dozen new companies started pumping out dice, and Gamscience's pattern was under copyright. Chessex didn't note the copyright on theirs.

I don't know who provided the mini-20's to FGU and Threshold in the 80's. (I loved the sharp edged mini-20's. Still do. But I wish they'd used harder plastic.)

Remove ads