Post Apocalypse deliveryman D20

nomotog

Explorer
I noticed death stranding was going to steam and I like the game’s mechanics and thought I wonder if you could do a PnP game based on it. I am not trying to replicate the game and the setting, but more taking a general idea and making my own thing. I had a bad habit of sitting on ideas like this for way too long, so I am trying to share early to fail faster. This is all really ruff concept.

Setting
Starting of light here, but the idea is that long ago humanity suffered a calamity that led to people retreating into isolated bunkers underground well the world went into over bloom and mutation. A few people were left outside and have adapted to the new world but it is hostile to the people in the bunkers. The people in the bunkers rely on the ones outside to help them deliver supplies and stay connected. Players would be playing the role of delivery-people transporting supplies to and from different bunkers.

Base system
This game is based on DnD 5ed but is mostly a set of sub subsystems, so it could be tweaked and moved over to anything. I just needed something to hang everything on, so I would have a starting point My idea has three core parts: the inventory system, the travel system, and the delivery system. They all feed into each other to hopefully give the players a neat little adventure.

Inventory system
We are using a modified inventory system with a big focus on restrictions. This is meant to be tight where you only get to bring a small amount of gear on your trip. The two systems in inventory are slots and encumbrance. For slots, each item you carry takes up one slot with some items coming in packs. Like if you want to carry a ladder, that is one slot. If you want to carry a bundle of 4 ropes that is another slot. Slots are also location-based. You get one slot for each arm. One slot for each leg and 6 slots for your back. If something is on your arms or legs, then you can grab and use it without any extra effort. If something is on your back then you need to stop and unpack your pack to retrieve it. The next system is encumbrance, each item as an encumbrance value. You add up all the encumbrance you have - your strength / by 2 and this is your encumbrance modifier. You subtract this from all physical activities. (Climbing, swimming, balance, etc.)

In your inventory, you will have gear and cargo. Gear helps you overcome challenges and cargo often makes things a little harder, but you need it to make your delivery.

Gear
Ladder- (Encumbrance 1, HP 1d6) A foldable 10’ foot ladder can be used to climb or cross gaps.

Rope- (Encumbrance 1, HP 1d6, 4 pack.) A 10-foot long rope. It can be used to climb down tall things, bind up objects, help ord rivers.

Stun Rod- (Encumbrance 1, HP 1d6) A 5-foot rod that can be used to deliver an electric shock.for 1d6 + Str damage.It holds 5 charges.

Speed frame (Encumbrance 1, HP 1d6) This takes up both leg slots. Your base movement increases by 10’ and you can add your proficiency bonus to dex and str checks maade to run fast.

Weight frame (Encumbrance -5, HP 1d6) This takes up both leg slots. Your base movement is lowered by 10’

Armored carry case (Encumbrance 1, HP +4) This case holds one item and adds +4 to the Item’s HP well inside it.

Cargo
FreshMeat- (Encumbrance 1, HP 1d6) Your not sure what kind of meat this is, but it has a pungent smell to it. When carrying it, any creature with the smell ability gains advantage on wisdom checks to find you. You also add one animal encounter to the trek deck for each unit of Freshmeat you carry.)

Metal- (Encumbrance 3, HP 1d10) Processed metal ingots. Really heavy, but also not hard to damage.

Machinery- (Encumbrance 1, HP 1d4) Strange old world machines. You're not sure what they are for, but they break so easily.

Dry slithers- (Encumbrance 1, HP 1d6) The case is blacked out, but you can hear something slither inside it. You hear that the people in the bunker eat what is inside. Don’t get it wet. If submerged in water then it takes 1d6 damage.

Lift stone- (Encumbrance -1, 1d4) A glowing blue rock that doesn't fall when you drop it.

Travel system
When you set out on a trip from one place to another is called a tick. The system behind it if you have a trek deck where you draw a card and that card represents what happens to you during that leg of the trek. How far you travel in distance units, and how long it takes in time units. It will also have an event that will hasten or delay you depending on how well you manage the event. Some cards will have - for time or distance when you draw a card like that draw another card until you get one that lists time and distance. All the events happen at the same time.

How to build a trek deck
The trek deck represents what can happen to you on the trip. It’s a lot like a random encounter table only in deck form. There are two ways to build a trek deck. One custom build one with the events the DM wants to show up. The other way is to have a hex map where you let the players pick a route on the map and then you assemble the deck based on the hexes they travel through. I am thinking both would be valid depending on the kind of campaign you want to run. (Scripted Vs sandbox)

Trek cards
Weather
Heavy Rain (Distance -, Time -) Heavy rain starts up. It will last 1d4+2 time units. Well, it rains everyone gets a disadvantage on dex checks. Low lying places also flood.

Pebble rain (Distance -, Time -) Tiny pebbles fall from the sky. It will last 1d4+2 time units. You need to make a con save DC10 for each leg of the trek, or take 1d6 damage.

Creatures
Beast- (Distance -, Time -) An aggressive creature happens across you. If you're carrying food it will attempt to attack and take it from you. (Add stats for the creature later.)

Sky Fincher (Distance -, Time -) A playful bird creature that likes shiny things. It will try and steal one piece of cargo. (Add stats later.)

Navigator (Distance -, Time -) A friendly? Map maker. If things go well with them, you can have them show you their map in progress. This lets you look at the next 3 cards in your trek deck. You can then remove and re-order them in any way.

Features
Fallen machine (Distance -, Time -) An old machine lies half-buried in the ground. You can spend 1 time unit to try and salvage parts from it. Make an int check DC 15. And you can salvage loot.

Weather shelter (Distance -, Time -) A metal tree grows from the ground. It can protect you from weather effects so long as you rest under it.

Landscape
River Crossing- (Distance 1, Time 1) A shallow 10’ wide river blocks your path. Crossing it requires an str check DC15. If you fail the check, you fall down and are swapped down the river. Anything your carrying gets waterlogged and takes 1d4 damage.

Rolling hills- (Distance 2, Time 1) Gentle rolling hills. You can just run for miles. You can make an Str check DC10 to sprint your way through this leg lowering the time by 1.

Clif- (Distance 1, Time 2) A sheer cliff blocks your way. It is 10’ high. You can climb it with an Str check DC17. If you fail, you fall 10’. Both you and your cargo take fall damage.

Delivery system
The delivery system is just the wrapper that ties everything together. To design a delivery you want to pick out the distance you need to travel, the time you can take, what you have to deliver, and what reward you get. The idea for balancing distance and time is that you can move 1 distance unit in 1 time unit with different chances to pull ahead or fall behind. The cargo mainly impacts what kind of gear players can carry and what kind of encumbrance bonus they have. For the reward, I am thinking don’t do actual gear because the players have limited inventory gear should be almost free. (Carrying around something you can’t easily replace is almost a punishment.) I am thinking of a points system, or a system if improving the land by adding new beneficial cards to the trek deck. Like if you deliver some metal, then it’s used to build a bridge.

This is my first draft of the idea. Going forward I have a few thoughts. Gear total redo, What I have here is basically a placeholder. Go weirder with the kind of gear and kind of environmental challenges that exist. I am toying with the idea of mounts. Right now this system assumes the players carry everything themselves, but maybe it’s more fun if the players have mounts that carry their stuff. (You get more movement types and mounts are going to be the first thing players try to get anyway so just head off that by starting with mounts.) The trek system, well simple in my head, looks so complex on paper. I am also thinking I maybe expand the hex craw elements. The numbers on everything are not final. Damage hit points and everything would get redone. At this stage, I am thinking more conceptually.

Remove ads