D&D General Preferences - Dungeon Detail?

How Much Dungeon Descriptive/Narrative Detail?

• Basically all rules information. As a DM I can add most description on my own.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 75% rules. Just enough theme there to give the dungeon a purpose and to tie it together.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • 50/50 pretty even split. Some rooms devoid of challenge (traps, monsters) is okay to add flavor.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • 25% rules. It's more important to have a narrative structure. I can populate the dungeon on my own.

Votes: 5 15.6%

Gilladian

Adventurer
Make the backstory and historical elements as generic and simple as possible. I hate adventures where they start off with three dense paragraphs of history, factions and preplot. Theyre useless. I want “this is the tomb of someone famous for killing giants. An eaerthquake recently broke the seals and now you’re going in”. But, inside, I want details and flavor. If it was just 3 goblins+stats, I would be so bored I never would read it. 3 goblins on watch for invading wild dogs, playing darts is a lot cooler.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I prefer that a published adventure just give me the narrative structure and descriptions, and leave the game mechanics to me. I don't need to see a full character sheet for the NPC villain and a map of the castle vault he is trying to rob; I just need a page or so of descriptions, and some background notes. Why is he planning the heist in the first place? What's he going to do with the money if he's successful? What will he do when the PCs interfere?

I prefer to supply my own monsters, traps, stat blocks, and treasures. It lets me tailor the challenges and rewards to fit the party.

R_J_K75

Legend
75%. I'd prefer more rules reprinted with just enough background info to run the adventure. The more fluff in the adventure is more text I have to read, memorize or notate and leaves less room for the crunch I'd rather have on the page to run the encounter. Ideally with a good module I should have to reference other books as little as possible, within reason. I know that full classes and spells aren't going to be reprinted, be truncated monster, NPCs and trap stats are nice.

Remove ads