Preliminary N.E.W. character generator

Hadaraii

First Post
I built this character generator for N.E.W. in Excel.

It's (obviously) not complete, and even what is there will likely change as the playtest documents get finalized. It's also not fully automated - some rules (like the humans "+1 to any attribute" need to be handled manually by replacing a cell formula with the actual value of 4. And some values like age, health, and credits need to be rolled by you, but the character sheet tells you what to roll. Just replace the formula with your score.

The character sheet had to be modified to display nicely in Excel. It prints out on two pages, and I can read the whole sheet on my monitor.

I have built 5 characters with it, and you'll see them included. All 5 are human, but I have the other starting races in the lookup tables too.

If you want to add to it, just insert lines on the "tables" sheet between the first career and the row that says "None", and the character sheet will automatically see your additions. If you add stuff that you would like me to add to the character generator, just send it over to me, and I'll see what I can do!

Please enjoy!

Hadaraii

Attachments

• WOIN_CharGen_20140417_v0.2.xlsx
    127.1 KB · Views: 139

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh my - that's quite astonishing! I can't wait to start playing with it! Is there a brief set of instructions to get us started? I'm not sure, looking at it, quite what I need to do.

Hadaraii

First Post
Some instructions

Yeah, instructions might help. At the bottom right, in the careers table, click on the cell in the "background" column, "Species" row. Select your species. Then, select a starter career, and 4 regular careers. The ability score values are adjusted automatically. If you choose a career with a choice of abilities (ie. College), the two choices show up as "/1". Replace one of the formulas with a 0, and the other with a 1, just as you would on a paper character sheet. All your derived stats are calculated automatically. Your career abilities show up automatically too. You need to enter a name at the top left. You will need to select your skills (from the book at the moment) and type them in to the Skills box at the bottom left. Your gear still need to be done manually for now too.

I'm sure I've forgotten stuff. I'll add an instructions tab, and maybe some colour coding, to the next version.

hmx

First Post
With your permission, I might use this as a boilerplate for creating a similar spreadsheet for O>L>D> I love excel character spreadsheets as they just make life so much easier.

I do have a question on derived stats, and more specifically, defenses. According to a least-squares fit, the equation for defenses should be 1.75*Stat+2 instead of (STAT-1)*1.75, which I believe I saw elsewhere was a typo. With standard rules for rounding, this matches the table almost exactly with the exception that a Stat of 4 gives a defense of 9 and not 8.

So my question is, which is correct, my least-squares fit or the equation?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases