D&D 5E Puzzling lack of maps in the SCAG

Maps of the Sword Coast and the North are just fine in SWAG. There's even a high res version of it on the WotC web site. I always thought that less was more when it came to maps for RPGs, anyway. Enough for the DM to use for reference but not enough to distract from the story they want to tell.

I don't want hidden locations. But I'm pretty sure most people would know where Amn is, for example, but it's not marked.

Yes it is, right there on the Sword Coast map on page 5.

(I understand your point, but unfortunately you chose a bad example, as would have been Cormyr. Places further afield would have been better choices...)

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Yes it is, right there on the Sword Coast map on page 5.

(I understand your point, but unfortunately you chose a bad example, as would have been Cormyr. Places further afield would have been better choices...)

That's what I get for posting from memory :)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Maps of the entire planet don't make sense. 99.9% of people, even adventurers, don't have a map of the planet. Nor would they think that they need one. A general map of a large region and a specific map of where they are active is what you need to tell stories.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Maps of the entire planet don't make sense. 99.9% of people, even adventurers, don't have a map of the planet. Nor would they think that they need one. A general map of a large region and a specific map of where they are active is what you need to tell stories.

The general map of the large region doesn't show the places that are described in the book. That's really the big disconnect for me.

But I think this has been discussed enough so I'm happy to let the thread sink into obscurity :)

Remove ads