Question about the enlarge spell

nick

First Post
I am trying to get an enlarge spell cast on my barbarian character, and then permanenced, so that I will be able to go up a class category, and wield two longswords with only -2 penalties on each hand. I was wondering if this would work. My character is 6'6 already, and has a 20 str. I have found someone who can cast it, but the DM is undecided whether this spell would accomplish the size category change. Also, would my reach area change as well?

shilsen

Adventurer
Unfortunately for your plan, the enlarge spell does not change size categories. All you would gain would be a +2 enlargement bonus to strength. It's purely a balance issue, and doesn't actually make sense even under the existing rules (since a 6' 6 character would become 9' 9 and, if he weighed 250 lbs before, weigh 850 lbs, putting him firmly in the Large category according to dimensions listed in the MM), but that's the way it goes.

nick

First Post
I was just assuming that once a creature reaches a certain size, that he would take on the characteristics of a larger creature. A 9 foot tall creature weighing around 900 lbs I could not see as being in the same size category as a dwarf, even though the enlarged creature may be ungainly.
Any other way, outside of a wish/miracle to achieve the size class increase I am trying for?

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
nick said:
I was just assuming that once a creature reaches a certain size, that he would take on the characteristics of a larger creature. A 9 foot tall creature weighing around 900 lbs I could not see as being in the same size category as a dwarf, even though the enlarged creature may be ungainly.
Any other way, outside of a wish/miracle to achieve the size class increase I am trying for?

Polymorph other into a troll, hill giant or ogre?

Squire James

First Post
You know, 1d6 is not all that much less damage than 1d8, an average of 1 point of damage less. Two hand axes, or a battle axe and hand axe, will (1) get you the reduction of penalties you need, (2) be more appropriate for most barbarian tribes, and (3) have a x3 crit multiplier so you do awesome damage when you get lucky.

If you INSIST on having a Large PC with 2 Longswords (if I had a Large PC I'd go 2 Greatswords even with the -4 penalty!), I see only one sure way to permanently grow a PC to Large size and make it stick: a Wish. You might also want to look into Polymorph any Object, because minor permanent transformations look pretty easy for that spell. Getting a Large PC shouldn't be easy, because 10' reach is a potent advantage for any warrior.

Convincing the DM that an ogre is acceptable PC race may be easier. Their ECL isn't too bad since size and reach are essentially their only advantages.

reapersaurus

First Post
Squire James said:
Convincing the DM that an ogre is acceptable PC race may be easier. Their ECL isn't too bad since size and reach are essentially their only advantages.
This is quite an hilarious quote considering the LONG discussions on the ECL of ogres in the Rules Forum the past couple weeks. ;)

Mal? LOL

Remove ads