• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rate this Home PC set up!

drothgery

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
So do you think that PSU is adequate with an 8600 card added in?

I don't know; I'm not sure how the 8600 series is as far as power draw goes. But my Dell P4 desktop with a ~250W power supply handled a 6600GT that I added later, and a 1.86 GHz Conroe should draw less power than a 3.2 GHz Northwood by a fair margin.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
drothgery said:
I don't know; I'm not sure how the 8600 series is as far as power draw goes. But my Dell P4 desktop with a ~250W power supply handled a 6600GT that I added later, and a 1.86 GHz Conroe should draw less power than a 3.2 GHz Northwood by a fair margin.

The PNY site says their minimum PSU requirements for it woudl be 350 - so I guess it is within range.

Rackhir

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
The PNY site says their minimum PSU requirements for it woudl be 350 - so I guess it is within range.

Most power supplies are more than adequate. You really don't need the monsters that a lot of companies are selling unless you have a really loaded system, with dual top of the line graphics cards.

GlassJaw

Hero
Kid Charlemagne said:
Got any other suggestions? What would you recommend? I'm not locked into Dell by any means.

I didn't mean to come off as mister negativity but I've known too many people that got burned (some more than once) by Dell. And many times it was me who recommended Dell in the first place.

Never again.

My first recommendation is always build something yourself.

If that's not an option, I would consider Toshiba, Sony, even HP at this point, before Dell.

Bad Paper

First Post
The only time you should buy a premade computer is when it's a Mac. If you really want to waste your time with a windoze box, make it yourself. That way, you don't get stuck with lousy Acrobat Reader 7.0 when you can wrangle the awesome power of Reader 8.0!!@!@

Why get Vista? Hasn't it driven the price of XP down? Get XP. Better yet, grab Debian or something. OSes should be free. Seriously. The most I ever paid for one was $30 for XP Pro via an employee of Microsoft, and even that made me feel dirty.

Dell keyboards suck.

Floppy drive? Modem? What is this, 1994? Drop this crap.

oh boy! AOL!!! yay! That's a keeper!

You said that you're a gamer, anyway. While you're getting a new video card, you may want to check out sound cards. And why waste your time with a 20" monitor? bleah. Postage stamp. I wouldn't go smaller than 23". Mine is 26".

Sorry, man, but you should stay away from this garbage system. Build your own offa Newegg. Same price, better deal.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Building your own box is not an option for everyone. Some people aren't comfortable with it. I've built 2 and built a third with my 13 y/o son. I've got gamer buddies that won't open up their boxes to swap video cards.

To each their own.

I don't like Dell because their customer service sucks eggs, but that is a whole other issue.

Suggesting Debian for someone that is looking for a gaming box isn't very nice, especially if they are not technically inclined. Windows XP is the choice for PC gaming.

Thanee

First Post
Yep. Neither Macs nor Linux-based machines are even a choice for a gaming PC (even for casual gaming). Much less a good one.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads