• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Ravenloft] Barovian architecture?

galaga88

Explorer
I'm warming up for my Expedition to Castle Ravenloft campaign this summer, and I am working on converting all of the tactical maps in the book into Dundjinni maps I can print out. I've come across a peculiar question while doing this.

What would buildings in Barovia likely be made of? Would they have stone or wooden walls? It seems trivial, but if I'm going to the trouble of making these nice high-res color map tiles of the place, I'd like to get the walls right. :)

Klaus

First Post
From the 3e Ravenloft Campaign Setting, page 112:

"Most buildings in Barovia are constructed of brick and dense timber that is plastered and painted deep russet or light dun. Many homes and shops are adorned with rows of mineral flecked stones set into the plaster. The thatched rooftops are steep and set with tiny, leaden rose windows in the gables. In the spring, window boxes overflow with vivid flowers, and harvest time brings pumpkin lanterns, intended to keep the minions of evil at bay."

Also, dressing:
"Skin tones run from pale to olive-tan to light brown. Dark hair and eyes are typical, the former ranging from light chestnut to nearly jet-black, the latter from pale hazel to deep brown. Men grow their hair to medium length, generally to just above the shoulder. Women wear their hair long, with younger women frequently braiding their locks. Most men wear thick, drooping mustaches, though beards are common only among younger men. <snip> Men wear loose white shirts, embroidered sheepskin vests, and dark breeches. Women wear blouses and long skirts and cover their heads with kerchiefs. Barovian women favor black, gray, and dark brown colors and wear the kerchief only when married."

Joël of the FoS

First Post
If you wish to develop Barovia, you might like to read the Ravenloft Gazetteer I. It covers Barovia in great lenght, in alll details. Of course it was made for the RL setting, but many creepy things and details are in, including architecture, people beliefs, etc.

Joël

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads