Recommend some good CRPG's for me

Eternalknight

First Post
I've played and finished NWN, played a little of Morrowind (not very much) - same with Dungeon Siege. What other ones do you guys and gals reccomend?

gariig

First Post
The Fallout 1/2 series has been highly recommended. It's a VERY open ended game, I personally haven't played them. My old roommate did and he said he would run into town, do the quests, then kill everyone and move on. Except, the other towns started to not like him...cool stuff.

gariig

cybernetic

Explorer
I second the Fallout suggestion...I haven't played the first one but I have the second one....also you might wanna check out Icewind Dale II coming out soon....(and Icewind Dale I as well as the Baldur's Gate games..if you haven't already)... one of the greatest CRPG games I've ever played, however, is Torment. A great Planescape game similar to Baldur's Gate. It is a lot of fun and has many unusual things... You can get a Floating Skull to join your party as well as a burning mage that has accidently opened a portal to the plane of fire within himself...very very unique stuff going on! It is my favorite CRPG of all time...

Lazybones

Adventurer
I never really got into Torment, but I add my recommendations for the whole IWD/BG series of games. I enjoyed Fallout, with its unique setting and cool game mechanics. I'd also recommend Deus Ex, an action/rpg hybrid with a really cool story and lots of customization options for your character. Also, System Shock II offered a VERY creepy setting and also a lot of customization choices. Both of the latter are now in the $10 bin, and I've seen Fallout 1/Fallout 2 bundled together for less than that in a jewel-case double-pack.

LightPhoenix

First Post
CRPG as in computer? Not many that other people haven't suggested.

As in console, the one I would recommend is Chrono Trigger, which IMO is one of the best stories in any console RPG. It logically doesn't have the freedom that Morrowind and Fallout do, but then I'm not a huge fan of either game (blasphemy!) so there ya go...

In terms of console gaming, I'll totally second Chrono Trigger as one of the greatest of all time.

Close behind, however are Final Fantasy IV (2 in the US) and Final Fantasy VII.

Both have absolutely stunning, heart wrenching storylines and great character development. Together, those three are probably three of my favorite games of all time.

I'll also toss in a plug for Deux Ex. Not sure if you're willing to ignore the 1st person shooter aspect of the game, but it's also one of the best roleplaying games out there, INCLUDING the BG series, in my opinion. Great stuff.

-F

p.s. one of the common themes of all 4 of those games is replay value... I still get a kick out of playing any of them, despite the fact that I know what's going to come next. that, to me, is the mark of a truly well done game.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Femerus the Gnecro said:
In terms of console gaming, I'll totally second Chrono Trigger as one of the greatest of all time.

Close behind, however are Final Fantasy IV (2 in the US) and Final Fantasy VII.

p.s. one of the common themes of all 4 of those games is replay value...

Without starting a Final Fantasy debate, I would caution that the replay value in FF 4 and 7 is solely due to personal preference. For example, I too can play FF4 through multiple times, but I really cannot stand FF7. I barely managed to finish it the first time. So just as a fair warning, YMMV with FF.

Chrono Trigger is another story altogether (no pun intended).

cybernetic

Explorer
LightPhoenix said:
CRPG as in computer? Not many that other people haven't suggested.

As in console, the one I would recommend is Chrono Trigger, which IMO is one of the best stories in any console RPG.

Definatly Chrono Trigger!! that is simply the greatest console rpg....Chrono Cross didn't quite live up to it though IMO (although a good game...definatly not worthy of being the sequal to Chrono Trigger)

Remove ads