Red Hand of Doom - Total Recap!

Marquis de Sade

First Post
binkus said:
Any updates coming soon? I will be running this campaign soon and your story is good. I figured it would help me out greatly as my group started into it. I hope to see an update soon.

Sorry I took some time. We play once a week and I will update this recap weekly as well.

Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with your RHoD campaign! :)

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Jarett Nurth

Initially Jarett Nurth tried to blame Iormel for the poisoned potions that she had given the PCs, but my players refused to let her go. They wanted to bring her to the Town Council. Faced with this she knew the game was over. But she managed to sneak out the window, pretending to change clothes. Did she lie about Iormel? Well, the players dont know that yet. :cool:

My players did interrogate her quite well, and especially Geth Helder has a pretty high Sense Motive +11. But she still managed to fool him (Bluff) anyway...

Having found her secret cave out in the forest where she practices her evil religion, the players have finally revealed her secret. The only question is, was she alone on this or was someone helping her? :\

In the opening days at Drellins Ferry, Jarett Nurth was a laid back figure. My players were in her shop only once. I had them make Spot checks, and one of them saw the religious symbol of Erythnul around her neck, :uhoh: but he failed his Knowledge Religion check to identify it. Had he succeeded Im sure they would have dealt with her immediately or at least interrogated her.

Anyway, Im sure the players will deal forcefully with Jarett in the next session. We will have a break due to me being away on a trip, but next session will take place sometime towards the end of next week, or early the week after the next. :)

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Farkor the Exiled

A new player and Player Character will join our group that keeps growing...

Farkor the Exiled is a Chaotic Good Dwarven Bard 4th level that has left his community by the Spine of the World to pursue happiness elsewhere.

Farkor the Exiled , here are his stats:

Str 14, +2
Dex 18, +4
Con 18, +4
Int 13, +1
Wis 13, +1
Cha 16, +3

Hitpoints: 35, AC: 19, Initiative: +4, XP:10.000.
Saves: Fort 5, Reflex 8, Will 7.
Attacks: Shortsword +7, 1d6+2. Composite Shortbow +7,
1d6+1.

Best skills: Diplomacy +10, Perform Sing +7, Use Magic Device +7, Knowledge History +6, Move Silently +6, Sense Motive +6, Tumble +6.

I will also post the other PCs stats later so you get a good idea just how tough this group is.

We will play one full-lenght session Friday night, and one next Monday night so things are moving along now. Check out this thread soon again for a lot of updates!!!

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Onwards to Rhest!

Session playing time: 5 hours
Players present: 4
PCs: 5
Days in Elsir Vale: morning day 7 - morning day 9.

Player Characters:

Anor, Elven Ranger/Order of the Bow Initiate 6th/1st.

Eluard, Aasimar Cleric/Church Inquisitor/Radiant Servor of Pelor 5th/1st/1st.

Alth Shrenan (new!), Whisper Gnome Scout 4th.

Farkor the Exiled (new!), Dwarven Bard 4th.

Morbald the Melancholic (new!), Human Wizard 4th.

A new player, Mats, joined the group yesterday. Mats is 38 years and has more than 25 years gaming experience. He rolled up Farkor the Exiled (see post above!) and Morbald the Melancholic. Also Alth Shrenan was rolled up by an existing player. I here present key attributes of Morbald. I will present the other PCs attributes as soon as possible.

Morbald the Melancholic

Human Wizard 4th level, True Neutral, Xp: 10.000.
Str 12, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 12.
Hitpoints: 25, AC: 11, Initiative: +1, Base attack: +2.
Fort 4, Reflex 2, Will 9.
Light Crossbow -1, 1d8, 19-20 x2.
Quarterstaff +3, id6+1, x2.
Best skills: Spellcraft +13, Knowledge Arcana +11, Knowledge Geography +11, Knowledge the Planes +11, Concentration +10, Decipher Script +9.
Spells mostly used: Grease, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep, Web.
Items of special interest: Wand of Magic Missiles (CL 5th, 15 charges), Bracers of Armor +3.
Tactics: Starts with raising his defenses with Mage Armor and Shield. Then uses incapacitating area spells as Grease, Sleep or Web. Then he starts taking out enemies who were not incapacitated by area spells.

Red Hand of Doom- Total Recap:

Last session we left the heroes close to the secret cave of the evil cultist Jarett Nurth. A trading woman that in secret devoted Erythnul - God of Slaughter. As the PCs were waiting above her cave situated in a small canyon, they suddenly heard her chanting. The PCs could identify several spells being cast: Aid, Protection from Good, etc. "We must not wait any longer, before she gets too powerful" said one of the players. So again they threw down their ropes and entered the canyon. This time further off from the caves mouth. Alth Shrenan covered them from above with his bow. The others approached the caves mouth, led by Eluard the cleric who shone up the entire canyon with his Daylight spell.

As they stood by the caves mouth and looked inside their minds were suffering from what they saw. The entire cave´s walls and ceiling were covered by writings and proclamations written in...blood! Manifestations and sacrifications to Erythnul - God of Slaughter. They could also see human remains and organs that had been hung up in wires from the ceiling. What evil being was Jarett Nurth? :eek:

As they watched the cave from the mouth, the crazed woman finally charged them. Rolling a "25" for initiative she beat them all, but her swing with her powerful "Morningstar of Elvenbane" (I added this weapon to her equipment) missed. Morbald countered with "Confusion" and Jarett missed her save. Then Morbald continued with Grease and as Jarett missed her save again she fell to the floor. And when she then confused tried to get up next round she fell again. Morbald then used "Message" to have a voice whisper in her ear "You *****, you have failed me! I leave you know for ever and you shall die like a dog in the gutter". Jarett Nurth started screaming, crying and twisting violently out of deepest despair. Morbald's words must have stricken a soft cord inside her twisted mind. In the meantime the excellent marksman Anor was shooting his arrows, and in the third round both his shots hit her in the neck, penetrating her skull and killing her instantly. "This one was never to get away alive" were the mighty elf´s only words. "A great evil has been eradicated" agreed Eluard. :cool:

The players were disappointed to not find any proof of Jarett Nurth being the RHoD spy. Her cave had only sick and evil devotions to Erythnul. They could find human remains from up to 10 people, and the players were convinced that the strange disappearings and murders in Drellins Ferry had now come to an end. With a Knowledge Religion check Eluard could verify that these kultist of Erythnul often work alone and in secret.

As the players returned to Drellins Ferry they informed the Town Council, and at dawn the following day Jarett Nurth's remains were sunk in the river.

Being exhausted by a long night without sleep the PCs slept late in the morning. They had a great brunch, only spoiled by Kellin Shadowbanks endless talking. But no one had the heart to shut the little halfling up. The last week had been strenous and that was starting to show among the citizens of the little town. A town being evacuated for war!

The players again overlooked all the documents, maps, and info/intel they had gathered the last tenday. "We must immediately take out the roadblocks so that reinforcements and supplies from the north can arrive" said one player. "We must also find Wyrmlord Saarvith in the ruined city of Rhest, take him out and find out what his secret mission is". Another player wanted to travel to Brindol to resupply and try to find out more about the situation. "There´s not enough time for that" replied a third. So they decided to ride east and then north. Trying to take out the roadblock on the Rhest Trail, and then heading for the ruined city of Rhest in hunt of Wyrmlord Saarvith.

They discussed wether they should travel by boat or ride, but as they started counting miles and speed, horse was obvious the fastest means of travel. Going through the forest was never a viable option even though someone mentioned this possibility.

So they set out for their journey and as they rode they only met a few farmers or refugees heading east. No merchants, no caravans. It was obvious that the routes had been cut off. The first evening they arrived at the small town of Terrelton, a dusty, dry place with foul smells from the tanneries outside in the hills. As they decided to stay over night they befriended Leille, a human female cleric in the service of St.Cuthbert. She told them that Terrelton was a town they shouldn't pay too much attention to as some "rotten eggs are in this basket". The PCs used Gather Information at the inns to find out that the local Merchants Council had shady dealings going on with brigands and highwaymen in the area. For some time the players discussed the possibility to run them out of town or at least breaking into their building, but they cancelled their plans as time was too scarce. Leille offered the players to sleep for free in her chapel. "But please leave a few silver pennies for the poor if you may". The PCs left 150 silver coins :D in Leille's chapel and she promised them to help evacuating the little dusty town and to try and take care of the corrupt merchants as well.

On the second day of their journey they arrived in Nimon Gap, a tiny hamlet surrounded by fields with apple, pear and chestnut orchards. They also noticed herds of sheep and goats up on the hills. It sure was a small place but it held a huge inn called "The Cross-Eyed Beholder". "A pretty famous place here abouts" acknowledged the PC bard Farkor. But the inn was almost completely empty despite lunchtime. "Everyone is gone because of rumors of war" said the sad barkeep. The players left them some money to help them out and in return they got apple-pie and sheep-stew for ten people. :lol:

On the third day of travel the players arrived at Talar in the early evening. This is a small town and the players were hoping to find supplies here. They stayed in town and next morning they went out to look for supplies. Unfortunatley the shops were pretty empty. But as the players walked around in town a rider on horse approached fast. "We ready ourselves for combat" said the players. "No hold on one moment!" said Anor. "I reckognize the blue and white tunic, and the golden emblem of a lion. She comes from Brindol. She is a Lion of Brindol. Lower your weapons ." said the Elf forcefully. The rider was a woman. She had black hair and slender features. She was covered with dry dust from her long ride. She breathed heavily and could hardly talk. "Water....please I need some water...." As the players handed her some fresh water the woman continued: "I ride in the service of the Lord of Brindol. I must warn all that the Old Rhest Trail is blocked by the enemy. Our main supply route is now cut off by the enemy." The woman had despair in her eys. She could hardly believe what these brave adventurers now told her in reply: Vraath Keep - Wyrmlord Koth - Skull Gorge Bridge -Ozyrrandion - Huge army marching on the valley - more Wyrmlords and powerful monsters. But being a Lion of Brindol she regained control of herself quickly. Her people needed her now more than ever. "I must immediately return to Brindol to inform Lord Jaarmath." She thanked the PCs deeply and wrote down all the info she got. "Please try and come to Brindol later if you can brave adventurers. We may need your help. Just ask after Teyani Sura, Lions of Brindol. They know who I am. Farewell and good luck! May Pelor's fortune shine on you." And off she rode.

As the PCs discussed recent events, people walking by started looking and pointing up in the sky. Then a scream. :eek: Many screams. People running for cover, bolting doors and windows. Up in the sky was a large beast flying with 3 heads. One of a goat, one of a lion, and one of a dragon. "A Chimera!" shouted Farkor the Bard with a grim look upon his face. "Ready your weapons men, these beasts do not go away easily."

Inititaive count for encounter with Chimera:

Anor 21
Farkor 18
Alth 15
Eluard 4
Morbald 2

Chimera initiative count unknown, but after Anor!

As the session closed the players were about half-way to the ruined city of Rhest where Wyrmlord Saarvith was probably to be encountered. They had befriended Leille the Cleric in Terrelton, and Teyani Sura, a Lion of Brindol. But a Chimera had attacked them now and Farkor knew these beasts were tough. Many comrades had already fallen. May Pelor please see to it that no more deaths would strike this courageous little group. :cool:

To be continued.....

Remove ads