Refuge spell question.

Joker

First Post
About this spell, it says that you have to willingly give somebody a twig to break or whatever the component is that you use. Well, this may sound like a stupid question but can you “give” yourself the twig as well and break it to go your abode? I’d imagine you can, but I’m just checking. And making conversation, of course :D.

Anyway,

Tata.

Crothian

First Post
I think this spell is for others only. I've never read anything else about the spell, official ruling s and what not. But the spirit of the spell seems to indicate others only. There are better spells to transport yourself.

dcollins

Explorer
It's possible that it should be interpreted as transporting them to "wherever it is that you're staying at the time" -- so as to be symmetric with the reversed version of the spell -- and hence not of any use in transporting yourself to yourself. General suggestion would be to use word of recall, 1 level less, no need to waste a 1,500 gp component in the process.

Last edited:

Demogorge

First Post
Is there a precedent for Range: Touch spells NOT working on the caster? I don't see why you couldn't make a Refuge twig for yourself (but I don't know why you would set 1500 GP worth of gems in a twig :p). There would be no real reason to chain yourself onto the refuge ride if they're going to come to you no matter where you are.

As for Word of Recall, if you can free up a 6th level slot by carrying a twig around, and have 1500 GP to throw away, I don't know why you wouldn't. You could call it a divine gift if you wanted (one you plan on breaking :D).

Last edited:

Joker

First Post
Right, so just for clarification: This spell has two ways of working.

1.) You give someone a 1500gp twig and you atune the spell to have the twigbreaker come to you.

2.) You give someone (maybe yourself) the 1500gp twig and attune the spell to transport the twigbreaker to your abode, whereever that may be.

Wait a sec. Abode does mean like sanctuary or something like that right. Let me check my dictionary.

I'll see you later.

Tata.

dcollins

Explorer
Demogorge said:
Is there a precedent for Range: Touch spells NOT working on the caster?

The question isn't whether or not you can trigger it -- the question is, where does it take you when you do trigger it?

Demogorge

First Post
Joker said:
Right, so just for clarification: This spell has two ways of working.

1.) You give someone a 1500gp twig and you atune the spell to have the twigbreaker come to you.

2.) You give someone (maybe yourself) the 1500gp twig and attune the spell to transport the twigbreaker to your abode, whereever that may be.

Wait a sec. Abode does mean like sanctuary or something like that right. Let me check my dictionary.

I'll see you later.

Tata.

Hmm. I think I'm reading it differently. The way I read it the two ways are:

1) You give someone the twig, and when they break it, you go to wherever they are. No abode is involved. You go to the twigbreaker, not the other way around.

2) Same as what you have. Whoever possesses the twig goes to your swinging bachelor pad. I would assume it works like Word of Recall where you designate the sanctuary when you prepare the spell.

Remove ads