D&D 5E REPOSITORY: Homebrew & Original Content (Kalani)

Clockwerk66

First Post
Originally posted by Kalani:

The purpose of this thread is to act as a single repository of original homebrew content, such as classes, subclasses, races, feats, spells, and original (custom) rules. It is my intention for this thread to act as a resource that DMs and players alike can use in their own games, or as inspiration for their own ideas or variations.

If you wish to submit homebrew content to this list, please respond with a link to the page or post the content below and I will link to the post in this thread, and I will update this thread accordingly. You may submit links to any homebrew content, even if you are not the original author. I will credit the author of such work in each respective link. All links are listed alphabetically under their respective headings. My only request, is that I ask you not to submit unfinished work.

The following is a useful article which creators can use to help categorize their homebrew houserules.

Homebrew Guidelines v1.0(x)

Index of Original Races

Index of Original Subraces

Dwarf

Elf

Half Elf

Halfling

Human

Index of Original Classes

Index of Original Subclasses

Barbarian

Bard

Druid

Fighter

Monk

• Drunken Master (supreme_slayer)(x)
  • Kensei/Sohei (Kalani)(x)
  • Way of Iron & Desert Wind (Redblue200)
  • Way of Determination (Yunru)(x)
  • Way of the Orb Weaver (CaptainPicard)(x)
  • Way of the Soul knife (cowleymen)(x)

Paladin

Ranger

Rogue

• Ninja (Yag007)(x)
  • Shadowblade & Thug (Redblue200)
  • Swashbuckler (JonJones)(x)
  • Swashbuckler (whatisaman)(x)
  • Trapmaster (mellored)(x)
  • Unseen Seer (AetherShift)(x)

Sorcerer

Warlock

Wizard

• School of Scribing (Yunru)(x)

Index of Original Fighting Styles

• Guardian (Lawolf)(x)
  • Swashbuckler/Finesse (Kalani)(x)
  • Unarmored (Kalani)(x)

Index of Original Backgrounds

Index of Original Spells

Abjuration

Divination

• Cantrip: Know Direction (The Malum)
  • 1st: Future Sight (Barbarische)(x)
  • 2nd: Glyph of Revealing (paulstrait)(x)
  • 4th: Brain Storm (Barbarische)(x)
  • 4th: Premonition (Barbarische)(x)
  • 5th: Thought Leak (Barbarische)(x)
  • 6th: Aura Sight (Barbarische)(x)
  • 7th: Accumulated Knowledge (barbarische)(x)
  • 8th: Ancestral Recall (Barbarische)(x)

Enchantment

• 1st: Mindlink (AlHazred)(x)
  • 1st: Peace Bond (Dark_Stryke)(x)

Evocation

Necromancy

• 3rd: Ghoul Touch (paulstrait)(x)

Transmutation

Invocations

• 22 New Invocations (pupoochi)(x)

Index of Original Feats

• Elemental Substitution (Setzer_G)(x)

• Legendary Strength (Lawolf)(x)

• Shadow Weave Adept (Ravna13)(x)

Index of Original Equipment

Armor

• Masterwork Armor (Xaielao2)(x)

Weapons

• Firearms (MechaPilot)(x)
  • Masterwork Weapons (Xaielao2)(x)
  • Nunchaku(x)

Adventuring Gear

Index of Original Magic Items

Rings

• Ring of Myrkul (paulstrait)(x)

Index of Original Familiars

• Formless Servitor (Direach)(x)

Index of Original Monsters

• Swarm of Stirges (Timmee)(x)

Index of Original Rules
Combat

• Armor as Damage Reduction (Thank_Dog)(x)
  • Fencing Defenses (MechaPilot)(x)
  • Initiative: Fumble & Fizzle (Nevvur)(x)
  • Universal Maneuvers (MechaPilot)(x)
  • Weapon Speeds (MechaPilot)(x)

Conversions

Healing

• Healing Surges (MechaPilot)(x)
  • Unhealthy Characters (MechaPilot)(x)

Spellcasting

• Ritual Magic (MechaPilot)(x)
  • Simple Magic Points (Dreamstryder)(x)

Miscellaneous

Originally posted by Yunru:

I dislike the lack of an original items post (no need for thread links when it could all just be posted in one post).
I mean, how else are Nun-Chucks [Martial, 1d6 Bludgeoning, Finesse, Light, 15gp (Monk's get proficiency)] going to get recognised!? :p

Originally posted by Setzer_G:

[UNKNOWN=pre]: Kalani, can we post them here and you can link them to the list above?

Elemental Substitution
Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell.

You may take this Feat multiple times. Each time you take it, you choose a damage type. When preparing a spell or learning it for the first time, you may choose to change one of the damage types in the spell to the damage type you chose when you chose Elemental Substitution.

Originally posted by Akeisha:

Here are three monster PC races by Hebitsuikaza that I saw about a month or so ago specifically geared for 5th Edition.
smile.gif

Goblins (http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4109286)

Hobgoblins (http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4111421)

Orcs (http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4107696)

Originally posted by Timmee:

If there's a spot for original monsters, I posted this a while ago for feedback, but never got any:

Swarm of Stirges

http://community.wizards.com/forum/dungeon-master-help/threads/4128841

I didn't think about original monsters. I have shifted the categories around in the various posts, grouping them into related headings. I have also added a few new subheadings and category headings to the list that I forgot to consider when I created the original post.

Originally posted by chris_c_76:

new races
ratfolk http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/dd-5e-ratfolk/
kobold http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/dd-5e-kobolds/
goblin http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/dd-5e-goblins/
catfolk http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/dd-5e-catfolk/
aasimar http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/aasimars-and-sub-races/

new subraces for tiefling : http://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/08/20/tiefling-sub-races-for-5e/

Originally posted by Yunru:

Nun-Chucks [Martial, 1d6 Bludgeoning, Finesse, Light, 15gp, 1lb. (Monk's get proficiency)]

Because really, they rolled it into the club? And only for monks? When there's the Scimitar that's exactly the same but slashing, and the Shortsword that's exactly the same but piercing?

I am not sure about how wizards would feel about links to offsite content in this respect. If you would be able to cross-post these races to the forum, I would gladly link to them.
Regarding Nunchaku: It is not monk-exclusive. Any character can reskin anything providing they keep the mechanics the same. The reason they were listed in the monk section is because it was specifically addressing oriental weapons, and therefore that is the best place to discuss said. With that being said, I do not consider your nunchaku all that original. It uses exactly the same mechanics I would use myself, and as I expect 99% of other players to use. In fact, it is almost a direct port from the 3.5 PHB, adapted to 5E mechanics. As such, I cannot credit you as the creator of this weapon.

Originally posted by Yag007:

Here are two archetypes I've been working on:

Fighter - Swashbuckler

3rd level
Finesse dueling - When wielding a light finesse weapon in one hand and no weapon in the other, in addition to the +2 to damage rolls you also get +1 to AC and gain 10ft movement speed.
Cutting Wit- As a bonus action you may use the Vicious Mockery cantrip. You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier each short rest.

7th level
Flourishes - You get flourish dice much like superiority dice. you gain 4 d6 flourish dice, you gain another at 10 and another at 15th level. You may replenish 1 dice each short rest, or all of them each long rest.
Dirty Fighting - You may choose upon an attack to expend a die and attempt to blind or prone them vs. DEX.
Bloody Strikes - You may expend a die to do that dies roll in ongoing bleeding dmg vs. CON ( DC = 8+Dex modifier+Proficiency)
Cross Counter - As a reaction, you may expend a die to reduce the damage of an attack by 50% and make an attack against the target with advantage

10th level
Charisma of the seas - You gain expertise in the Acrobatics and Persuasion skills, and gain resistance to charming effects.

15th level
Daredevil - You gain the Uncanny dodge ability and can climb, swim, and crawl at full speed

18th level
Pinpoint attacks - For each successive attack against a single target you gain +1 to your dmg roll up to a value of +6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rogue - Ninja

3rd level
Ki power - you may draw upon the power of Ki to make specialized attacks and cast spells. Your Ki replenishes after a long rest
Darting strike - You may spend 1 Ki point to prevent opportunity attacks from the target of your next attack until the end of turn.
Step of wind - You man spend 1 Ki point to take a disengage or dash action as a bonus action on your turn. Your jump speed is double for that turn
Ki speed - You may spend a ki point to increase your speed by 15ft for 1 minute.

Ninjutsu: As a Ninja you may use Ki points to create the following spell like effects

3rd lvl
Fog Cloud - 1
Minor Illusion - 1
Darkness - 2

6th lvl
Mirror Image - 3
Blink - 3

9th level
Shadow Presence - when you are in dim or darker light you may teleport up to 60 feet from one shadow to another area of dim or dark light. and while in dim or dark light melee attacks roll at disadvantage against you.

13th level
Blindsense - You can fight in darkness; real, or magical, as if you were in bright daylight, and do not roll at disadvantage.
Ghostly Presence - Your attacks can hit incorporeal or immaterial targets and you are resistant to scrying, scrying attempts against you must roll at disadvantage.

17th level
Poisons Master - You may add your INT modifier to the dmg of poison and half that to save DC. You may use 4 Ki points to increase poison potency by 50%.

Ki pool
lvl
Ki
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background:
Shinobi
You have been raised deep in seclusion amongst your secretive clan. Since childhood rigorous training in stealth, agility, hand to hand combat, and traditional techniques of illusion and deception have rendered you all but a shadow to the rest of the world. Though you have moral flexibility as to right and wrong, you follow your own self set code with absolute diligence believing in only yourself and very few others.

Skill proficiencies: Stealth, and Acrobatics

Tool proficiencies: disguise kit or poisoners kit
Equipment: a length of rope with a grapple hook, A set of dark common clothes including a hood, and a pouch with 2 smoke bombs

Shinobi specialty:

The secretive Clans of these ancient assassins are few but varied among the lands of faerun. As such each clan shows expertise in maneuvering quickly and unnoticed in their local domain. choose your preferred terrain type of choice or roll on the Table below. You can move in this terrain at full speed regardless of difficulty:
Arctic
Coast
Desert
forest
Grassland
Mountain
Swamp
Underdark
Suggested Characteristics:

Shinobi follow a varying moral compass. Some value power and knowledge at all costs, while others stick strictly to their code and the codes of their clan. Honor and treachery, light and dark, one will find all qualities in this spectrum throughout the ancient shinobi clans of faerun.

Personality traits:

1. I always have a contingency plan for when things go wrong, and know the escape from any situation.
2. I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never let my emotions control me.
3. I am incredibly slow to trust, outsiders values and honor cannot be counted upon.
4. I despise those who don’t have the strength to follow their convictions, the frivolous disgust me.
5. I prefer to be alone and only rely on my own strength. I travel with others not by choice.
6. I idolize a hero of my clan, and style my life an honor after his example.
7. I collect information on new people and places compulsively, knowledge is power in my business.
8. I’ve been isolated among the clan for so long I rarely speak to outsiders, preferring gestures and the occasional word.

Ideals:

1. Honor
2. Logic
3. Power
4. Self-perfection
5. Tradition
6. Balance
7. Loyalty
8. Knowledge

Bond:

1. Something important was taken from my clan, I will stop at nothing to return it.
2. I would do anything for the members of my clan and those I trust.
3. My loved one was murdered and I am to avenge them.
4. I Protect those who cannot protect themselves when possible.
5. I have a strong connection to the land I was raised in. I will protect it with lethal resolve.
6. I have a dark secret that I must protect at all costs from my companions and my clan.

Flaw:

1. I am hunted tirelessly by assassins from a rival clan.

2. My mission is everything. Beyond that morals, friendships, and politics mean nothing.
3. I judge others harshly, and myself even more so.
4. Once I set a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of other aspects of my life.
5. I am unable to communicate well with others, and cannot express my feelings well.
4. I am never satisfied with myself and the world around me. I always hunger for more, be it knowledge, perfection, or power.

Originally posted by Daganev:

I haven't decided if this should be called an alchemist or pharmacist class but here:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4135056

Originally posted by chris_c_76:

Geniekin, ifrtis, sylphs etc for 5E

https://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/dd-5e-geniekin/

chris_c_76 wrote: Geniekin, ifrtis, sylphs etc for 5E

https://that70sgame.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/dd-5e-geniekin/As I said above, I am not certain what the official stance is on linking content from other websites. If you could cross post it to the wizards forum, I would be happy to link to it here.

Originally posted by SonidZero:

I have a document with all of my homebrew rules that I've named Azure, after my campaign setting. It's formatted to match the published books, and even has some illustrations one of my players did for a game I ran.

[Here's the document.] Contains Civilians/Civilian Classes (like NPC classes from Pathfinder), Drinking, Nonlethal Damage, the Tengu race, some additional equipment (including firearms) and four spells (two of which were written for someone playing actually Nikola Tesla, that somewhat revolve around invention). One of the spells is a "Variant Spell" of Fog Cloud, that can be cast instead of Fog Cloud but with a costly material component.

It contains a small amount of content that's unfinished, but clearly marked as such.

Originally posted by AlHazred:

Goober4473 posted a thread about kobolds as a PC race:
http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4133711(x)
Judd_of_kryos posted a thread with his githyanki PC race (which I made suggestions for):
http://community.wizards.com/forum/product-and-general-dd-discussions/threads/4136096(x)

Changed my mind regarding external links.

Added all links to date, with the exception of Goobers Kobold as I was unable to determine if the race was completed or not... The race also lacked associated fluff, and rules formatting and seemed to be a WIP.

Originally posted by quexul:

Hey everybody,

Here is a quick homebrew that covers Treants, dryads, Groots, Wildens, etc...

What do you guys think? I'm up for suggested changes.

Tree-folk
Tree-folk are sentient trees with a vaguely humanoid form. These peaceful and stoic guardians of the forest can be brought anger when Nature is threatened. Tree-folk mainly keep to themselves but some find themselves drawn to a life of adventure.
Tree-folk have a special mode of communication, The Murmur. It is an extremely slow language that is sung and not spoken consisting of creaks, manipulated wind through the leaves, and low almost inaudible hums.
The life cycle of a tree-folk has distinct stages. The first five years after being planted a tree-folk spends its life much like a regular tree, rooted to the ground. It draws energy from the sun, and nutrients and water from the earth. When it achieves sentience — not all do — they pull themselves from the ground and spend the next five years in the care of mature tree-folk. The next hundred years is the time when they spend seeing the world and adventuring, if they choose to do so. Between the ages of 110 and 150 years, tree-folk decide on a location to again take root and give up their mobile life. They are again almost indistinguishable from normal trees and spend the rest of their lives — 200 to 800 years, depending on their floral breed — singing within The Murmur in concert with the forest, heard only by druids and other tree folk.
(more fluff to come)

Tree-folk Names
Tree-folk have have complex names that take hours to sing in The Murmur (tree-folk language). To facilitate communication with other races they take on simple names that evoke their personality.

Names: Ashroar, Alderburn, Firtooth, Elmlock, Graybirch, Treespine, Hazeleye
(names generated by Fantasy Name Generator [url]http://fantasynamegenerators.com/ent_names.php#.VAyo9EvgLSw[/URL])

Tree-folk Traits
Your Tree-folk character has a variety of natural abilities.
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Depending on their floral breed, Tree-folk can live anywhere from 300 to over 1000 years.
Alignment. Tree-folk tend towards Neutral Good.
Size. When in the humanoid stage of their lives, tree-folk can range anywhere from 5 ft. to 8 ft. depending on their floral breed.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Natural Armor. A tree-folk’s skin is made of tough bark, it gives you a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
Fire Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on saving throws vs. fire.
Dormancy. If a tree-folk is in its favored terrain (see Floral Breed) it can Take Root (see Take Root) and then only needs to spend 4 hours for a long rest.
Take Root. As a full movement, tree-folk can Take Root which gives you advantage against being pushed, shoved or knocked prone. To end taking root is a full movement.
Proficiencies. You have proficiency in Nature(wisdom) and with a Herbalism Kit.
Languages. You can read, write and speak common, elf and can sing The Murmur.
Floral Breed. Like a subrace, tree-folk have special traits based on their tree type.
Deciduous (loses their leaves). Your proficiency bonus is doubled when making Stealth, Nature or Survival checks in forest or mountain terrain.
Coniferous (evergreen). Your proficiency bonus is doubled when making Stealth, Nature or Survival checks in forest or arctic terrain.
Succulent (cactus). Your proficiency bonus is doubled when making Stealth, Nature or Survival checks in desert or costal terrain.
(These are general, many specific breeds can be homebrewed based on campaign needs.)

Added quexuls treefolk.

Can I ask you people who are following this thread to scour the forum for other homebrew content if at all possible? Failing that, if you spot something in your forum travels - can you shoot me a link here so that I can update this thread accordingly?

Its difficult to catch all the homebrew content that floats across the forum - especially if the threads title does not catch my attention, and I fail to look at it as a result.

I've put a little bit of work into a vampire class. Admittedly, I hated the idea when I first saw it in Heroes of Shadow, but the benefits have grown on me.
As you can see, it still needs work.
Vampire
Vampires are creatures of the night that feast on the blood of the living. As mortal-seeming undead, they exist in a shadowy netherworld between the dictates of regular society and monstrous desires of the flesh. While most vampires are chaotic—the raw power they receive from the transformation unleashes their wildest urges—they vary among good, neutral, and evil alignments. Chaotic evil vampires are monsters that prey upon the living. The powerful Count Strahd von Zarovich of Ravenloft© is the most notable example of an evil vampire tradition in D&D. Chaotic neutral vampires try to balance their need for blood with caution against being discovered by the authorities. Chaotic good vampires use the powers of their undead form to battle the regular vampires that victimize common folk.
Those bitten by a true vampire’s bite do not become these powerful undead overnight. Instead, they become vampire spawn, their lives increasingly consumed by the pursuit of blood as the vampiric infection is allowed to run its course.
Creating a Vampire
You can make a vampire quickly by following these suggestions.
Background: Noble
Equipment: Rapier, light crossbow, quiver with 20 bolts, adventurer’s kit, and 70 gp
The Vampire
Level
Proficiency Bonus
Blood Drain
Features
+2
1d6
Bite, Blood Drain, Poison Resistance, Sunlight Vulnerability, Undead
+2
1d6
Necrotic Resistance
+2
1d6
Darkvision, Regeneration
+2
1d6
Ability Score Improvement
+3
1d6
Extra Attack, Sunlight Vulnerability
+3
2d6
+3
2d6
Poison Immunity
+3
2d6
+4
2d6
Necrotic Immunity, Sunlight Vulnerability
+4
2d6
Vampiric House
+4
3d6
Extra Attack
+4
3d6
+5
3d6
Sunlight Vulnerability
+5
3d6
+5
3d6
Vampiric House Feature
+5
4d6
+6
4d6
Sunlight Vulnerability
+6
4d6
+6
4d6
Vampiric House Feature
+6
4d6
Lord of Undeath
Class Features
As a vampire, you gain the following class features.
Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per vampire level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per vampire level after 1st
Proficiencies
Armor: None
Weapons: Club, dagger, light crossbow, longspear, quarterstaff, short sword, sling, spear, and unarmed strike
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Wisdom
Skills: Choose one from Acrobatics, Athletics, or Stealth
Bite
As a result of vampiric transformation, your bite is considered to be a light weapon that deals 1d6 piercing damage on a hit.
Your vampiric bite counts as being magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunities.
Blood Drain
When you hit a living target with your bite, you can choose to drain some of the victim’s blood. Living targets without blood are immune to this power.
If you drink blood, the victim takes 1d6 necrotic damage and its hit point maximum is reduced by the same amount as the damage dealt. You regain one spent hit die, up to your maximum.
The reduction to the victim’s hit point maximum lasts for 24 hours. A creature whose hit point maximum is reduced to 0 by this attack dies.
The necrotic damage increases as you gain levels, as noted in the Blood Drain column in the Vampire table.
Poison Resistance
You are resistant to poison damage, and have advantage on saving throws against poison effects.
At 7th level, you become immune to poison damage and effects.
Sunlight Vulnerability
You take 5 (1d10) radiant damage each time you start your turn in direct sunlight.
At 5th level, the vulnerability increases to 10 (2d10) radiant damage.
At 9th level, the vulnerability increases to 15 (3d10) radiant damage.
At 13th level, the vulnerability increases to 20 (4d10) radiant damage.
At 17th level, the vulnerability increases to 25 (5d10) radiant damage.
Undead
You are treated an undead creature for all purposes, such as a cleric’s turn undead ability, the chill touch cantrip, or the cure wounds spell. You are immune to dehydration and suffocation effects.
Necrotic Resistance
At 2nd level, you become resistant to necrotic damage.
Darkvision
At 3rd level, you can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Regeneration
At 3rd level, as a bonus action on your turn, you can spend one of your hit dice and regain that many hit points. You cannot do this if you are in sunlight or running water. If you take radiant damage, this trait doesn’t function on your next turn. Spending the die this way, during a combat round, does not allow you to add your Constitution modifier to the hit points regained. This trait ceases to function when you are at 0 hit points.
When you reach certain levels noted in the Vampire table, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. You cannot increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Alternatively, when you reach one of the noted levels, you can forgo improving any of your ability scores to take a feat.
Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack one extra time whenever you take the attack action on your turn. If you haven’t used your whole move for the turn, you can move between your attacks.
When you reach 11th level, this feature gives you two extra attacks, instead of one.
Necrotic Immunity
By 9th level, you are immune to necrotic damage.
Vampiric House
When you reach 10th level, you develop specialized abilities depending on the house to which your vampiric sire belonged. Two Houses are detailed here: the House of the Tyrant or the House of the Nightspawn. Your house grants you features at certain vampire levels, as shown in the Vampire table. Each house is detailed at the end of the class description.
Lord of Undeath
...?

Originally posted by quexul:

This looks like a good write up for a Githzerai:

http://daedaluswing.wikidot.com/githzerai

Originally posted by Setzer_G:

I'm working on a full Eberron conversion little bit by little bit. The files are formated to blend nicely with the PHB, but might not show up that way based on what version of Word you have and how you are viewing the file. To get the original formatting right, download the file and review it in Office 2007.

Changeling, Kalashtar, Shifter, and Artificer are there now, with more coming soon.

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1&authuser=0#folders/0B0V76Xs3HLvEUTl5cTZEN3dveUk

I have left out fluff and pertinents on description, under the assumption that peopel are already familiar with these races, but obviously in a public forum that's not always the case. Sorry for the inconvenience.

soon: Bone Knight (Vow of Eternal Service Paladin Path), Knight Phantom (Alternate Abilities for Eldritch Knight), and some Talenta and Xen'Drik weapons.

Somebody did the races of Guild Wars 2 as playable races(x).

Yunru made a Sniper class(x).
Pupoochi made some Warlock Invocations(x).
JonJones made a Swashbuckler Rogue archetype(x).

I've been working up Eberron stuff for 5E myself. I started during the playtest, but enough changes were made that I have to go over all of it to patch it up.
Edit (2014/09/24): I have moved these to my gaming blog (http://madgamingmadness.blogspot.com) for further editing and development. Any further updates will be made there. I turned each race name header into a link to the specific post discussing that race.
Changelings
The main deal with changelings is their Shapechange power. In 3E, they could assume Medium forms only. Why do halflings and gnomes get a break from one of the setting's core elements, namely rampant, justifiable Paranoia? In Eberron, you should never be quite sure that you know who you're talking to, no matter if they're a human, bugbear, or gnome. Also, in 3E you could assume Small forms as well with a feat, and the new edition has a completely different feat economy. Anyway, I used the wording from the Doppelganger in the DM Basic Rules document v.0.1.
I also totally stole Setzer_G's Natural Linguist ability. It added just the necessary minor ability to bring my version of the changeling up to what I consider the "proper" power level. Thanks a lot, man!
Changeling Traits
As a changeling, you have the following racial traits.
Ability Score Adjustment. Your Charisma score increases by 2 and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Like humans, changelings reach adulthood in their late teens and live less than a century.
Alignment. Changelings of all alignments exist, but most gravitate toward the neutral alignment. They focus on their own concerns without any meaningful regard for laws or morals. Many have their own code of honor but are also fiercely independent. Some refuse to engage in assassination, while others embrace that path as the most perfect form of the changeling art of deception.
Size. Changelings in their native form fall within the boundaries of Medium size, usually standing between 5 and 6 feet tall.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Shapechanger. You can use an action to polymorph into a Small or Medium humanoid you have seen, or back into your true form. Your statistics, other than your size, are the same in each form. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. You revert to your true form if you die. Any creature that attempts to see through your ruse may make a Wisdom (Insight) check opposed by your Charisma (Deception) check.
Natural Linguist. Learning a new language takes half the amount of downtime that it normally takes.
Skill Proficiency. You have training in the Deception and Insight skills.
Slippery Mind. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice. Common allows you to move easily among humans and members of all other races. Many changelings learn as many other languages as they can to facilitate a multitude of disguises.
Shifters
With shifters, the problem is the new edition's focus on simplicity. Shifting changed your characteristics, and if you wanted your shifting to become really good, you had to take a tree of shifter feats. There were builds focusing entirely on maximizing your shifter advantages. The new edition doesn't really do temporary ability score changes in the same way -- the barbarian's rage, for example, gives a boost to damage and hit points, but doesn't require recalculating your character's abilities. Similarly, the gauntlets of ogre power/amulet of health/headband of intellect change the impacted ability score to a flat 19 -- a +5 bonus that's easy to plug in, and lasts indefinitely as long as you leave the item on. So I decided that 5E shifters should get their +1 stat bump from their trait, and tried to make the traits (which I had to rename "legacies" because "trait" in 5E is a very specific thing) almost as powerful as a feat, so that I could make an "Extra Shifter Legacy" feat.
Shifter Traits
As a shifter, you have the following racial traits.
Ability Score Adjustment. Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
Age. Shifters mature a little more slowly than humans, generally reaching adulthood at 20 years of age and living to an average age of 80.
Alignment. Shifters are usually neutral, viewing the struggle to survive as more important than moral or ethical concerns about how survival is maintained.
Size. Shifters have similar heights and builds to elves. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. Animalistic and adapted to outdoor life, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Natural Athlete. You have training in the Athletics skill.
Shifter Legacy. Choose a shifter legacy from the list given below. This legacy increases one of your ability scores, and gives you a benefit while shifting.
Shifting. You can tap into your lycanthropic heritage to gain short bursts of physical power. On your turn, you can shift as a bonus action.
While shifting, you gain an ongoing benefit based on your shifter legacy.
Your shift lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious. You can also end your shift on your turn as a bonus action.
Once you have shifted the number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, you must finish a long rest before you can shift again.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice. Shifters speak Common with a rural dialect wildly different from that spoken by urban folk. Many shifters learn the languages of those they encounter in the wild: Sylvan, Orc, Elvish, and the like.
Shifter Legacies
Each shifter has one of the following special legacies, which is selected when a character is created and cannot be changed thereafter.
Beasthide. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
While shifting and not wearing heavy armor, you gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
Cliffwalk. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
While shifting, you have a climb speed of 20 feet, and you have advantage on Strength checks and saving throws.
Dreamsight. Your Charisma score increases by 1, and you have training in the Animal Handling skill.
While shifting, you can communicate with beasts through sounds and gestures.
Gorebrute. Your Strength score increases by 1.
While shifting, you manifest horns that allow you to roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike.
If you move at least 20 feet straight toward a creature right before hitting it with your horns, the target takes an extra 1d4 bludgeoning damage and must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength bonus) or be knocked prone.
Longstride. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
While shifting, your base walking speed increases to 35 feet and you have advantage on Dexterity saving throws.
Longtooth. Your Strength score increases by 1.
While shifting, you grow fangs that allow you to roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike. The damage becomes piercing and the attack gains the property Light.
Razorclaw. Your Strength score increases by 1.
While shifting, you grow claws that allow you to roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike. The damage becomes slashing and the attack gains the property Versatile (1d6).
Swiftwing. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
While shifting, your arms grow leathery flaps of skin (similar to a bat’s wings) which grant you a fly speed of 20 feet.
While airborne, you can’t use your hands for anything other than flying. You can’t fly while encumbered (PHB page 178) or while wearing medium or heavy armor.
Truedive. Your Constitution score increases by 1 and you can hold your breath for a number of minutes equal to 2 + double your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1 minute) before you risk drowning.
While shifting, you have a swim speed of 30 feet.
Wildhunt. Your Constitution score increases by 1, and you have training in the Perception skill.
While shifting, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell, and you have advantage on Constitution saving throws.
New Feat
Extra Shifter Legacy
Prerequisite: Shifter
Choose a different shifter legacy from the list above. You gain all of the benefits of that legacy.
Additionally, you can shift 1 additional time per day.

Thread updated with all of the new links, in addition to a Birthright conversion.

Originally posted by Direach:

So it doesn't get lost in time and space, here's my homebrew monster, the Formless Servitor. It's primarily a warlock familiar for Great Old One pacts. It's a pocket shoggoth!

http://community.wizards.com/forum/player-help/threads/4137786

Forgot to add there's a thread where the spiked chain was discussed, and several people submitted their own versions(x).

Edit (2014/09/24): I have moved thisto my gaming blog (http://madgamingmadness.blogspot.com) for further editing and development. Any further updates will be made there. I turned the race name header into a link to the specific post discussing that race.
Warforged
[Deleted.]

As Mike Mearls has stated that the Warforged and Kender will be in the DMG - I will not be accepting entries for them at this time (not until after November 28th at least, and we see whether this comes to pass or not). This is especially true in light of the fact that a playtest version of both races already exists (and is sitting on my computer).

Edit (2014/09/24): I have moved thisto my gaming blog (http://madgamingmadness.blogspot.com) for further editing and development. Any further updates will be made there. I turned the race name header into a link to the specific post discussing that race.
Kalashtar
I'm not [UNKNOWN=del]: completely
happy with this one. Part of it is, I want to know how the new system will handle psionics, which has always been a bad fit for many fantasy games. The other is, well, the kalashtar's actual psyche and essence has always been kind of vague and undefined, which kind of fits their origin in the Realm of Dreams, I guess.
Kalashtar Traits
As a kalashtar, you have the following racial traits.
Ability Score Adjustment. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Possibly due either to their ascetic lifestyle or their dual-natured heritage, kalashtar are remarkably long-lived. Maturing at around 70 years of age, many live two centuries or more.
Alignment. Kalashtar are generally lawful good. They combine a sense of self-discipline that borders on the ascetic with a genuine concern for the welfare of all living things, or at least their souls.
Size. Kalashtar range from 5’ 6” to 6’ 6” in height, making their size Medium.
Dual-Natured. As a creature composed of a mortal host and a spirit from the Region of Dreams, you do not dream when you sleep.You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed or possessed (as by a ghost’s possession attack), and are immune to spells and abilities that require you to dream (such as the dream spell).
Skill Proficiency. You have training in the Insight, Intimidation and Persuasion skills.
Telepathy. Telepathy is a magical ability that allows you to communicate mentally with another creature within 30 feet. The target doesn't need to share a language with you to communicate in this way with it, but it must be able to understand at least one language. A creature without telepathy can receive and respond to telepathic messages but can't initiate or terminate a telepathic conversation.
You don't need to see the target and can end the telepathic contact at any time. The contact is broken as soon as you are no longer within range of each other or if you contact a different creature within range. You can initiate or terminate a telepathic conversation without using an action, but while you are incapacitated, you can't initiate telepathic contact, and any current contact is terminated.
Innate Spellcasting (Psionics). At 3rd level, you can cast the mindlink spell once per day. Once you reach 5rd level, you can cast the detect thoughts spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. You can innately cast these spells, requiring no components. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Language. Kalashtar speak Quor, the language of the quori, and the Common tongue. Quor is a hissing, guttural tongue more suited to the alien forms of the quori than their humanoid hosts. It has its own written form, a flowing, elegant script with many circular letters.

New Spell
Mindlink
1st level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a chain)
Duration: 5 minutes
You forge a telepathic bond with a creature. You can communicate telepathically with a willing creature you can see within range. You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language. Once the bond is formed it works over any distance, although not across planar boundaries.

Kalani wrote:As Mike Mearls has stated that the Warforged and Kender will be in the DMG - I will not be accepting entries for them at this time (not until after November 28th at least, and we see whether this comes to pass or not). This is especially true in light of the fact that a playtest version of both races already exists (and is sitting on my computer).
Fair enough.

AlHazred wrote: Psionics. You can cast the mindlink spell once per day. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the detect thoughts spell once per day as a 2nd-level spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can cast the clairvoyance spell once per day as a 3rd-level spell. You require no material components to cast any of these spells. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
This is more powerful than the Drow, which gains a cantrip at 1st level, a 1st level spell at 3rd level, and a 2nd level spell at 5th level (-1 spell level vs. a full spellcaster).
I strongly recommend replacing these with spells of equivalent level (cantrip, 1st, and 2nd respectively). No other race gains access to 1st level spells as a starting racial feature. With that being said, if you want to make this the primary feature of your race, I would reduce the power of their other racial features to compensate.

Regarding Mindlink
This spell seems to be a supped up version of the message cantrip. I would probably increase the duration to 1hour (concentration), although a 5min duration with no concentration requirement is of some usefulness.

Perhaps you might consider granting your Kalashtar race message as their starting cantrip?

I was considering it, but I'm still unhappy with the race as a whole, for the reasons in my intro. Kalashtar have a great backstory, and it just goes blah in the implementation in 3.5E and 4E.
I'll edit it based on your suggestions.
EDIT: As far as 5 Minutes versus Concentration up to 1 hour, I agree with you completely. I went with the shorter duration as a non-concentration spell, because I expect that a lot of kalashtar PCs will be Charisma-based casters who will have other uses for their concentration.
smile.gif

New Fighting Styles

Swashbuckler (Finesse)

• When wielding a sword in one hand, you can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the weapons attack and damage rolls.

Unarmored

• You gain the Unarmored Defense ability, as if you were a 1st level Barbarian or Monk (your choice).

Originally posted by Lawolf:

The Hero(x)

The Warblade

Remove ads