• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Resting

WinnableBadger

Explorer
Are the assumptions of resting the same as O5E? As in, does a SR still take and hour and a LR still take a whole night sleeping? Is the 6-8 encounters per LR expectation still the same? Are you perhaps meant to take a SR after every combat. This would really change how I view classes I and features I guess.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
As far as we've seen, yeah it's unfortunately still a Short Long Rest and a Long Long Rest. o5e's "Design" assumed a SR after every 2 combats, so equivalent to a 4e Milestone, which just made everything so messy. The main upgrade with regards to Short Rests is that Exertion recovers on a Short Rest so there's a lot more chance of the party as a whole wanting to short rest instead of just the Warlock and Monk.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
As far as we've seen, yeah it's unfortunately still a Short Long Rest and a Long Long Rest. o5e's "Design" assumed a SR after every 2 combats, so equivalent to a 4e Milestone, which just made everything so messy. The main upgrade with regards to Short Rests is that Exertion recovers on a Short Rest so there's a lot more chance of the party as a whole wanting to short rest instead of just the Warlock and Monk.
I believe that there are also some costs with supply consumption with long rest at least but don't remember how/if short rests are limited

Vampersan

Explorer
I'm a huge fan of the concept of Supply, Strife, and Fatigue in A5e, but I am curious about something: how does it work for a PC that, say, doesn't need to eat? Or for a PC that doesn't need to sleep?

Is Supply still something that PC needs to worry about if they don't eat or drink? Is such a sleep-immune character still subject to fatigue from standing around in armor all night during a long rest?

I know this likely won't be a common issue that arises, but it still could come up.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I'm a huge fan of the concept of Supply, Strife, and Fatigue in A5e, but I am curious about something: how does it work for a PC that, say, doesn't need to eat? Or for a PC that doesn't need to sleep?

Is Supply still something that PC needs to worry about if they don't eat or drink? Is such a sleep-immune character still subject to fatigue from standing around in armor all night during a long rest?

I know this likely won't be a common issue that arises, but it still could come up.
Creatures that don't need to sleep still need to take long rests, so as long as standing around in armor isn't enough to end a long rest, then they should be good.

A creature that doesn't need to eat wouldn't have to worry about Supply--but they can carry some anyway, for their friends.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Supply can include more than just food/water & probably does. You need to maintain your equipment, engage n some kind of regular hygiene practices or similar equivalent for unusual life forms. Logically most creatures need something more than bare earth to rest on. so on & so forth.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Supply can include more than just food/water & probably does. You need to maintain your equipment, engage n some kind of regular hygiene practices or similar equivalent for unusual life forms. Logically most creatures need something more than bare earth to rest on. so on & so forth.
Or, as came up in our home game the other week, insect repellant. It's all consumables.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads