D&D 5E Rethinking weapon attacks

Ainamacar

Adventurer
TL;DR: Make number of attacks player choice by moving to a "per die" rather than "per attack" notion of damage. To make the damage scale nicely, let ability score increase the minimum possible damage on a die (ability mod > 0), or reduce maximum possible damage on a die (mod < 0) instead of simply adding to the total damage.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along with many others I've been pondering the issue of weapon attacks, and particularly two-weapon fighting, after seeing the most recent playtest. I'm wondering if maybe we could revisit the basic D&D abstraction of weapon attacks to build a more flexible and balanced mechanic from the start.

The mechanical core I'm considering is moving away from damage determined on a "per attack" basis to a "per die" basis. In this conception, weapon damage dice are indistinguishable from expertise dice. Additional attacks can be made a long as one has at least one damage die to contribute, but as long as the effects scale per die and not per mechanical attack one can avoid many issues surrounding multiple attacks.

For example, in this scheme two-weapon fighting is simply wielding another weapon and gaining another expertise die, i.e. its damage die. (Presumably most one-handed weapons would have a single damage die, two-handed weapons could have a large single or two smaller damage dice, and "double weapons" would have two damage dice. One could also integrate things like shield bashing into this scheme quite easily -- it might simply be a special offhand weapon.) It grants another "potential attack" in that a character could choose to spend dice that way, but the player could choose to stick to only a single mechanical attack if desired. As another example, even a low-level fighter surrounded by goblins may choose to make a few attacks without needing fancy maneuvers, which I think is a pet peeve for more than a few players. As long as the mechanical incentives are such that making few attacks is usually more effective than many attacks, most of the time we can keep game pace more consistent and mitigate the traditional high-level slowdown introduced by take-it-or-leave-it iterative attacks.

Now, a potential problem is how to re-imagine the mechanical relationship between ability score bonuses and the like to avoid the math and balance issues surrounding the iterative attacks of yesteryear. It's pretty clear to me that simply adding an ability score modifier to each damage die would only lead back to hit point inflation and huge gaps between the average damage of different characters unless the possible number of ED were tightly limited. For example, if an 18-strength character could add +4 damage to each of his 3d6 ED he would average 22.5 damage per round. The same character adding that damage per attack, i.e. in the traditional way, would average 14.5 damage per round. And the gap between a character with few ED and a modest ability score and one with many ED and a high one would grow even larger.

So, I think we would need to look for alternate mechanical expressions for the ability mod. I've considered several, but so far my favorite is letting the mod increase the minimum damage roll on a die (if positive), or reducing the maximum damage roll on a die (if negative). For example, a character with 16 Str might increase the minimum damage per die by +3. If he rolls a d6 and gets a 1-4 the damage is 4, and on a 5 or 6 it is as shown on the die. A character with 8 Str might roll a d6 and get a 6, but because of the -1 modifier to max damage the attack would only do 5 damage. That is, if that character had rolled a 5 instead, it would still be 5 damage. The ability mod therefore makes it more likely the weapon does damage closer to its theoretical maximum (or minimum if negative) and keeps the overall range of damage in the game a bit more limited. In other words, the modifiers increase the reliability of weapon damage to be either good or bad, but because they only alter rolls at the extreme ranges of a die the damage difference between characters only turns on slowly. If a strength 18, 10, and 6 character all wield the same d12 weapon, the first will always get between 5-12 damage (avg=7.33), the second 1-12 damage (avg=6.5) and the latter 1-10 (avg=6.25). Over many dice these differences can add up, but they will inhibit one character from outdamaging another by multiples while doing the same thing.

Example in play: A 4th level fighter with 17 Str is dual wielding short swords. She thus has 4d6 ED. On the first round 4 goblin underlings rush her, and the fighter decides to attack each once. She hits on the first attack and rolls a 2 for damage, but because her ability mod is +3 the minimum damage on a d6 is 4 so she actually does 4 damage. She also hits on the second and third attacks, but rolls a 5 and 6 for damage, which is unmodified by her strength. That is enough to kill those three. She misses the 4th goblin, however. On the next round the goblin boss shows up as well. She attacks the last underling and hits, rolling a 1 for damage but still doing 4 points of damage. Then she attacks the boss and hits, and her damage roll is 5,2,4 for a total of 13 damage. The next round all the other enemies are dead, so until the boss is dead she puts all her dice into a single attack on it each round. Whether she makes 1 attack or 4, however, her total expected damage remains in the same ballpark.

The major downsides I see are that it is different from the normal and by now second-nature way of calculating damage simply by adding. It may be a little slower, although I think that would disappear with practice. In addition, for extreme ability scores the range of possible damage is so low that rolling may feel like a waste of time. Whether the much lower variance in weapon damage (given a particular character) is a feature or a bug probably depends on the player.

A lesser downside, in my opinion, is that high ability mods eventually surpass the size of the die, and that seems not quite elegant. For example, if a giant has 22 str for a +6 modifier, does a d4 damage die cause 4 damage (capped) or 7 damage (because minimum damage is raised by 6). I'd lean toward the latter, but I don't know. Either way, if ability scores for characters max out at 20 this will only happen for d4s and d6s. Only a mod of +11 (32) would saturate a d12, and that is clearly up in "god of strength" territory if the giants article is any indication.

In order to keep play moving swiftly it is probably best if multiple attacks are not always the best option. For example, if Deadly Strike allows one to add ED as damage after finding out an attack is successful, then the most efficient use of ED even against a single opponent would be to make attacks with a single ED one at a time until one hits. Even a decreasing attack bonus per attack wouldn't change that tactic. Instead, the player must have an incentive to spend ED on attacks before the outcome is known. Perhaps adding damage after-the-fact does not include the ability mod, for example. Likewise, many maneuvers should probably work better if the dice are spent or risked up front. Whether or not additional attacks should be penalized in terms of attack bonus I'm not sure, but at least a single rule would suffice instead of the rainbow of penalties for additional attacks in 3/3.5.

Other areas that would need to be considered are how to handle magic items, especially since special weapons have generally had per hit effects that may not be appropriate with this design.

Overall, I think this conception embraces the abstraction of attacks in D&D more fully than past systems and could reduce cases where the abstraction leaks. It has always been the case that a mechanical attack and narrative attack do not necessarily correspond, but non-correspondence can cause conflicts in scenarios where the player often would like them to correspond, as with two-weapon fighting granting an extra attack. Likewise, when iterative attacks were essentially required to get full effect in a round some narrative elements (e.g. a single power lunge) were more difficult to buy. Moving to a per die system from a per attack system embraces the existing abstraction by letting the player or DM choose their own correspondence more freely, and from round-to-round, with far fewer mechanical side effects.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Let me see if I can sum up and simplify.
Weapon damage dice and expertise dice are the same thing. If you have two weapons, or your weapon grants you two dice, you may apply the dice from both to the damage of an attack, but you only apply static bonuses once. In addition, you can apply those dice to maneuvers where appropriate.
If this is what you mean, I like it. In effect, weapons are always using their damage dice for the deadly strike maneuver. But, perhaps the whip could apply its die toward trips, and an offhand finesse weapon could apply its die toward parry or attack.

Getting the language right on this is the tricky part. It has to feel intuitive and uncomplicated.

kerleth

Explorer
That sounds like a very interesting concept. It still needs a lot of spit and polish, obviously, but I for one am intrigued.

BriarMonkey

First Post
Weapon damage dice and expertise dice are the same thing. If you have two weapons, or your weapon grants you two dice, you may apply the dice from both to the damage of an attack, but you only apply static bonuses once. In addition, you can apply those dice to maneuvers where appropriate.

I didn't get quite that from my read through (though my brain is being slow today)... What I understood was this :

You get a number of total dice equal to your expertise dice and the damage dice of the weapon, or weapons, you are wielding. You may use those dice as any number of attacks, provided each attack consumes at least one die. Thus, if you have 6 dice, you can make 6 attacks at 1 die each - or one attack with all 6 dice - or any combination thereof. Static damage modifiers apply to the damage range of each die, as opposed to being simply additive. Similarly, those same dice may be used to weigh the outcome of a manuever, or maneuvers, vice the damage of an attack.

In a way, it kinda harkens back to the old 1E rule where Fighters got an attack for every level they had when fighting things like Kobolds and Goblins... At least, it reminded me of that...

As for comments, well, I'm not sure what to make of it. On one hand, it allows for greater flexibility in the attacking arena, but on the other I can see issues with the allowance of too many attacks at higher levels. I think I need to mull it over a while.

Last edited:

Ainamacar

Adventurer
Let me see if I can sum up and simplify.
If this is what you mean, I like it. In effect, weapons are always using their damage dice for the deadly strike maneuver. But, perhaps the whip could apply its die toward trips, and an offhand finesse weapon could apply its die toward parry or attack.

Getting the language right on this is the tricky part. It has to feel intuitive and uncomplicated.

Thanks for trying to break it down. I am overfond of the wall-of-text when considering sweeping mechanical changes. :)

I think your summary is 90% accurate. The full equivalence between damage dice and ED is certainly true. The part where I'm not sure if your summary and my idea correspond is where you say that "but you only apply static bonuses once." What you mean by "static bonus" is unclear to me, because in my conception if there are 5 damage dice involved in some attack then the "static bonus" to damage may very well apply 5 times, exactly once per die. (Dice could be spent on something else instead, of course, like activating a totally different maneuver.)

Example:
A character has a longsword (1d8) and an additional 1d6 ED from a class. His strength is 14 (+2 ability mod). For the sake of argument suppose this character has 4 maneuvers:
1. A basic attack, which requires 1 or more ED that are specified before making the attack. For this character the minimum damage of each die used in a basic attack is raised by +2. That is, a roll of 1, 2, or 3 results in 3 damage, and any higher roll uses the face value. The ability mod has no other effect on the damage of a basic attack.
2. A push maneuver that can be activated after a successful attack to move a creature by 1 square per ED spent.
3. A trip maneuver that costs 1 ED and trips on a successful hit, and may be used separately or simply added to another maneuver. This ED must be paid up front, and the trip by itself does no damage.
4. Deadly strike, where damage dice can be added after making a successful attack. These damage dice are not modified by ability mod.

The character could

1. Make a single basic attack using both ED for damage, both of which gain the ability mod bonus.
  2. Make a basic attack with a single ED. If successful the character may choose to push the target 1 square, add 1 die of damage, or save the remaining ED. If ED remain the target has the option of making a trip attack (for no damage) or a second basic attack this round.
  3. Make a trip attack spending exactly 1 ED. If successful the character may choose to also push the target 1 square, add 1 die of damage, or save the remaining ED. If ED remain, the target has the option of making a second trip attack or a basic attack this same round.
  4. Make a combination basic + trip maneuver as a single attack. If successful the target is knocked down and takes 1 die of damage (the ability mod bonus applies).
The key thing here is that the number of attacks is variable and the ED are simply apportioned as desired, and because bonuses or special effects are applied based on how the ED are spent (and not on the number of attacks) we sidestep most of the problems associated with iterative attacks. This example also applies to any character with two ED and those same 4 maneuvers, regardless of how those ED were gained. A character with no class ED but who dual wields or uses a double weapon would function essentially the same way.

I think this also allows for a more fluid battlefield from the start of the game, and hopefully diminishes both the wait for and weight on certain maneuvers to provide basic tactical options. For example, both spring attack and whirlwind attack, in their basic forms, are practically built into this system. Compared to the number of 3e feats or 4e powers that went into enabling those basic tactical styles, that strikes me as a significant benefit.

Another long post, but hopefully this one is a bit clearer. :)

Ainamacar

Adventurer
I didn't get quite that from my read through (though my brain is being slow today)... What I understood was this :

You get a number of total dice equal to your expertise dice and the damage dice of the weapon, or weapons, you are wielding. You may use those dice as any number of attacks, provided each attack consumes at least one die. Thus, if you have 6 dice, you can make 6 attacks at 1 die each - or one attack with all 6 dice - or any combination thereof. Static damage modifiers apply to the damage range of each die, as opposed to being simply additive. Similarly, those same dice may be used to weigh the outcome of a manuever, or maneuvers, vice the damage of an attack.

In a way, it kinda harkens back to the old 1E rule where Fighters got an attack for every level they had when fighting things like Kobolds and Goblins... At least, it reminded me of that...

As for comments, well, I'm not sure what to make of it. On one hand, it allows for greater flexibility in the attacking arena, but on the other I can see issues with the allowance of too many attacks at higher levels. I think I need to mull it over a while.

Yes, your summary is what I intended to convey. To make it not bog down at higher levels I think it is important to design things so that it is usually better to make one or two big attacks rather than a whole slew of smaller ones. There are several mechanisms available

• Limit the total number of ED, by favoring making ED larger rather than more numerous.
  • Incentivize spending ED up front, rather than saving them. If they are risked up front they can't be spent on additional attacks later.
  • Write maneuvers that are difficult to spam, even with no restrictions on how ED can be spent. Give them a significant cost, apply a -2 penalty per additional attack, whatever. Without such measures my trip maneuver example in the post above falls afoul of this principle: Given enough ED one would be almost certain to trip a foe.
  • Consider rules that prohibit maneuver spamming directly. I favor a soft touch, though.
  • ?

Last edited:

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I think your summary is 90% accurate.
[...]

You're essentially turning Expertise Dice into action points. Split them up on different sub-actions however you like.

It's elegant and works well with multiple weapons and ranged weapons, but it will definitely slow the game because it gives the fighter incentive to split up all of his attacks to maximize damage potential. It's better to make a distinction between a primary attack and a quick jab or shot maneuver.

That said, it's good thinking. Definitely worth the discussion.

Ainamacar

Adventurer
The damage modifier could be transformed in another dice:
-2 -1d4
-1 -1d2
+1 1d2
+2 1d4
+3 1d6
+4 1d8

I assume you mean as an extra ED, not as a modifier to the size of already existing ED? I must admit, that does sound pretty awesome: keeps calculating damage purely a matter of addition and can also scale indefinitely by rolling over to another 1d2 after hitting 1d12. And the ability score offers the chance not just to hit harder, but to slightly open up tactical options. Very elegant. The only hesitation I might have is if we really want a 1d2 to count toward activating maneuvers as much as a 1d12, but even now my brain is admonishing me for nitpicking.

Warbringer

Explorer
Nice thinking on this, and it essentially does a divided attack or whirlwind action without a feat.

In other systems strength adds extra damage dice for each point of strength over a minimum up to a maximum number of dice. Let's say you get an extra die of damage type for every 5 points over the minimum to wield the weapon, where min str is now 2xave Damage and max dice gained is 3 ... Yeah a little clunky :)

But a fighter with 18 str wielding a long sword, str 9, gains an extra d8, while a warrior with str 28' gains an extra 3, the max.

About too many attacks at higher level, the damage distribution need will take care of this, meaning the hero needs to do more damage to be effective and is probably not going to allocate dice to more than 2-3 attacks.

To make extra attacks at 6th not obsolete, we could say a hero can only make a number of attacks against the same target equal to the total number of listed attacks per round that they have?

Remove ads