RPM: At last! - save your data between updates, and other import/export capabilities

Luke

Explorer
This will probably be the most awaited piece of RPM development news yet.
The latest RPM preview addresses (amongst other things), possibly the biggest current RPM complaint.

From now on RPM releases support an import/export capability that allows you to save your personal information when updating your release of RPM. Importantly, this also copes with any possible database structure changes!

The latest export/import capabilities also allow you to transfer select characters between machines running RPM, or even post entire adventures (info, creatures, maps, locations, items, groups etc) on the internet - for the RPG community!

You can check out the preview, with more detail, at http://www.enworld.org/roleplayingmaster

Regards,

Last edited:

Cergorach

The Laughing One
YES!!! OMG!!! YES!!!

*gives Luke a high five and does the boogie-woogie*

Uhm, i only read the title of the tread, didn't have time to read the message, i'll do so right now ;-)

Luke

Explorer
CRGreathouse said:

Interesting. How does this work?

Okay. That sounded a bit grandiose.
The RPM database structures are pretty mature nowm and only likely to change with the possible addition of new fields, or perhaps increasing the length of some string fields etc.

When you select a zip file for import, RPM will expand the zip into the "export" directory, and examine the field structures of all tables. Any differences are corrected to match the current field structures, and the current tables are updated with the import data.

Any possible very major restructure (ie. tables interrelate differently, may require a small script to massage table data. This is pretty simple for me to do, since you have full access to the database through JScript (RPM's scripting language).

Regards,

Remove ads