Level Up (A5E) Rules Clarification: Help Action

Cylock

Explorer
Do you need to be within 5 feet of the enemy or ally in order to use the Help Action to help an ally attack a creature?

The Help Action States:
You can also help a friendly creature in attacking a creature. You must be able to target the creature with an attack, or otherwise threaten it. If your ally attacks the target before your next turn, its next attack roll against the target is made with advantage.

By reading this paragraph by itself, it doesn't seem like there is a specific range specified as long as the player can target it or threaten it. So my interpretation is that someone with a ranged attack could use the Help Action in this manner.

However I then came across the Tactical Support Feat:
When using the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the targeted creature can be up to 30 feet away instead of 5 feet.

Now I am confused.... why would the authors have added the "instead of 5 feet" descriptor when a precise range is never mentioned anywhere else....
I appreciate your help!

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
That should read "You must be able to target the creature with a melee attack, or otherwise threaten it." So if you've got a melee weapon with reach, or are about to push a pile of bricks on a creature, you can use the Help action to improve someone else's attack against it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases