WotBS Running Innenotdar WotBS #2 (spoilers)

John Doom

Explorer
These questions may, in fact, be dumb... but in "The Ritual Interrupted" there is that minimap showing the white area where "Part 3: The Trap" occurs. Should that be something I just draw out on the map to let them know where it occurs, or has someone created a map of that area in full scale to overlay the main map?

And has anyone created a pre-cracked ground section to cover up the cracked ground in the saving the dryad children portion?

EDIT: Actually, I've now created the overlay, although if anyone uses it they'll have to make sure that the very top is cut out for the tree... Once I figure out how to attach it in here I will.

Last edited:

sfedi

First Post
These questions may, in fact, be dumb... but in "The Ritual Interrupted" there is that minimap showing the white area where "Part 3: The Trap" occurs. Should that be something I just draw out on the map to let them know where it occurs, or has someone created a map of that area in full scale to overlay the main map?
When I ran it, first I put a blank battle mat, a token representing the altar and asked for everyone to put themselves around it (I also put Khadral in the map).
I also described that they where in a gazebo of plants, and that there was some path leading out of it.

Once everyone got their minis on the map, I replaced it with the one with the hole in it, and started the encounter.

And has anyone created a pre-cracked ground section to cover up the cracked ground in the saving the dryad children portion?
I didn't ran that on a tactical display, I ran it like this:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/war-bu...burning-sky-skill-challenges.html#post5028011

Daern

Explorer
I made a battlemat out of dungeon tiles with an altar, pillars for the trees, and a series of "crack" tiles to represent the broken ground. It didn't work out too well. I ran it as a combat with a skill challenge, but the multiple successes required to get to the children didn't fit well with the six squares separating them from the PCs. Saying, "This part of the battle is a little more abstract" didn't help much.
It was still a neat encounter because I had some characters stuck inside the ritual zone getting pinballed around by tree limbs (which I described as willows), while others were trying to save the dryad-children. However, if I did it again I think I would make the rescue challenge part literally off the map. Out of sight and into the minds-eye...
Have fun! Running them right down into the fungus encounter was also pretty neat!

Bercilak

Explorer
Well, my next game with that encounter starts in 15 minutes... I'm kidding. ;)

Whenever you get to it would be cool. I just like the way you took the framework of skill challenges and turned it into a mini-game.
--Berc

Remove ads