• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running the Campagin on B/X D&D

The Eternal GM

First Post
So I finally gave in to all the ads for WotBS and checked it out. Quite nice looking, and more my pace than most games (ie: Dungeon-lite/Adventure-high) so I promptly went out and bought chapter one.

Of course, a day later it became free... *shakes fist at the heavens*

After I finished cursing, I realized that both I, and my group, would prefer to play it using B/X D&D. Now since I've only read chapter one so far, I can't gauge the late-game content.

So how do people think this will pan out? Obviously I know I'm going to have to make adjustments as I go, and that's fine, but is there any large problems anyone can see if I chose to play red box?

Has anyone else done the same? Playing WotBS on basic, original, advanced or whatever who can tell me any specific issues that cropped up?

Volaran

First Post
This is from a player perspective, rather than a DM.

A lot of the flavour of the Ragesian Inquisitors, who tend to show up a lot, is their ability to really effectively counterspell. As long as you can simulate this ad hoc, you should be cool. If you're thinking about translating the whole campaign saga anyway, I can't see it posing a problem. :)

The Eternal GM

First Post
I am intending to, and mostly it's due to the ease of rules on B/X compared to 3.5... I can tailor bits and pieces as I go. The inquisitors are easy done, still clerics after all, just dumping turn undead for counter-spell powers and having good saves against mind attacks.

So otherwise no foreseeable issues? Cool.

Rugult

On Call GM
The only other issue I might forsee would be stating out the Trillith and deciding on how their boons would work.

Boons like Indomitability's could be kept generally the same, but something like Madness or Deception (skill based) might be a bit more tricky.

Sadly my knowledge of B/X D&D is fairly limited, so I can't comment too much. But I can say that the Trillith are unique even for 3e, so they might need a bit of retooling to have the same effect in B/X.

Remove ads