Shadows of Greatness, a Forgotten Realms campaign UPDATED February 1, 2008

I've got about half way through so far - its a lot to read!

Its very good stuff. You guys are all very good at getting into character in your journals, and its good to get different perspectives on everything.

It does seem to jump around a lot though, so it can be pretty hard to follow.

sniffles

First Post
A Dramatic Rescue

Thanks for the comment, amethal. I suppose one of the problems with writing this in first-person style is that you only get to see what one character sees - and sometimes I forget to go back and clarify things that he might have learned later (or that I just forgot about). I'll see what I can do to remedy that now that I'm using audio recordings rather than handwritten notes to track our sessions.
-------------------------------------

Though it is a relief to at last have Covenant's journal in our possession, it has not proved as satisfactory a source of information as we had hoped. We are now in possession of numerous prophetic verses and other snippets of information regarding the Sword and the Gauntlet, but they tell us little more of what our next course of action should be than we should have known without them.

The high priest of the temple of Elishar gave us leave to visit the Hall of Prophecy, the inner sanctum of the temple, which previously had been barred to any but Nekaya-Re. There we spent some hours in discussion of the information we have gathered. The blind prophet we encountered in Arrabar gave many verses to Nekaya-Re that I had not previously been aware of - but I do not find them of much use. Prophecy is an inexact craft, it seems to me.

Several of these verses make reference to numbers of persons, or so it appears; the numbers seven and five appear in several places. We spent some little while attempting to determine what persons these numbers might represent. At first it seemed to me that the seven must mean my wife and her company, and a second seven in the same verse would then refer to myself and my companions. But this would then mean that Sandrue and Phaela must be included in that number, for now there are only six of us if we count Pakkin, and I doubt that the goblin is meant to be a person of import in fulfilling the prophecy. Must we then persuade Sandrue and Phaele to rejoin us in order to fulfill the prophecy?

More daunting still is a reference to "seven who fail", leaving us to wonder if this means Covenant's company or our own. The next verse referring to seven and then five makes more sense to me, though I wonder who of the seven and who of the five are to fulfill the prophecy and what will become of the rest of those numbers.
-------------------------
*Note: Here are the verses Telemnar is referring to above [sblock]
-- "Seven and Seven and Seven again, seven to proclaim it, seven to fail.
Seven to accomplish where others but wail."
-- "Seven and Seven, Five and Five, proclaim the Birth, find Him Alive"
-- "Seven of Seven, born in the light; five of five, shadows they fight; One
from the seventh, one of the five; five in the shadows, one found alive"
[/sblock]
-------------------------
Our discussion has cast doubt on our previous intention to visit the dragon in the Cloven Mountains. Not only is it clear that the dragon will not welcome us, but we now doubt whether Covenant's belief that the Gauntlet of Dawn is necessary to recover the Sword of the Dread-Not is correct. It seems that the Gauntlet is indeed a powerful object, but the Sword cannot be found or held by the bearer of the Gauntlet.

It is unfortunate that Covenant lacked the information which Osaze imparted to us. Had he known of this he might not have set himself upon the course that led to his disappearance.
[sblock]
Devo: "Nekaya realizes that she can recognize the faithful of Elishar by the light in their eyes. Which means that Pakkin would have a very slight glow."
Jubilee: "He's kind of a believer?"
Zora: "He's a dim bulb."
[/sblock]
Erim tells us that he has transcribed the prophecies and our discussion of them into the enchanted journal, so that information may be conveyed to Sandrue. Even if we are not meant to bring Sandrue back among our number, at least he will be able to give us his insight.

We have many days yet in which to determine what we shall pursue next. Liadan has planned a prayer vigil on behalf of her father at the temple of Lathanul. Until such time, we will contemplate our future while we find other activities to occupy ourselves.

Liadan has sought my assistance in selecting a warhorse. Though she is reluctant to choose a new mount, being very fond of Shadowcast, she has concluded that she needs a steed better trained for battle. Thus we have spent several days visiting horse ranches in the area in search of the ideal animal.

Baran has also devised a training regimen for us, to improve our ability to coordinate our actions in combat. When he is not drilling us in new tactics, he continues to make repairs to the temple of Elishar, and also has taken up once again practicing his craft of metalsmithing, which has languished since our time in Arrabar.

I have in the meanwhile pursued further my desire to free Ruathar from his bondage. It is a difficult task, for the trials by combat in which he is being forced to participate are conducted by the temple of the god Kord, and open to view only by invitation. Madu el Barake has never witnessed such combats himself. Liadan has asked at both Covenant House and the temple of Lathanul and can find no one there who will admit to having attended such a contest. Only those who have attended appear to know the location where the contests take place.

I am reluctant to circumvent the laws of Calimshan to achieve my goal, but I am determined to do all in my power to achieve it before we depart from this city. I continue my efforts to find the location of the arena. I am not forming a favorable impression of the faith of Kord if their interest in competition and strength includes forcing men to fight against their will.
[sblock]
Hedrin: "The first rule of attacking Fight Club is to find Fight Club."
[/sblock]
I have also been attempting to recover Ruathar's ancestral sword, with Madu's assistance. But this effort has met with no more success than the freedom of Ruathar. The man who purchased the sword considers it the pride of his collection and will not part with it at any price.

I pray that Corellon will grant me some boon to aid me in this effort.

Liadan has also been employing the powers granted her by Lathander to contact various persons of her acquaintance, seeking information about the state of our homelands and other affairs. Sadly she knows no one in the Hidden Hills.

But she has been able to contact Fallon Nightstar, as I believe I have documented previously in these pages. He continues to refuse to communicate with her. To learn more of his activities in Amn, she has created a scrying device with which to view him at a distance. Though I am not entirely comfortable with spying on someone without their knowledge, I cannot fault her desire to learn why he insists that he will only speak with her face to face.

Sadly it seems that our former associate may have reverted to the sort of activities we suspect he engaged in before coming under Garrett's tutelage. Liadan witnessed him interrogating a bound prisoner, though unfortunately her device did not permit her to hear what words were spoken, only to see a vision of the place and who was with Fallon at the time.

She has told us that she has also attempted to reach the paladin Sir Tyrion, but her spell failed to take effect. She has no way of knowing the cause of this. I hope that it does not bode ill for the paladin. Baran has used the same method to reach our friend Nicos, but he is no longer in company with Sir Tyrion and has joined the struggle to resist those who would restore the ancient empire of Chondath.

In preparation for the next portion of our journey, we have also investigated further the portal Nekaya-Re discovered in the Hall of Prophecy in the temple of Elishar. It contains carvings very like those in the ruined shrine that brought us originally from Cormyr. Erim has examined the portal and its carvings and has determined that it can only be opened by certain specific conditions. At least one other portal may exist in addition to the three we are presently aware of , each requiring similar specific conditions to activate - but it appears that each can be opened by a different key, so to speak. Most perplexingly, it appears that one of the portals requires a priest who can channel divine energies of a negative nature, something that neither Liadan nor Nekaya-Re can achieve. At present we are not certain where this portal leads, nor how we will be able to utilize it.

So many possibilities are open to us now. Gods grant that we choose wisely.

I received a message from our friend Madu that he had further information regarding Ruathar and would like to share it with me at my earliest convenience. My friends were also invited to attend. After employing my enchanted ring to contact my companions - for Nekaya-Re has been spending much of her time at the temple - I made my way to Madu's estate and my friends joined me there.

Madu explained that his efforts to negotiate a release had failed, and then asked me how far I would be willing to go to achieve Ruathar's freedom. I explained that while I do not wish to break the laws of the city, I am determined. Then I heard the sound of running footsteps and another servant hurried up to his master and murmured something urgently in Madu's ear. Madu turned to me with some excitement and explained that reportedly Ruathar had managed to escape his captors!

According to the servant's information, Ruathar was traveling in the direction of one of the city's poorest and most dangerous quarters. Madu readily gave his servants leave to show us the way and offered his aid in hiding Ruathar should we locate him. I helped one servant onto Aratan's back behind me and rode at the front of our company with all speed toward the indicated area. I had forgotten until we began our race to the poor quarter that our mounts had all been given enchanted shoes by Re-Horakhty. We galloped through the streets in curious silence.

The streets of this slum were too narrow and winding for safe riding, so the servants directed us to a neighboring stable where we could leave our mounts while we searched. Two of the servants who had accompanied us remained at the stable to look after our steeds. The third led us on into the maze-like arrangement of tumble-down structures.

It soon became apparent that the denizens of this neighborhood did not welcome our presence. We ran through the streets, Baran and I shouting Ruathar's name in my native tongue, but quickly found our way barred by a crowd of locals brandishing makeshift weapons, who demanded that we leave at once.

Baran had chosen to go in a different direction to widen our search, but he too came upon person who wished to block his way, though by his ring we could hear that his foes were servants of the temple of Kord, no doubt in hot pursuit of their "property". While Liadan and Nekaya-Re attempted to negotiate with the crowd we faced, Baran demonstrated his disdain for Kord's adherents by bringing down the man who opposed him.

Nekaya-Re meanwhile had managed to persuade the leader of the crowd that it would be in his best interest to accept a reward to assist us. We soon found numerous local residents rushing to offer us information about Ruathar's whereabouts, some of them even becoming confused when told to seek an elf and mistaking myself or Erim for the person we sought.

Having heard that Baran was engaged in a struggle, I parted company with the rest of my friends and ran to find him, followed by Liadan. We found him safe, though his foe had perished. A few moments later we heard a call from our friends that they had found Ruathar.

We rushed to the area to find two figures wrestling upon the ground. Ruathar had just dispatched his opponent. As he scrambled to his feet and assumed a defensive posture, I realized that I had in fact met him, long ago.

"I do not wish to fight my own, but I will not be taken again," he said, turning to Erim and I as we approached. I stepped forward, my hands empty, and replied, "I am Telemnar Rohendil, husband of Erendis. I have come to aid you."

"Is Erendis here?" Ruathar asked. I shook my head. "No," I answered.

"We shall speak of this further when this is done," he agreed.

"But first we must get you to safety," Baran offered in the tongue of my people. Already we could hear more hurried footsteps approaching.

Last edited:

sniffles

First Post
I just added a little info to the above post that will hopefully make it easier to figure out what Telemnar is talking about without having to go back to the previous page to read all the prophecy info.

--sniffles

sniffles

First Post
Freedom

Liadan murmured a short prayer to Lathander and a wave of soothing energy passed over us, closing some of Ruathar’s wounds. We were surrounded by a crowd of locals who had swarmed to Nekaya-Re when she offered coin for their aid. The crowd pressed closer when they felt the effect of Lathander’s blessing.

From the enchanted ring I heard Baran’s voice warn, “Up on the roof near Nekaya, there’s someone who looks out of place.”

A moment later he shouted, “Assassin!” A tiny glowing ember fell to the ground and blossomed into a burst of flames that engulfed the area where we stood. “If you value your lives get out of here!” Nekaya-Re cried. With screams of fear and pain, the crowd began to flee, leaving behind only those who had been burned. “Lathander’s embrace enfolds us all,” intoned Liadan, and once more I experienced the Morninglord’s healing mercy.

“We need to get away from this place,” I said to Ruathar. “We should leave. We will take you to safety.”

He replied,”If those were my captors then I would not run now that I am armed.” I drew one of my shortswords and extended it to him, for he was armed only with a dagger and it appeared that we would not be able to depart without a struggle.
[sblock]
Devo: “He pulls out a brass whistle and starts blowing, but you don’t hear anything.”
Jubilee: “Does Pakkin start barking?”
[/sblock]
Baran smashed his hammer into the rude building on which his foe stood and it crumbled like crushed crockery. But the man somehow failed to lose his balance and remained on his feet, gliding on the rubble with surprising grace.

A piercing whistle sounded. With it came more adversaries. They appeared amid cold blue flames that burned our flesh when we struck them with our weapons. They struck back at us with heavy red clubs designed to crush bone.

Nekay-Re wreathed us in an aura of protective energy and hurled a shortspear. “This blue fire hurts!” she exclaimed. Liadan began to glow with Lathander’s radiant light.

“If you want to play, let’s play,” Baran growled. He smashed his opponent’s club. Inspired by his example, I used my swords to relieve one man of his weapons. “Leave and live to fight another day,” I said to him. But he put up his fists as if meaning to fight me with his bare hands.

Ruathar hissed with fury at a tall dwarf who appeared among our foes. “For all the dishonor you have heaped upon me, Jorek, you will die,” he snarled. He slashed the dwarf several times, disregarding the blue flames that burned him with intense cold each time.

While Ruathar grappled with Jorek the dwarf, I let my opponent feel the flat of my blades. I struck harder than I meant to, perhaps in righteous indignation at how Ruathar had been mistreated. When my hapless foe collapsed, I said to Baran, “Are you able to manage these two?” for he now faced two of Kord's adherents. He smiled coldly at me, assuring me that they were no challenge.

Stepping past my fallen enemy, I turned to watch as Ruathar struggled with the dwarf. But I did not intercede, feeling that Ruathar desired to defeat Jorek without my aid.

Ruathar cried out a curse, and then Jorek pinned him, preventing him from speaking further. Seeing that he was unable to overcome the dwarf, I plunged Sulian’s blade into the dwarf’s flesh, heedless of the cold fire that wreathed him. His movements grew feebler, but fearing some subterfuge I pierced him once again. When he fell still I bent to pull him away from Ruathar.

Once freed from Jorek’s grasp, Ruathar thrust forward with his knife, plunging it into the dwarf’s breast with an expression of fearful rage. As he struck he uttered a terrible curse, damning the dwarf’s soul to eternal torment. I flinched from the hatred I read in his eyes.

On seeing Jorek’s demise, some of the other slavers began to withdraw. But one fired an arrow that struck me, though it did me little hurt. One of the men called out, “Jorek is down. The elf is free.” Another piercing whistle sounded such as we had heard when they arrived. The remainder of Kord’s adherents then disappeared into the winding alleys of the poor quarter.

I laid a hand on Ruathar’s arm and murmured, “Corellon be with you.” Corellon’s healing power is not strong in me, but I was glad for what little I could do. Ruathar gave me a grateful glance, then turned to the spot where the dwarf’s body lay and spat at it.
[sblock]
Zora: “Rock does 88 points of subdual damage.”
Sniffles: “Wow! I think you subdued someone about 3 blocks away.”
[/sblock]
“I think we should leave,” said Nekaya-Re. I agreed. “Yes, we should return to Madu’s mansion,” I replied. But we hesitated a moment while Liadan and Nekaya-Re extended the mercies of their gods to cure some of our wounds.

As we made our way back to the stable where we had left our mounts, the local residents quickly took cover in fear, a sad sight to my eyes. But we did not linger to allay their fear. The servant who had guided us said to us, “There is a safe haven where we can take refuge.” When Nekaya-Re asked if we might bring the horses, the servant replied that they should make us more noticeable.

Erim and Pakkin then volunteered to go to the stable and recover the horses while the rest of our group followed the servant to the refuge. We paused for a moment in an alley to make ourselves less conspicuous, for we were all bloodied, and Nekaya-Re wore her cloak of vivid blue feathers – and of course she is always accompanied by the glowing shape of Sunshine, whom she requested to take cover in her bag.

We were conducted to a large but unremarkable building, where the servant who guided us told Ruathar that he would be safe. To this Ruathar replied in the common tongue that he was grateful for the assistance. It was the first time since we had met that he spoke in anything but the language of our people.

He then turned to me and said, “I thank you for finding me. Where did you say Erendis is? We have need of her.”

I answered him,”We do not know. But it is a place that cannot be found by magic. Attempts have been made without success.”

“She is not with our lord, is she?” he asked with concern. Recalling the words the sword Justice had spoken to me, I said no - though my heart has begun to tell me that she should be, and some fell power must prevent her from entering Arvandor. But I did not express as much to Ruathar.

He then asked if our quest was to find her, to which we explained that while we had once sought to find our missing companions, now we had begun to believe that the quest they had set out upon was greater than any of us, and that it was more essential to pursue that quest than any goal of a personal nature.

Then Ruathar said that he had other business to complete in Calimport, for he must recover his armor and sword. I explained to him that I had acquired his armor, but had been unable to recover the sword, though I knew who held it and told him the name of the man.

He then explained that he meant to recover his family’s sword. He would not accept our aid, which I would gladly have given despite my reluctance to defy the laws of this land. He swore that were he able he would join us in our quest. We told him that we meant to remain in the city only a few days longer and where he could find us while we remained.

He then said to me, “Your name is now entwined in my story. I offer my armor to you in thanks for the assistance you have given.”

“I would gladly return it to you,” I answered. “I would have returned your sword also had I known of its presence in time.”

“Then I ask that you give the armor to my son when you return to Evereska,” said Ruathar. I promised that I shall do so if it is in my power. I told him further that he should keep the sword I had offered him. Baran then offered him a second blade, one he has long carried which can hold spells within it. Ruathar thanked us graciously, but declined to accept any other items but for one of the enchanted rings that permit us to communicate with one another.
[sblock]
Hedrin: “Liadan checks out his wounds.”
Jubilee: “Liadan’s totally checking him out.”
[/sblock]
He then thanked us once more for our assistance and asked for our full names, which my companions told him gravely. Then we parted ways, my friends and I returning to Madu’s residence to tell him what had transpired.

Madu was no longer at his residence when we returned. He had already received notice that Ruathar had been freed. His servants politely invited us to await his return, but we did not wish to impose upon his hospitality.

Having concluded our business with Madu for the present, we returned to our lodgings. Nekaya-Re went once again to the temple of Elishar, while I accompanied Liadan to purchase the horse she had chosen.

I have sought out a charitable organization that benefits the poor quarter where we met Ruathar, and given them coin to aid in caring for those who were hurt or killed during our visit. It is the least I can do when our presence caused them so much grief and fear.

I regret that there are no temples here of the Seldarine. I feel a melancholy stealing over me and would welcome the presence of other Tel’Quessir with whom to converse. Of late Liadan and Baran have been sending their thoughts far afield to commune with their loved ones. Even should Corellon have granted me such an ability, I would have no one with whom to speak, for I have spent so much of my life in the company only of horses, and even such gods-given power could not permit me to speak with my beloved.

sniffles

First Post
A Joyous Event

As we awaited the occasion of the prayer vigil for Covenant that Liadan had arranged, my companions and I continued to discuss our future intentions. Nekaya-Re was convinced that we should attempt the use of the portal in Elishar’s temple. Erim agreed with this opinion, as did Liadan and I, but Baran was not so easily convinced. Only when he saw that the rest of our group were committed to this purpose did he give his assent.

What we would do when we emerged from the portal was less clear. Our conversations with both Madu and Osaze had led us to the conclusion that it might be unwise to approach the dragon Ssurathrax. But we were convinced that we must return to the Cloven Mountains if we were to gain any insight into Covenant’s destination when he parted from us there.

In the meanwhile, we were invited to have tea with Madu el Barake once more, for he had arranged to sell certain items we had acquired from the eye tyrant temple in the desert. Being aware that we meant to travel soon, he gave us the amount he anticipated receiving from the sale so that we might have it for our needs. He also informed us that he had heard that Ruathar was still free in the city, and that Kordal, leader of the devotees of Kord, still wished to reacquire his prize. He advised us that we should not travel alone.

When Madu had given us the coin, Erim said, "I would suggest we leave some money here for Ruathar," to which Madu replied that he would take care of Ruathar should he need any aid. But we insisted that he keep a portion of the gold so that he need not use his own funds for Mi'Lamber's asistance. We directed that should Ruathar never use the funds, we would rely on Madu's judgement to dispose of it as he would for charitable purposes.

Before we took our leave of Madu, Liadan said to him, "If we have the chance - and you have been more than gracious in granting us your time - we would hear the story of Osaze and the dragon."

Madu replied, "Would you hear the full story?" We then agreed that we would meet with him again in three days time so that he might tell us the tale at his leisure.

On our return to our lodgings, we were met by an acolyte of the temple of Lathanul, who informed us that representatives of the Sultan awaited us. Curiously, he seemed somewhat surprised that we were willing to see these visitors without hesitation.

He escorted us to the chamber where our visitors awaited us, and there we were introduced to Captain Rallam of the Sultan’s guard. He explained that he wished to question us about our visit to the City of Brass.

Initially he appeared skeptical of the veracity of our tale, but as we provided him with more details he began to show greater interest. We spent several hours with him, describing everything we had experienced there – but as always avoiding any mention of Covenant’s mission.

At the conclusion of this interview, Liadan explained to Captain Rallam that we intended to leave the city within a few days. To this he responded, “The Sultan will be most displeased should you leave the city.”

We were naturally somewhat dismayed by this, but we did not object. Liadan then asked the captain if he intended to attend the ceremony for Covenant. Rallam replied that he had known Covenant in his younger days when Liadan’s father was more often seen at the palace, and though he had not first meant to attend the ceremony he soon determined to do so when Liadan reminded him of her father’s many great deeds.

When the soldiers had gone, Erim expressed the opinion that we should take care in seeing that no one became aware of the portal within Elishar’s temple. Nekaya-Re then suggested that perhaps we should pool our funds to purchase a spell of invisibility for Erim’s use, so that he could disguise ourselves and our mounts and allow us to enter the temple unseen. Though we wished to aid the people of Calimshan against the efreet, we felt our own affairs were urgent and we did not wish to be delayed by a repetition of our interview with Captain Rallam.

As the day of the ceremony arrived, I retired to my room to meditate and prepare myself. Liadan had asked for celebrants at the ceremony to inscribe prayer scrolls with thoughts or good wishes as a part of the event. These would be burned in a brazier to send their contents heavenwards. I took some little while in composiong my message, finally settling upon May Covenant’s light continue to guide us.

At the hour before dusk I joined my friends in making our way to the temple, attired in our finest raiment. Outside the temple a great many peddlers had set up stalls to sell prayer scrolls, tokens, and books of philosophy or theology. Already the large courtyard within the ornate temple had begun to fill with those whose lives had been influenced in some way by Liadan’s father. Perhaps one person in ten had come garbed in the black of mourning, believing the ceremony to be one of memorial. Others thought that it was intended to pray for his safe return from one of the lower Planes of Hell. Still others had simply come to commemorate the life of a great man.

Many of the nobles and wealthy folk of the city had come to pay their respects. I think that Liadan had intended for us to have places very near to the dais, but we had been supplanted by dignitaries of Calimport that include two of the Sultan’s most favored wives, though the Sultan himself did not make an appearance.

When the light of dusk enveloped the city an acolyte rang a great gong, silencing the chatter of the crowd within the temple and the cries of the hawkers outside. Two rows of priests entered the courtyard. The high priest came forward and began to speak of Covenant’s devotion to Lathanul and his place as a son of the city – though I recall that Liadan told us he was born of the nomad tribes in the desert. Perhaps the priest meant that he was a son of the city in spirit if not in flesh.

The priest was followed by the chief official of Covenant House, who made many praises of Covenant’s good works and those of Covenant House. He encouraged his listeners to follow the example of Covenant and Covenant House in performing such good deeds.

This speech was followed by a prayer of thanks to Lathander for the strong and good-hearted folk who were drawn to his temples. Then the temple choir sang hymns of praise, and other speakers came forward to describe the philosophies of the church and how Covenant expressed them. One man, whose skill at public speaking was less polished than most, seemed to be defending some actions Covenant may have taken that were seen less than favorably by many but were meant to create new beginnings for others.

By this time the sky had grown much darker, though the courtyard still glowed and was surprisingly comfortable. Then Liadan was introduced as the daughter of Covenant.

Liadan stepped onto the dais. She had donned the finest clerical vestments she could acquire and wore the handsome circlet Baran crafted for her, and she fairly shone in the light of the torches ringing the courtyard.

“What I ask you here today is to raise your voices to Lathanul, raise your prayers to Lathanul,” she said. “Ask Lathanul to grant Covenant the power to fulfill his quest, and if that cannot be done then to strengthen all of us to follow in his example.” The crowd seemed moved by her words.

The priests had gathered prayer scrolls from many of the lesser guests at the ceremony, and had placed them in a huge golden brazier which stood upon the dais. A radiant aura surrounded her, filling the courtyard with the light of the sun and gleaming on the golden domes and minarets of the temple. Liadan called upon the power of Lathander, and the brazier was filled by a column of fire descending from the heavens.

My eyes were dazzled by the brilliance of the flames and Liadan’s shining aura. When my vision cleared, I realized that five figures stood upon the dais who had not been present a moment before.

I recognized that one of the figures was my beloved Erendis.
[sblock]
Devo: "They look a little beat up."
Hedrin: "I cast mass cure moderate wounds."
Devo: "Jastra looks surprised that one of the people they left to guard the horses can cast that high-level a spell."
[/sblock]
For a breath I could not see, as my eyes filled with tears of joy. I blinked them away and began to wend my way through the crowd to reach the platform. Thanks to my enchanted ring nothing impeded my advance.

I saw her gaze searching the great mass of people in the courtyard and alighting upon me. I recognized the way the tension went out of her shoulders when she saw me. I sprang onto the platform, walking directly to my wife and laying my hand on her cheek. She in turn took my free hand in hers. I had feared some deception, but that fear was allayed when I felt her familiar touch beneath my fingers.

It seemed to me then that nothing existed but we two. The fire in the brazier might have consumed all the world and I would still have stood looking into her golden eyes. I scarcely cared that my beloved smelled of sulphur; it was as finest perfume to my nostrils because it came from her. I could only faintly hear the tumult of awe and surprise from the crowd.

But that sensation was all too brief. The great gong rang again, struck by Nekaya-Re this time, and the crowd fell quiet. Baran climbed onto the platform, gazing with wonder at our newly-arrived friends, then turned to glare at the obtrusive spectators. Liadan and Covenant stepped forward to the edge of the platform to gently discourage those who would have climbed up onto the dais to be nearer to Covenant.
[sblock]
Zora: "I should get out my spool of endless rope and rope off the stage."
Jubilee: "You need a spool of endless yellow police tape."
[/sblock]
Liadan addressed the crowd. "Thank you, people. Your prayers have all been answered. He is back with us, and we must determine where we go next. A new door has been opened. A new day has dawned."

Her words reminded me of how uncertain she had been when first we met, and how much she had grown since that time.

Havin Wayfinder stood smiling with good humor all the while, and I thought that Jastra Moondown looked rather surprised by our appearance. It occurred to me then that though my wife and her friends seemed somewhat the worse for wear, they had changed little since we last saw them. We had done as much during their absence as they must have done in all their years of adventuring together. I would have much to share with Erendis when we had the time for such discussion.

Covenant himself then spoke to the audience. "Blessings of Lathanul on all of you, good people. Be good in all of your deeds, remain strong in your will, and give thanks for all that you are and all that you have." He then stepped back and moved toward the exit from the dais.

Still clasping my beloved’s hand in mine, I followed my friends as we departed to seek a more private space in which to enjoy our joyous reunion. Garrett had vanished, and Erim now made his way up to join us. He will have much to tell Sandrue when he has the opportunity to write in his enchanted book.
[sblock]
Devo: "Do Telemnar and Erendis go with everyone else?"
sniffles: "Yes, but we're still holding hands."
Jubilee: "Get a room, guys! Or at least take the ring of communication off first!"
[/sblock]
As we vacated the temple courtyard, all of us enjoying the uplifting sensation that Covenant's presence imparts to those who are in his company, I overheard Liadan asking her father, “Where have you been? What happened?”

He looked at her, winked, and said cheerfully, “We died."

sniffles

First Post
Life After Death

After my experience with Sir Tyrion's living sword, Covenant's remark did not take me by surprise. But of course I was as eager as my friends to learn how my wife and her traveling companions had returned to life.

When we had been escorted to a private chamber in the temple and been joined once again by Garrett, Covenant said, "It does not seem that long since we saw you last", to which Liadan answered quickly, "Yes it does."

Havin Wayfinder asked, "Where are Phaele and Sandrue? Are they well?" Liadan and Nekaya-Re explained the departures of our two friends, and Baran then remarked, "Much has happened in the world since you left us." Covenant then observed that he could see we had traveled a great deal since he saw us last. Even as absorbed as I was in my joyful reunion with my wife, I could not restrain my laughter at that comment, nor could any of my friends.
[sblock]
Devo: "Those of you who have a sense of humor laugh at that." (looks at Jubilee)
Jubilee: "Nekaya has a sense of humor!"
sniffles: "It's right next to her sense of evil."
[/sblock]
Seeing our amusement, Covenant said, "Who would like to begin the storytelling, then?", to which Liadan quickly responded, "You do."

My wife and I settled on cushions on the floor so that we could sit nearer to one another. I think that I could be comfortable unprotected on the Plane of Fire were I only able to grasp her hand in both of mine as I did at that moment.

"I think that we made the right decision in asking you to remain," Covenant told us, "for things were more difficult than we expected. But perhaps I should begin with who Ssurathrax really is."

"He was once a lord of the Abyss," Nekaya-Re interjected. "Madu has explained some of his story to us," she added. "We've seen Osaze as well."

"How is Osaze?" Covenant asked. "I need to see him." To this it was explained that Osaze was presently in the City of Brass, which roused concern in Covenant, for as he said, "Osaze seems fated to be in the right place at the right time."

"Why did you need to see Osaze?" asked Liadan, to which her father answered that his journal was missing and he had come to retrieve the copy from Osaze. Liadan then presented him with the copy she had removed from Osaze's room at Madu's residence. This elicited some surprise from Covenant. "You have met Osaze?" he asked.

"That is why we came to Calimport," Nekaya-Re explained. "We sought to retrace your steps."
It was then explained to Covenant and his companions that we had only just returned from the desert after visiting Osaze in the City of Brass.

"You went to the City of Brass?" Covenant exclaimed incredulously. "That's part of our story. Let us hear yours," Liadan quickly retorted. "I am more interested in your story," Covenant replied, eliciting more laughter from all of our company.

Covenant then resumed his tale. Their party had sought Ssurathrax to acquire the Gauntlet of Dawn, which Jastra's research had indicated lay in the dragon's hoard. As they entered his lair, they found signs that other beings had made incursions into his territory. It appeared that various forces had been attempting entry there over a long period of time. Covenant mentioned certain objects left by the dragon to warn away intruders. Though he did not elaborate in detail what he meant by warnings, I sensed that they were items too gruesome to describe.

"I made the mistake of trusting to his nature that he would want to speak with us and ignored the warnings," Covenant continued. The dragon's lair was filled with traps, and being partially bound to Ssurathrax's former home in the Abyss, it was also filled with other things most unpleasant and dangerous. Our friends' features reflected a little of the horrors they had faced there as he spoke, and Erendis's grasp on my hands grew tighter.

They had failed to have any kind of reasonable discourse with the dragon, and Ssurathrax had made good on his promise to slay any foolish enough to intrude on his privacy. The battle had been a long and difficult one, though Covenant once more did not go into detail other than to say that it was he who had been the last to fall. My wife had wisely prepared a blessing of Corellon Larethian that would revive at least a portion of their number should the meet their demise. But they had not anticipated that among the dragon's acquisitions was an object capable of ensnaring souls. Covenant described it as a tall black spire of twisted stone, filled with a vast number of disembodied souls.

When they fell, their own souls were captured within this object. But only a day and a half prior to our reunion, Covenant had suddenly found himself back among the living. Ssurathrax was dead. Though they could not fully determine what had slain the dragon, evidence in his lair showed that the wizard Gadron may have been involved. They had found the remnants of Gadron's broken staff, and Covenant had realized that the glowstone they had intended to exchange for the Gauntlet was missing, as was his journal.

"What of the Gauntlet?" asked Nekaya-Re. Covenant then displayed a pendant he wore upon a chain, a crude amulet of a fist grasping a yellow stone. We had already come to suspect that the Gauntlet was not in fact an actual gauntlet, but the simplicity of this device took me somewhat by surprise.

Havin also displayed for us the remains of Gadron's staff, which we all recognized from its distinctive design. It appeared that Gadron had challenged Ssurathrax, perhaps seeking to recover the glowstone which he had been so reluctant to give up. There were also indications that Gadron may have brought a force of trolls to aid him. Covenant theorized that Gadron might have immediately followed them into the dragon's lair after their initial departure from us.

"No," replied Liadan, "because he was there at Camber during the winter and still had his staff in his possession."

Covenant absorbed this information and continued his tale. It seemed that Gadron may not have slain the dragon, but might have damaged him badly enough that the trolls could then complete the deed. Gadron then may have returned to the lair seeking the glowstone.

Garrett then interjected that he was still convinced that Gadron had visited the lair quite recently, and Havin concurred with him. Covenant, however, was unwilling to think ill of someone he considered a friend. Nekaya-Re could not refrain from expressing some of her distaste for the wizard, but did not elaborate on our experiences with him at that point in the exchange.

Having completed his description of what had befallen their group, Covenant paused, and Nekaya-Re gave him a brief explanation of what we had learned of the Gauntlet of Dawn in our researches. "But perhaps we should tell our story in the order in which it occurred," she added.

Liadan and Nekaya-Re then launched into the story of our adventures, occasionally aided by the rest of our company. "We start our story with a scream in the night, and that was Califax," Liadan began.

She told them of Califax's reaction to their deaths, and of how he had survived to lead us to Gadron. She explained how we had wintered in Camber, and of the orcish invasion and Micah's mysterious blue gauntlet that we had first taken for a possible Gauntlet of Dawn. Our mood grew somber as she spoke of that town that had been our home for so many months and we all remembered the terrible destruction we had witnessed.

Jastra was quite interested in mention of Micah's gauntlet and described it to us in detail. When I confirmed that it indeed fit the description she gave, she suddenly produced its mate from her bag and told us it had come from Ssurathrax's hoard! Naturally we were startled to see it in her possession. "There is a long story behind this, but I'm sure you're not interested," she said. "We are, but perhaps now is not the time," I replied.

The recounting of our adventures continued, though it was not possible to do so precisely in the sequence in which the events occurred, for the story was frequently interrupted by questions or recollections of additional details. Our newly returned companions were greatly interested in many of the incidents we described. In particular, Havin showed concern when we told of the terrible destruction of Camber. When we mentioned that we had met an elder of Halruua there, he asked, "Which one?" "Furnael," I answered sourly. Havin was familiar with the man, at least by reputation. When Nekaya-Re went on to explain that Furnael and his confederates had been responsible for the massacre in Camber, Havin was both amazed and deeply saddened.

Havin was also taken aback when our storytellers went on to explain how we had come to visit the solar barque of Re-Horakhty. He was unaware of the presence of the fiery sphere in his tower; his laboratory had contained only the crown of a long-dead pharaoh of Mulhorand, which he had been examining. This pharaoh, it transpired, had been an ancestor of Anukhileal, the pharaoh whose priests had sent us to the solar barque. I suspect that it was Nekaya-Re’s presence that somehow triggered this crown to create the fiery sphere.
[sblock]
J: "As I recall Havin’s tower opened to Nekaya."
Dan: "That's because Nekaya thinks the whole world revolves around her."
[/sblock]
Our brief sojourn in the divine realm of the sun was impressive to my wife’s company. Sadly Liadan had then to tell her father of Califax’s demise, but he did not appear to find this news shocking, for he had expected his steed to have fallen at the time of his own demise in the dragon’s lair.

Our arrival on the temple spire was a source of amusement for everyone; it is customary for those who can transport themselves by magic to use familiar temples as a destination, just as Jastra had done, but the top of a temple spire is not a typical location for such arrivals.

It was then explained how we had gone into the desert seeking Osaze because we desired access to the copy of Covenant’s journal. We described what we had observed there, including how the caliph had shown off his military preparations and appeared to have no concern that we would report such activities to others.

We were able to convince Covenant that it seemed to us likely that the efreet army would come soon unless the caliph should be persuaded to take his army to the Plane of Fire instead. Osaze’s presence there also led Covenant to think the attack imminent; for as he had remarked earlier, Osaze seems able to be in the right place at the right time.
[sblock]
patv: "Our next stop was Ssurathrax."
Hedrin: "So you saved us a trip."
Devo: "Glad to be of service."
------------------------
sniffles: "We needed Osaze to open the compartment, so we decided to go to the City of Brass and see Osaze."
Zora: "Yeah, we decided it wasn't hot enough in Calimport, so we had to go into the heart of the desert to a city full of fire creatures."
[/sblock]
Covenant, being a native of Calimshan, was naturally concerned that his homeland was threatened, and was interested in our description of the object that could reportedly release thousands of devils and consume the City of Brass. But he showed greater concern when told of the affairs of the rest of the world as Liadan and Baran had learned of them through their sendings.

It seems likely that the Shadows that have appeared to plague many parts of the world are the great evil Covenant sought to defeat by acquiring the Gauntlet and Sword. Erendis’s grasp on my hand tightened when I described how these Shadows had emerged from the wastes of Anauroch to endanger the Hidden Hills. She listened with consternation when I told her of Ruathar’s mission to seek her and of how he had been captured and enslaved in Calimport. She knew that the need must be very great for him to have left our homeland. Baran then spoke up and informed us that Ruathar was on his way to the temple.

But my beloved realized as I did that, however much we desired to return to Evereska and defend it against the Shadows, our path lay still beside Covenant.

In the course of our long discussion, we had reflected on the Sword and how we had come to believe that it might not be an actual sword at all, based upon the tale Osaze had told us. Covenant was not entirely convinced, for the mention of it as the “dread not-sword” had come only once, whereas it was referred to in many places as the Sword of the Dreadnaught.

He was aware that the Gauntlet could be charged with the energy of the sun, though even he and Nekaya-Re combined could not generate a sufficient quantity of such energy to refill the vast reservoir the tiny amulet contained. But he suggested that perhaps the enchanted glowstone Gadron had taken might hold enough of such energy. Therefore, it was his proposal that we should next seek out Gadron’s stronghold and make contact with the wizard to learn what he knew.

Nekaya-Re explained to him our need to depart the city unseen, so as not to rouse the Sultan’s ire. She and Erim then described what they had learned of the workings of the portal within Elishar’s temple. Using said portal, we should be able to return to the Cloven Mountains. But if they are correct, we cannot do so until dusk. Jastra, who has made a study of such devices, has confirmed the accuracy of their conjectures.

Our conversation continued all through the hours of the night and contained far more information than I have detailed here. When at last we retired to our lodgings, dawn had arrived.

At some point after my wife and I repaired to my room at the inn, Ruathar arrived at the temple. When we appeared in the common room the next day, he greeted us. It is touching to see his affection for Erendis – I might almost describe it as worshipful. He has appointed himself her protector and is determined to see that she is able to return there as soon as possible when we have completed our quest for the sword. But he has yet to recover his own ancestral blade. He continues to decline aid from those not of the Tel’Quessir. With aid from Corellon provided by my wife, he intends to complete that task before we depart.
[sblock]
Jubilee: “I don’t know if he’d accept half-elven help, but I wouldn’t help him steal a sword anyway.”
Devo: “It’s not stealing it – it’s killing people and looting it.”
Jubilee: “Oh, well, in that case…”
------------------
Sniffles: “They did a good job of inserting that stick when Nekaya went to paladin school.”
Jubilee: “She didn’t finish paladin school.”
Zora: “So you have an unfinished stick?”
Sniffles: “But they didn’t let her leave until she had her stick inserted.”
Jubilee: “That’s the first thing they do when you start paladin school!”
--------------------
Zora announces something that Rock says into his ring of communication for Ruathar’s benefit.
Jubilee: “Rock’s been announcing what he’s doing out loud a lot lately.”
Zora: “I’m taking a whiz now.”
Devo: “I hope nobody’s sneaking up on me, because I’m taking a whiz.”
Zora; “There’s no rules for that, so I don’t know how long it will take.”
Patv: “I think it’s a move action.”
Zora: “Sometimes a swift.”
Patv: “Sometimes there’s an immediate need…”
sniffles: “Depends on if you’re a man or a woman. If you’re a woman it’s a standard action.”
Patv: “But you have to take a move action to get through the line to get to the bathroom.”
Devo: “Isn’t it more of a sitting action than a move action?”
Hedrin: “But does it provoke an attack of opportunity when you stand up?”
Jubilee: “That’s why we go in those stalls.”
Hedrin: “And you take other women with you.”
Patv: “You may gossip as a free action, but you have to do makeup as a standard action.”
Zora: “No, that’s a full round action. Sometimes a minute per level.”
[/sblock]
Baran and Nekaya-Re have arranged to take our mounts to the temple of Elishar a few at a time during the night, so that we may make our way there unnoticed. It is unfortunate that we no longer have the mounts of our returned companions in our possession, but Jastra’s magic can also provide them with transportation after we arrive in Sespech.

I look forward to continuing our adventures now in the company of my beloved wife. Corellon has blessed me more than I can ever show sufficient gratitude for by returning her to me. I hereby dedicate my life to protecting her and the service she does in his name.

Remove ads