Shouldn't demons have See in Darkness?

Malin Genie

First Post
The entry for devils in the MM lists "See in Darkness" as a special ability, allowing devils to see in even supernatural darkness.

This is not listed under demon (tanar'ri) qualities. However, the "Combat" text suggests 'many demons can create darkness, and a group of demons frequently blankets the enemy with darkness before joining battle.'

Of the demon subtypes, only the Hezrou has the Blind-fight Feat, and none of them list blindsight, tremorsense, or even scent. Certainly as outsiders they get 60ft darkvision by default, but why would they 'blanket the area in darkness before joining battle' if they can't fight effectively in it?

And if they don't have it but the baatezu do, wouldn't that make the the Blood War a fairly uneven prospect :) ?

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
I think a couple have true seeing either at will or as an ability always on, this penetrates all magical darkness, but other than that, I don't know. Maybe they blanket the area in darkness and throw area of effect spells into it.

<shrugs>

Gromm

First Post
Its always been a point of contention.
Devils can see in darkness, yet they can't create it.
Demons can create darkness, but can't see in it (save the really powerful ones). Yet Demon tactics involve casting darkness and then attacking. Only it cripples them as much as any enemy.
Everyone thought it was a misprint of some sort, but then another book came out and had the same thing (Monsters of Faerun IRC).
Personally I always thought it should be the other way around.

kreynolds

First Post
Gromm said:
Its always been a point of contention.
Devils can see in darkness, yet they can't create it.
Demons can create darkness, but can't see in it (save the really powerful ones). Yet Demon tactics involve casting darkness and then attacking. Only it cripples them as much as any enemy.
Everyone thought it was a misprint of some sort, but then another book came out and had the same thing (Monsters of Faerun IRC).
Personally I always thought it should be the other way around.

Other way around? Like this?...

Demons can see in darkness, yet they can't create it.
Devils can create darkness, but can't see in it (save the really powerful ones).

How does that fix anything? ;)

Gromm

First Post
kreynolds said:

Other way around? Like this?...

Demons can see in darkness, yet they can't create it.
Devils can create darkness, but can't see in it (save the really powerful ones).

How does that fix anything? ;)

LOL.
Ok let me rephrase.
Both abilities should be on one type or the other, they shouldn't be split the way they are.

The funny thing is I thought the same thing after I typed it, but figured noone else would see it that way.

Remove ads