• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Song of Swords

Cruxador

First Post
Song of Swords is a game in the tradition of Riddle of Steel, meaning it's based on real life combat including HEMA stuff, and honestly the swordplay is the best of any game I know about, by a wide margin. You target specific locations using specific locations, either commit or hold back dice in order both attack and defend effectively and win without getting yourself killed. There's offensive and defensive maneuvers and all kinds of fun stuff, an

Anyway, it's got a kickstarter and has already blown through a bunch of stretch goals so I figured it was a good time to talk about it.

Note, I'm not a dev or even an official playtester, but I've been keeping tabs on it since I first heard about it three or four years ago. I can probably answer some questions but I'm not definitive.

thefrickinpope

First Post
Don't mind me, just posting a mongoose.

young Gizka.jpg

Salamandyr

Adventurer
This sounds pursuant to my interests, but the time/technology period appears more 30 Years War than Conan the Barbarian.

How difficult would this be to strip out all the early modern stuff and take it back to a time of savagery and sorcery?

Otherwise, gratz and thank you for having lots of dudes in your art.

thefrickinpope

First Post
How easy is it? Just pick whatever equipment you want to allow/disallow and go.

The one setback would be that it's fairly hard to stay unarmored and alive, so if your players want to go the naked barbarian route they will have to be extra careful. But a sharkskin greatcoat or suit of leather lamellar are decent enough armors.

Also, neither of us are the devs, just fans and occasional playtesters.

Remove ads