D&D 5E Sorcerer Twinned spell question

Croejar64

First Post
I have a question regarding the sorcerer metamagic feature twinned spell. As read it says "when you cast a spell that targets only one creature and doesn't have a range of self.....you can target a second creature in range with the same spell."

Here was the situation and spell. The sorcerer in my group wanted to twin her scorching ray spell. This spell shoots 3 rays that can hit multiple creatures or the same one with all 3 rays. She wanted to twin it and hit multiple creatures, i.e. shoot 6 rays at 6 different targets. Her argument was the spell could "hit one creature" if she wanted to so it did met the terms of twinning a spell, i.e."cast a spell that targets only one creature". I said she could use it on the spell but she would have to hit one creature with all 3 rays of the first spell and a 2nd creature will all 3 rays of the second "twinned" version. I can see her point though in that the spell can be cast at one creature or multiple and is not a traditional area of effect spell which I think the rules as written are designed to keep from being twinned. I could see this issue with the magic missle spell as well, where it states you can hit a creature with all the missles or hit multiple creatures with one missle each. Are spells like these able to be twinned by sorcerers if they use the full affect on one creature only or can they still spread it around? What do you guys think. I ended up letting her spread it around especially since she has to make an attack roll for each ray anyway so it ended up not being to over powering. She missed 3 of the rolls lol.

BoldItalic

First Post
This is covered in the PHB Errata.

"To be eligible for Twinned Spell, a spell must be incapable of targeting more than one creature at the spell's current level."

So, no, you can't twin Magic Missile or Scorching Ray.

But you're the DM, so your call is automatically right :)

Last edited:

PnPgamer

Explorer
sidenote:
You can twin a charm person cast using 1st level slot, but not when using 2nd or above!
there are other spells that works in similar way.

Dausuul

Legend
Ah the errata I totally forgot to check there. I will have to let her know.....gently :)

Thanks!
You don't have to, you know. You made a ruling, and it was a perfectly reasonable ruling based on what's in the book. As long as it's not causing problems in your game, why not just let the PC have her twinned Scorching Ray?

Last edited:

Remove ads