Spacemaster Space Opera : Running the gauntlet (updated 10/28/05)

N' Scur rah

First Post
A question to the readers

Hello, I am Chrarons player.

Although I like the traditional ways of the Tulgar and their paladin-like honour, meanwhile I am a little bit unsure of how far I can stress that point when playing my character, without lessening the other players fun.

Basically I don't want to interfere with the other players plans, but then sometimes they come up with ideas I feel Chraron has to intervene.

Should I interfere when the others e.g. are setting up an ambush, like in the latest chapter?

Does anyone have any advice for me in the regard of playing a honourable character and still not reducing anyones fun?

N'Scur

Last edited:

Dougal DeKree

First Post
06 - Harm set, harm get.

“Let me introduce us, Chraron. These are Rico, our pilot and Dodger, our weapons expert. I am Boris, a diplomat of our company.”

“An armed diplomat? You are used to heated arguments then, I presume?”

“I can care for my own in a conflict, but heating things is really Martha’s field of expertise…” Boris replied with a glance at the heavy flamer they had left back at the shuttle.

“Oh, and that picture of misery is Frank, a scientist. He is crying since we saw your ship – he believes that the universe is out to kill him. Which brings me back to topic number one. I think that the survivors of the crash will come here to take control of the shuttle.”

“Oh yes, and there will be survivors. You stained their honour and that is something they will never forgive. It’s them or us now.”

Boris nodded in agreement, relieved that his instincts seemed to work, too, when it came to aliens. On the other hand every new race they had met yet was not too different from his own. But that was something he could ponder about later. First of all, they had to prepare.

“I say we set up a trap for them. They’ll come from the side and try to surprise us…”

“No.” the Tulgar interrupted. “When their anger is burning, they won’t go about this logically. They will come here directly.”

“Boss, she’s the expert, so let’s prepare for a direct assault. It’ll make things easier.” Martha spoke out on that.

“Very well, you two are my fighting experts. We’ll dig in grenades in their direction, one every ten meters. Everyone keeps two grenades for emergencies. Then we’ll improvise some cover and then we wait for someo… thing to appear. Frank, you are on watch, so that we won’t be taken by surprise. Everyone got that? Go!”

They worked frantically for the next couple of minutes, digging holes, camouflaging grenades and building makeshift cover.

---

“Freeze!” M’rrol roared.

His plan had worked perfectly. He had known that choosing patience over instinct would be the key for success here.

He had split his team into three groups of 3 Falar each, and ordered them to sneak to a designated position to wait for his signal. His team was on the starboard of the shuttle, the second team had crept near from portside and the third had snuck up from the rear. All were armed with assault blasters and wore combat armour.

“You have vanquished Prrrl’Mur. Impressive, for monkeys. Thank you for doing my work for me. Now, lay down your weapons and…”

A large detonation ripped the next words from his maw. One of the buried grenades had exploded as a Falaris of the second team had left his position in anticipation of their victory and stepped on it. When his torso fell to the ground, twitching, the dying soldier pulled the trigger of his blaster.

Chaos ensued.

Two humans dove for cover, one fiddled about with a grenade and one turned in his direction and opened fire with a machine gun. At the same time the Tulgar – M’rrol couldn’t remember the name, but it certainly would include honour at some spot – turned towards the team at the shuttles rear and charged with her sword held high.

His troops, however, were experienced soldiers and lost no time to return fire. Some of their shots managed to hit the humans despite of their cover, and the one wielding the machine gun was hit twice.

Still they were standing and fought back. The Tulgar had already disarmed two opponents, literally, the second team was covered with suppressive fire and his new security officer lay dying in front of him for all the exoskeleton combat armor he wore. Obviously this machine gun was loaded with HEAP* ammunition.

“Enough is enough!” the imperial captain thought as he lost his temper.

“FOR THE JERONAN EMPIRE! CHARGE!”

Another explosion cracked in his ears, accompanied by a huge ball of flame near the shuttle. That stupid human had dropped the primed grenade at his feat, close to the flamer – the result tasted like BBQ with napalm. Well, he wouldn’t pass on his genes, for sure. M’rrol couldn’t help but be amused by this display of inferiority.

---

Lt. Rico felt the immense heat at his back. When he turned around, he saw the charred corpse of Frank fall to the ground, immolated in the flaming liquid Martha’s flamethrower used.

“Frank is dead! Wait what’s that…” he saw something small and white speed into the shuttle, but before getting a closer look, a blaster shot tore apart his left shoulder. “Medic!”

“We have no medics, Rico, keep shooting!” Dodger replied as she felled another opponent with a burst from her gun. “Look at that charging cat, it’s huge! Must be the lea…”

The captains blaster shot perforated her right lung and Dodger fell, unconscious and bleeding.

For Boris time seemed to slow down. His team members out of action and a huge charging lion he needed to decide fast on what to do. “Chraron! Behind you!” with that, he turned and threw his last grenade towards the attackers coming from port.

---

Chraron heard the shout and finished her duty. Three cats unconscious, three weapon arms severed. These would pose no more problems. She turned and saw the captain slow down 30m away from her. He grinned and raised his assault blaster. She could see right into the guns barrel. “He’s too far away” she thought.

---

The pain! It felt like some red-hot crowbar plunged into her chest. Martha could see the ground fall towards her and then - she was standing upright, an assault blaster in her…claws(?!) and could see the captains back. Also she could see herself lying on the ground, her blood flowing freely.

“What the f***?! Ah, if this is my last dream I must savor it!” Martha Dodger said aloud, aimed at the lionmans exposed back and pulled the trigger. The weapons switch was set to “automatic fire”. He had no chance.

---

Rico grew weaker with every second due to blood loss. When he heard Dodger uttered something that sounded like “meow” he blamed his blood loss. Then he could see two feet – obviously not human. When he looked up he could see a grinning tigers head. The Falaron aimed at his head and...suddenly Rico was sitting behind the shuttles flight controls, throttle in his…claw? A glance in the mirror above him showed the Falaris pilot that had brought them down, but he knew that was him now.

Whatever had happened, Rico was quick at adjusting to new situations. He checked the sensors, floored the throttle and let the shuttle leap forward. In the process one Falar standing near the shuttles exhausts was turned to ashes before Rico squashed the cat (that had just shot him) with the shuttles landing gear.

---

“So you say you are Martha?”

“Yes” answered the lynx stock Falaron in perfect Terran. “But please call me Dodger, Martha is lying over there, dead. I always knew I would die when my flamer explodes!” Dodgers new grin was even more unnerving than her old one. Those fangs!

“And you are Rico?” Boris looked at the small Falaris pilot.

“Yessir. I don’t know what happened, but I think it’s cool – my reflexes are far better than before! Plus I now know how to speak Falar!”

Boris sighed and turned towards the Oort. “Then you are Frank, I guess?”

“Hairless monkey! Why should I call myself Frank? You talk as stupid as your species usually is!” the translator told Boris.

“Hmm, well, I’m ok with that. So we only have one loss and defeated all survivors of that ship. A good result I’d say! Well done, team! Let’s fly to the wreck.”

“After arming yourselves and collecting the trophies of this skirmish, of course?” Chraron asked. “You wouldn’t leave military equipment behind, would you?”

Boris shook his head. “Of course not! Let’s get to work then. Oh, is looting okay for your codex, Chraron?”

“Since we defeated them in battle, their equipment is now rightfully in our possession. Apart from that I will not use Falar equipment, but I don’t mind if you do.”

“Please tell us, if there is anything you would like to have. We are in your debt!” Boris bowed towards the Tulgar and began collecting everything of interest.

After retrieving the remaining grenades and looting the fallen they buried the three human corpses and left for the site where the Rapid Claw had crashed.

---

* HEAP = High Explosive Armor Piercing

Dougal DeKree

First Post
07 – To set the ball rolling

When the group arrived at the site of the crash, their morale sank. The Rapid Claw was obviously beyond repair and would be of no use for leaving the planet. Parts that had been ripped off by the force of the impact lay scattered in a radius for up to two miles around the wreck.

As soon as they had landed and left the shuttle, they noticed that the place also began to reek of death. Several corpses and torn off body parts could be seen lying around in the debris. When they searched the wreckage, they found some tracks leading away for about 200m. At the tracks end they found another crash victim. A bear-like humanoid had obviously survived the crash, crawled away and died later due to severe internal injuries.

“This is a Kagoth.” Chraron informed them “He was the doctor of the Rapid Claw. Despite their immense physical size the Kagoth are extremely pacifistic, without exceptions. She had great honour for serving on a military vessel only to care for the wounded. I will bury her.”

After rummaging the site Boris made an inventory of the usable things they had found. Several personal weapons, ammunition, grenades, digging charges, energy cells, suits of personal armour, food that would last them for several weeks, survival kits and tons of trivia. And they had found the wreck of their own jump ship. The drive seemed to be beyond repair however.

When he was done, Rico motioned him to come into the shuttle.

“What’s up, Rico? You could have used your headset, you know?”

“No, I don’t think so. Before I…switched bodies, I think I saw something white speed inside the shuttle. Now I took some time to search it and I think I found something.”

“Well?” Boris grew impatient. A mad pilot that now started hallucinating. Wonderful.

Rico led Boris towards the large block of metal, Chraron had brought aboard the shuttle before they had left the Rapid Claw. But now there was an opening at one side of the cube.

“Don’t touch it!” Boris whispered. “Chraron? Please join us in the shuttle! Boris over.” “Acknowledged”

A minute later the three were inspecting the artefact.

“Any idea what happened and why?” Boris asked. “What is this thing good for anyway?”

“I don’t know” the Tulgar woman admitted. “I only had the duty to protect it. Let’s see what’s inside.” She went to her knees to reach inside.

Suddenly she could hear panting from the inside, like from some small animal. She made a noise she hoped to be soothing and looked inside.

About 20cm away from her face sat a small white dog, wearing a blue shirt, smiling broadly. * (I included a picture of him at the end of this post)

Wagging his tail he stood up, walked towards her and licked her cheek.

Chraron stood up again, carrying their new acquaintance on her arms. A large “1” was printed on the back of his shirt.

“Looks to be friendly. Where did he come from?” The dog raised his right paw, pointing towards the sky.
“Oh! You understand us?” The dog nodded.
“Did you help us?” The dog nodded again.
“How?” The dog pointed at the artefact.
“Can you help us get away from this planet?” Rico threw in jokingly.

The dog turned to look at him, nodded slowly, jumped from Chrarons arm and sped inside the cube. A moment later he reappeared and the block of metal changed. It seemed to melt, forming a silvery puddle on the shuttles floor. Then the floor dissolved.

“Everyone out! And take our “friend” with us!” Boris shouted as he fled from the shuttle. When Dodger arrived about two minutes later, the shuttle was half gone and parts of the silvery puddle were flowing uphill, towards the wreckage.

“What the heck is going on here? I leave you alone for some minutes and you destroy our shuttle?!” she yelled at Rico.

“Actually that dog did it!”

“Ha! Hiding behind some small animal, that’s typical for you!”

“I would say we all calm down and wait to see what happens. How about some lunch?” Chraron interfered. “By the way, his name is “Wusel”.”

“Wusel, eh? How do you know that?”

The Tulgar just shrugged.

“Well, I think Chraron is right. It seems to be getting dark and we all need some sleep. We’ll have one watch, two hours each. Maybe tomorrow things look different.” Boris agreed. They put up some tents and soon snoring could be heard.

---

The next dawn came and with it a small miracle. The debris was gone, as were the corpses. But nobody really cared for these facts, they were all focusing on something else. In the middle of a plain part of earth stood the lower third of some kind of star ship. And it was getting more complete with every minute.

“By the emperors a**. That must be frickin’ nano-technology! It’s only known as an insane theory!!!” The Oort exclaimed. Dodger had to lift him up to stop him from entering the silvery puddle that was swashing around inside the partial ship.

Boris turned back towards Wusel and gave him a close look. The small dog was all grins.

“Very well, good that I suppressed my first urge to shoot you, when our shuttle dissolved.” He mumbled.

Wusel tried to hide between Chrarons arms, whining.

“Leave him alone!” Rico stepped between. “I can’t wait to see what I get to fly here! Thank you, number 1!”

“I think this dog is suspicious!” Dodger growled. “He is running around the whole time and he is still white. Look at his paws! That’s too strange for me. I say we lock him up in some crate.”

“When he has technology that builds star ships from scrap metal, he can also have something that cleans him constantly.” Rico reasoned.

---

At dusk the ship was complete. Most parts were identical to those of the Rapid Claw, but some others were unknown to the Oort scientist. Aside from that it had everything a star ship needed and even had the guns of the imperial ship. Very peculiar was the fact, that also the jump-drive of their old ship was installed, but in an appropriate size.

But again no member of the group cared. They only wanted to leave as soon as possible, just in case some other imperial ship could drop by and discover what was going on here. So they hurried to stow away their salvage.

“We are ready for take-off.” Rico told the others, when everything was done and started the engines. Without any problems they took off and left the atmosphere.

As they were flying away from the planet, Rico took some time to inspect the ships systems more thoroughly.
He had taken a liking to the small dog and had him sitting on his lap while toying around with the touch screen in front of him.

“Hey, look here, we have a starmap on that screen and some green and yellow lines between star systems! And four are highlighted, two green ones and two yellow ones.”

Chraron, who had some experience in flying star fighters, took a look at the map.

“The green lines are obviously jump-gate connections between star systems. I know some of these routes, the highlighted green lines go through the jump gates of this system. Both lead into imperial space. I don’t know what the yellow lines are, though.”

“Ok, we can find that out later. Any idea where we should go?” Boris asked.

Wusel turned his head and nodded towards Boris.

“Ah, our saviour speaks” Dodger suspected. “You can’t let that dog do everything that it wants! None of us knows what it is up to!”

“Well, so far he has gotten us away from that planet. So, what do you propose, Nr.1?”

Wusel touched one of highlighted yellow lines. The ship began to alter it’s course and a mere second later they had entered hyperspace.

Boris had been caught off guard. “If I ask you something, dog, that is no free license to do anything. I wanted to know what you wanted to do, and not that you do what you did!”

The dog looked at him and Boris could have sworn he heard it chuckle. Of course dogs can't chuckle.

“Seriously, dude, where are we going?” Rico asked Wusel.

Some paw pads later the screen showed an asteroid field, highlighting one of the bigger ones.

“Ah, that’s his home!” Rico exclaimed.

“How do you know that?” Boris inquired, but Rico just shrugged.

“Ok, can’t do anything about it now. We will use the time until we get there to become familiar with the ships controls and functions.”

---

Twenty hours later their ship dropped out of hyperspace, exactly five minutes after a humming sound had awakened all those who were using the time to catch some sleep. They could see an asteroid field that looked nearly like it had on the screen. Only that there was another spaceship at the outer rim of it.

“I am scanning a second ship inside the field. It masses about 600 tons, the one we can see weighs a little more than 1000 tons. Both are armed. They look like pirate ships to me.” Chraron informed the others. “Space is beautiful. Oh, I really love this big screen! Middle sized imperial ships don’t have those, they fly solely by their sensors.”

“Really? Why is that?” Rico inquired.

“It’s considered unnecessary luxury.”

“Ok, anyways, I will now call them to see what they are doing here. Can you open a channel, Rico?”

“Right away, Sir.”

“Hello, my name is Boris! Can you tell us, where we are?”

After a short static noise a cold voice told them “Nice trick, imperial scum, but we won’t fall for that. Prepare to die!”.

The bigger of the two ships turned towards them and the smaller one made it’s way out of the asteroid field.

“No, really, we are not imperials! We only want to talk!” Boris tried again.

“Hah! Sure thing! Do you think we are idiots? Your ship is equipped with blaster cannons – the like used by imperial gunboats. Thus you are imperials.”

“Listen, if you give us time, we can explain how we got to these weapons. We really don’t want to fight!”

“Ah, let me guess, you only want to dock with us so we can talk?”

“That’s a good idea! Exactly! Talk, that’s what we want!”

“Mhmm and as soon as we open the airlock your boarding crew will storm my ship. No, thank you, I prefer to kill you and take your stuff or what’s left of it! Or you could surrender…”

Boris took a deep breath and turned towards Rico, switching off the radio.

“Can you shoot their engines without destroying their ship?”

Rico shrugged. “I don’t know these weapons, but I can try.”

“If we aim properly, they should survive” Chraron mentioned as she sat down at a gunnery console. “But we should do it right the first time. You know, space fights with ships like these don’t take long, usually.”

“My screen indicates they are entering our fire range in 3 seconds. Permission to fire?”

“Granted.” Boris acknowledged.

Rico, Martha and Chraron opened fire simultaneously. Rico’s shot destroyed the ships forward manoeuvring thrusters, Martha vaporized the other ships gun turret and Chraron hit a vital spot – the energy distributor. Thus the other ship drifted on, weaponless and running only on emergency power.

(The group really was astonished by their success, disabling the other ship in the first round completely. They first cheered but then someone asked, what might have happened if they had not won the initiative roll. I only grinned and they discussed about how to avoid future space fights. Hehe.)

They were hailed.

Boris motioned Rico to accept the call.

“Damn you, imperials! We will not become your slaves! When you try to board us we will self destruct!”

“As I told you before, we are not imperials and we have no notion of boarding you…” Boris tried again.

“Lies! Only imperials shoot that precisely!”

Boris cut the transmission again. “These guys really are morons. Call the other ship, Rico.”

“Listen, maybe you are not as stupid as the other captain, we are not imperials and we do not want to fight or board anyone.”

“Yeah, whatever. Mind if we just take the others into tow and leave?” a female voice answered.

“Permission granted. Just tell me one thing - what were you doing here?”

“Oh, we had a look at the roids, but they are no good for mining. Thank you for letting us go – if you ever come to the station in the Fortress-system and need something, contact Klaus in the Marina-Bar, he can help you find us, Boris. Bye!”

Some minutes later the small ship had dragged the damaged vessel out of close sensor range and another thirty minutes later, the energy system obviously had been repaired, both were accelerating away from them.

“Mark their course, Rico. Now, I say we wait until they leave our sensor range and then we look for that “home” of yours, Number 1.”

Wusel nodded and smiled broadly.

---

Attachments

• Wusel.jpg
    Wusel.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 51

Remove ads