Spell creation

Ramiella

First Post
The OLD magic system is rather complex and I wanted to confirm that these meet the base rules for spell creation.

Cure Affliction (6MP)
30' range (targeted)
Cures blindness
Cures deafness
Cure fatigue
Cure exhaustion
Eliminate Nausea

Help! I'm Bleeding (6MP)
30' range (targeted)
2d6 + 1d6/round for 10 rounds

We're all going to Die (7MP)
20' circle within 30' (targeted)
Discerning (7)
Cure damage (4d6)

This fight's going to be a long one! (10MP)
30' circle within 30'
Discerning (10)
Cure damage 2d6 + 1d6/round for 10 rounds

Fireball (9MP)
20' within 30'
3d6 damage
people in the zone catch alight
Discerning (9 targets)

Flame sphere (8MP)
Withstand fire (8 fire Soak)
Discerning (8)
Circle (30')
Range (30')
Evoke Fire (4d6 damage)
Discerning (8)

Thanks for any help you can give me with these spells, the system is a little complicated and I just wanted to ensure that I haven't misread or misunderstood before attempting to run a playtest.

Obviously these require the healing skill, Healing Life, Evoke Fire and Abjure Fire lists.

Sniperfox47

First Post
I'd love to help you but I read through the first couple and got lost. I'll try to read through them and figure them out but it may take a bit.

In the future can I suggest you follow the suggested template from the books? They give you all the information at a quick glance. The Elements field can be ommited because it contains a subset of the same information in the build field. The template and an example spell follow:

Spell Name | Elements MP Cost
Build (this is the building blocks of the spell in terms of actions and effects)
Range
Duration
*Area
Checks (this will often be MAG vs. AGI or WIL. Note that AGI and WIL both have static replacements – DEFENSE and MENTAL DEFENSE respectively).
Description
Costs (this lists the full MP cost of the spell and any enhancements)

*not in the template but used in a few of the sample spells

Lightning's Wrath| Adsumo Levitas Nex 20MP
Evoke Lightning VIII/Death V/Gen VII
Range: Long (100 ft.)
Duration: One minute
Area: up to 20 targets in a 30ft radius
Checks: MAG vs. AGI (defense)
Black Lightning sparks from your fingertips and shoots towards the area you target. Once it arrives it explodes in a bust of electricity and death in an area of 30ft. Up to 20 enemies in the area take 6d6 electricity damage, 6d6 death damage and must succeed on a Challenging [13] END check or be stunned for 6 rounds (the spell avoids allies). The check can be retried each round to end the stun.
Costs: 5 MP lightning damage, 3 MP lightning side effect, 5 MP death damage, 3 MP long range, 3 MP 30ft area, 1 MP Discerning.

[edit] looking back at your spell list I see an issue with the first spell. If you have a spell with a 6mp cost and 30' range then at least 1 of the MP must be spent on general enhancements. That leaves up to 5mp for the heal effect. 5 mp gives you 6d6 of healing (5 from enhancement and 1 from the cantrip level effect) which are spent on curing conditions. Blindness and deafness both use 3 dice, so just curing those two would use up all the effects of your heal. Effectively you could only have:

Cure Affliction (6MP)
30' range (targeted)
Cures blindness
Cures deafness

Without the rest
I didn't realize you were including combined healing (requires healing skill). Yeah "Cure Affliction" looks correct.

Assuming "Help I'm Bleeding" is an evoke spell, it would cost a minimum of 13mp. 2 on general enhancements (1 for the range 30' and 1 for the duration 10 minutes), and 11 on an evoke spell list (1 on damage to raise it from 1d6 to 2d6, and 10 to add 1d6 per round for the duration short.) [EDIT] After realizing you had the duration in rounds not minutes, yeah it was correct.

"We're all going to die" looks like it's okay.

"This fight's going to be a long one!" should be minimum 17 MP. 6 on general enhancements (1 for range 30', 3 for 30' targeted area, 1 for discerning, and 1 for the 10 minute duration), and 11 on heal (1 on healing to raise it from 1d6
to 2d6 and 10 to add 1d6 per round for the duration short.) [EDIT] After realizing you had the duration in rounds not minutes, yeah it was correct.

fireball looks okay

"Flaming Sphere" I have no idea what it does from your description so I'm not going to try and ascertain it's correctness.

Last edited:

Ramiella

First Post
Help I'm bleeding, We're all going to die and This fight is going to be a long one are all healing spells, In the format you described (thanks)

Help I'm Bleeding | Vigoratus Anima 6MP
Heal life IV/Gen 1
Range: Short (30')
Heals the target for 2d6 + 1d6/round for 10 rounds

This uses: 1d6 Heal cantrip (0MP) , 1d6 enhancement (1MP), Basic enduring curing (4MP), and General range improvement (1MP)

This fight is going to be a long one | Vigoratus Anima 10MP
Heal life VI/Gen 1V
Area: 30' circle
Discerning (10)

This uses: 1d6 Heal cantrip (0MP) , 1d6 enhancement (1MP), Basic enduring curing (4MP), General range improvement (1MP), Area improvement (3MP) and Discerning (1MP)

Flaming sphere | Adsumo Incendia Repello Incendia
The purpose of this spell is to protect allies from the fireball you are about to cast on them

Having thought about it could you achieve the same result simply casting a discerning attack?

Sniperfox47

First Post
Help I'm bleeding, We're all going to die and This fight is going to be a long one are all healing spells, In the format you described (thanks)

Help I'm Bleeding | Vigoratus Anima 6MP
Heal life IV/Gen 1

This uses: 1d6 Heal cantrip (0MP) , 1d6 enhancement (1MP), Basic enduring curing (4MP), and General range improvement (1MP)

This fight is going to be a long one | Vigoratus Anima 10MP
Heal life VI/Gen 1V
Area: 30' circle
Discerning (10)

This uses: 1d6 Heal cantrip (0MP) , 1d6 enhancement (1MP), Basic enduring curing (4MP), General range improvement (1MP), Area improvement (3MP) and Discerning (1MP)
Emphasis mine

I'm an idiot. I guess I'm too used to reading the durations from the playtest because I read that as 10 minutes, not 10 rounds (one minute). My apologies. I'll edit my first post to reflect that.

Flaming sphere | Adsumo Incendia Repello Incendia
The purpose of this spell is to protect allies from the fireball you are about to cast on them

Having thought about it could you achieve the same result simply casting a discerning attack?

Pretty much. the problem with discerning (particularly for spells with wide areas) is the fact that it limits the number of targets. With the 20ft burst you had for fireball discerning would be a good option, but particularly for low mp cones where you want to hit lots of targets in one blast discerning can be more detrimental than beneficial.

I had thought that maybe you intended to create an effect similar to the flaming sphere spell from D&D. That one wouldn't be to hard to do. Basically just need Create fire I/ Move force I (create fire to create a sphere of flame in the area of affect, and move force to move the area of affect) assuming of course that the fire is attached to the spells area. I'm not to clear on that from the description of create. If not then Evoke fire IV/Move force I would work for 5mp rather than 2.

Last edited:

Ramiella

First Post
Thanks so much for your help with this!

I love the magic system in OLD, once you set it up it seems reasonably fast to use and it doesn't feel as though magic users will go through the super-high power creep as they gain power like they do in old-school D&D, but it doesn't feel restrictive and limiting in the ways of D&D 4e.

Super excited!

Remove ads