Pathfinder 1E Spike Stones - Vs Undead "Cure"

John Lake

First Post
Good Afternoon,

This is my first time here.
Prior to asking this, I have searched the forums and I have found nothing which addresses this.
The answer is probably as simple as reading the text, but i wanted a second Opinion.

My question is specific to undead and Spike Stones and how the healing aspect of this works.
The wording states "24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points)"

To me, this indicates Magical healing would heal the damage to the undead, such as with an inflict spell or channel negative energy.
My second question is would this also be resolved through Fast healing?

On the other hand, the spell does specifically call out "cure spells"

I am using Voidstick Zombies and they have 2 of these abilities.

Thanks for any input.

School transmutation [earth]; Level druid 4, shaman 4; Domain earth 4
CASTING
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, DF

EFFECT
Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area one 20-ft. square/level
Duration 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw Reflex partial; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION
Rocky ground, stone floors, and similar surfaces shape themselves into long, sharp points that blend into the background.
Spike stones impede progress through an area and deal damage. Any creature moving on foot into or through the spell’s area moves at half speed. In addition, each creature moving through the area takes 1d8 points of piercing damage for each 5 feet of movement through the spiked area.
Any creature that takes damage from this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save to avoid injuries to its feet and legs. A failed save causes the creature’s speed to be reduced to half normal for 24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points). Another character can remove the penalty by taking 10 minutes to dress the injuries and succeeding on a Heal check against the spell’s save DC.

Graylion2018

Explorer
Good Afternoon,

This is my first time here.
Prior to asking this, I have searched the forums and I have found nothing which addresses this.
The answer is probably as simple as reading the text, but i wanted a second Opinion.

My question is specific to undead and Spike Stones and how the healing aspect of this works.
The wording states "24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points)"

To me, this indicates Magical healing would heal the damage to the undead, such as with an inflict spell or channel negative energy.
My second question is would this also be resolved through Fast healing?

On the other hand, the spell does specifically call out "cure spells"

I am using Voidstick Zombies and they have 2 of these abilities.

Thanks for any input.

School transmutation [earth]; Level druid 4, shaman 4; Domain earth 4
CASTING
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, DF

EFFECT
Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area one 20-ft. square/level
Duration 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw Reflex partial; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION
Rocky ground, stone floors, and similar surfaces shape themselves into long, sharp points that blend into the background.
Spike stones impede progress through an area and deal damage. Any creature moving on foot into or through the spell’s area moves at half speed. In addition, each creature moving through the area takes 1d8 points of piercing damage for each 5 feet of movement through the spiked area.
Any creature that takes damage from this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save to avoid injuries to its feet and legs. A failed save causes the creature’s speed to be reduced to half normal for 24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points). Another character can remove the penalty by taking 10 minutes to dress the injuries and succeeding on a Heal check against the spell’s save DC.
This spell is written mainly for humanoids or living creatures, but undead are sometimes the enemy of the day. I have been gaming with every edition of D&D through 5e and I love 5e. Important point for, 5e and most games if it doesn't say it don't add it. Do if cure wounds doesn't say it heals undead it doesn't. In fact I think the spell says living creatures or some such. Books are currently in another state.

Hey the Basic Rules has this check out the last line

Healing
Unless it results in death, damage isn’t permanent. Even
death is reversible through powerful magic. Rest can
restore a creature’s hit points (as explained in chapter 8),
and magical methods such as a cure wounds spell or a
potion of healing can remove damage in an instant.
When a creature receives healing of any kind, hit points
regained are added to its current hit points. A creature’s
hit points can’t exceed its hit point maximum, so any hit
points regained in excess of this number are lost. For
example, a druid grants a ranger 8 hit points of healing.
If the ranger has 14 current hit points and has a hit point
maximum of 20, the ranger regains 6 hit points from the
druid, not 8.
A creature that has died can’t regain hit points until
magic such as the revivify spell has restored it to life.

Now at the end of the day the GM will need to rule on these odd items. Any regeneration should do away with this, you might give a zombie and or skeleton immunity to the movement but still let the damage go. My advise be fair to the players and faithful to the "Spirit of the Rules" not the letter. For example Goliath's can reduce damage by d12 I think per rest I house rule this does not apply to psychic damage, it feels wrong.

Best regards

Graylion2018

Explorer
Found it

A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifer. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by1d8 for each slot level above 1st.

Best regards

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases