Starfinder Second Edition Playtest Rulebook

Starfinder Starfinder 2e Playtest available in July

Staffan

Legend
Paizo put up a preorder for a hardcover print copy of the SF2e playtest rulebook. Interesting to note it says you need the PF2e Player Core and GM Core books to use it.
That's because the rules engine for SF2 is the same as for PF2, so they'll likely refer to the PF2 rules for things like combat, magic, skills, and so on.

That's because the rules engine for SF2 is the same as for PF2, so they'll likely refer to the PF2 rules for things like combat, magic, skills, and so on.
Yeah, the book is 264 pages so you save space in the playtest if you don’t need to re-explain how to grapple, trip, intimidate, etc.

I do wonder how they’ll handle that when the time comes to release the finished product though. I’m excited by the idea of having compatible rules to mix and match content but I already own the PF2e books. I’m not sure how the Starfinder fans will feel if they’re told some of their rules will be in the PF books. Maybe it doesn’t matter with Archives of Nethys being a thing. 🤷‍♂️

Staffan

Legend
Yeah, the book is 264 pages so you save space in the playtest if you don’t need to re-explain how to grapple, trip, intimidate, etc.

I do wonder how they’ll handle that when the time comes to release the finished product though. I’m excited by the idea of having compatible rules to mix and match content but I already own the PF2e books. I’m not sure how the Starfinder fans will feel if they’re told some of their rules will be in the PF books. Maybe it doesn’t matter with Archives of Nethys being a thing. 🤷‍♂️
I am pretty sure they have said SF2 will be a standalone game while fully compatible with PF2, to the point where you could play a PF2 fighter or thaumaturge in SF2.

Personally, I wish they'd go for slightly less compatibility in order to make Starfinder more of its own thing, and maintaining concepts from SF1 such as mystics basically being psions (rather than clerics) and magic not being split up into different traditions, but instead letting each caster class have its own spell list.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage

They've confirmed that the finished product will be standalone.

Remove ads