D&D General Suggestions for Rooms in an Adventurers Guild HQ

akr71

Hero
  • barracks
  • mess hall
  • kitchen
  • treasury
  • armory
  • training rooms (archery, melee, hand to hand*, magic)
  • library & records
  • meeting rooms
  • lounge
All centered around a grand hall.

* Edit - by hand to hand I meant to say unarmed combat including wrestling & grappling

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
A lot of these are good ideas. Some of this may depend on location and how big the guild is and how prominent it is in the world at this time. I always figured it was more like an American Legion Post in populated areas, since this is where the contracts come from. The legion has at its base a large hall for renting and meetings, a bar for hanging out and telling stories, a kitchen that can handle most things, and a more secret meeting room or the commander's room that may be used mainly as a smoking room. Some smaller rooms take up storage for old war items and storage for bar items., along with a bathroom and garden shed for tools and trash. There is also a big cannon out front from WW2, but this can be something like a broken golem from the last great war or a successful campaign.

Now, members have their holdings out of town if they are more prominent and here can be gathering places for members to ride or shoot or hunt which are away from the city. Poorer members may contribute with labor for events and cleaning the main hall in exchange for a cot in the storage room and they may watch over the place. Large, successful guilds may end up buying out a holding or have it willed to them when the member dies.

Medical - ointments, herbs, beds, components, divine accoutrements, and medical kits.
Secret/Hidden - every adventurer's guild needs a secret room, perhaps and entire Bat Cave™.
Teleportation Circle - high cost, I think it's around 18,000 gp, but it's a must have.
Art Collection - rather than sell all of those unusual items why not keep some for display?
Danger Room - when my epic Bard retired his inn, The Minstrel Cycle, possessed a Danger Room where adventurers would fight against Shadow Illusions.

MarkB

Legend
Teleportation Circle - high cost, I think it's around 18,000 gp, but it's a must have.
18,250gp in materials, but the real cost is time - you need a high-level spellcaster (at least 9th, if they don't min blowing their one 5th-level slot for the day) to be sat in or around your guildhall every day for a year, without vacations, in order to ensure that they cast the spell once every day.

Which means either one of your guild's most useful members is stuck at base for all that time, or you have to spend even more - a lot more* - to hire such a spellcaster to do the job for you.

* Spellcasting services start from 10-50 gp per casting for a 1st or 2nd level spell, plus material costs, and can be assumed to rise exponentially with spell level, if you can even find a spellcaster willing to take on such a commission.

Omand

Hero
One thing not mentioned so far that I would suggest would be an observatory (aka telescope installation), or roof platform for star gazing. if you have the library on site for research, and there have been any prominent arcanists in the guild previously, then checking star signs is likely to have been a thing in the past that members may have been participating in.

Another one to think about, a bell tower or watchtower with drums or horns (musical) of some type. Can be used for work, signalling, attracting attention when the guild wants to show off, etc.

Cheers :)

Richards

Legend
Stables have already been mentioned, but besides the common type for horses and mules you might want another place for the more exotic creatures, like the druid's bear animal companion or the ranger's trained wolf; stabling these types of creatures with the horses is just asking for trouble. Flying mounts - pegasi, hippogriffs, and the like - might require a rooftop aerie.

Johnathan

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Rooms where you can practice with whatever Tool Kits in which you are proficient.

Map Room (or alcove in the Library).

Spell research labs / facilities.

A wing where the 'hired help' can stay, in modest comfort.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Some location-dependent ideas: (I'm already thinking in this mode as, in the game I play in, our adventuring company is currently engaged in renovating a conquered dungeon into a rather elaborate home base)

If near or on a seacoast or navigable river:

lookout towers and-or viewpoints;
a dock or wharf strong enough to withstand storms;
a boathouse or cave to store the company's vessel(s);
a ship construction/repair area with room to store associated materials and parts

If near or in a large city, or anywhere thieves are a known problem:

multiple secure vaults, some fake (and well-trapped), others real;
a series of guest/visitor areas and rooms that don't (or only secretly) connect with the owners' part of the building;
a hidden bolthole or escape route in case of overwhelming attack

Anywhere:

at least one lead-lined room or chamber that cannot be scried or teleported into or out of, preferably underground or in some other way not obvious as being part of the remaining structure;
a large bath or steam room preferably with running water;
a nearby and separate "apartment block" or barracks for guards, staff, and other non-company types

Remove ads