• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Superhero One-Shot suggestions???

Ethan514

Villager
I've been trying to figure out the best way to set up a fun one-shot for my friends based in the One-Punch Man world. Does anyone have some ideas or suggestions for supplements like those found on DMs Guild or DriveThru RPG?

All of my Google-fu tends to turn up One-Punch Man monk builds...like a LOT of frickin monk builds...

My dream is to give the players several (max of 10) pre-gen characters to choose from. Ideally they'd be Rank/Class C heroes, think Mumen Rider or Tank Top Tiger level of powers, with some fun quirkiness to play around with. This would be a just-for-fun style of one-shot where the players could enjoy a bit of power fantasy while still having some "strategery" George_Bush.gif.

I have looked into some 5e alternatives like the Sentinels of the Multiverse TTRPG rules, but I know the players would like some more complex/strategic combat than what these rule sets typically offer.

This is my first post on here, so please let me know if I have posted in the wrong area or if my formatting is sh*t.

The Mutants and Masterminds ruleset might be worth looking into. It's been around for a while now, but it's tuned for superheroes while being familiar enough in terms of its terminology (saving throws etc) for D&D players.

There used to be a guy hanging around on the old Mutants and Masterminds messageboards who did character conversions of every media property imaginable. I think he moved his stuff over to a new site (Echoes of the Multiverse?) when the old forum closed down - if he hasn't done One Punch Man M&M conversions I'd be very surprised.

Ethan514

Villager
The Mutants and Masterminds ruleset might be worth looking into. It's been around for a while now, but it's tuned for superheroes while being familiar enough in terms of its terminology (saving throws etc) for D&D players.

There used to be a guy hanging around on the old Mutants and Masterminds messageboards who did character conversions of every media property imaginable. I think he moved his stuff over to a new site (Echoes of the Multiverse?) when the old forum closed down - if he hasn't done One Punch Man M&M conversions I'd be very surprised.
Thanks for taking time to write a response! I'll definitely be looking into M&M to see how well it fits.
And I'll see if I can track that guy down, or at least his conversions.

jgsugden

Legend
You might consider a fairly rule agnostic system like Dread. Learning an entire system for a one shot can be a bit much, so a system like Dread, which uses Jenga towers to determine if the PCs fail, can be great for a one shot.

If you're playing remotely, you can have everyone use their own Jenga tower and ask them to pull from it a few times whenever they try to do something dramatic. If the tower falls, things go horribly wrong.

Remove ads