D&D (2024) Supplements?

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
From the One D&D FAQ:
  • Is One D&D a new edition of D&D?​

It’s bigger than that. One D&D will usher in the next generation of D&D with new and more comprehensive versions of the core rulebooks that millions of players have enjoyed for the past decade. The rules will be backwards compatible with fifth edition adventures and supplements and offer players and Dungeon Masters new options and opportunities for adventure. The evolution of fifth edition has shown us it’s less important to create new editions of the game and more important to grow and expand the game you love with each new product.

I wonder what exactly they mean by "supplements?" Based on what we've seen of the Expert classes and how they plan to have 48 subclasses when they're done, it doesn't seem to me that Xanather's and Tasha's are what they are referring to. Their mention of revamping the monsters would lead me to believe the supplements they were talking about are Monsters of the Multiverse and Fizban's, since those two follow the new stat block design and would be compatible with their future plans. I wish they had been a little more clear on exactly which "supplements" they are talking about, since that might clear up some of the speculation I've seen in various threads. What do the rest of you think?

Last edited:

From the One D&D FAQ:
  • Is One D&D a new edition of D&D?​

It’s bigger than that. One D&D will usher in the next generation of D&D with new and more comprehensive versions of the core rulebooks that millions of players have enjoyed for the past decade. The rules will be backwards compatible with fifth edition adventures and supplements and offer players and Dungeon Masters new options and opportunities for adventure. The evolution of fifth edition has shown us it’s less important to create new editions of the game and more important to grow and expand the game you love with each new product.

I wonder what exactly they mean by "supplements?" Based on what we've seen of the Expert classes and how they plan to have 48 subclasses when they're done, it doesn't seem to me that Xanather's and Tasha's are what they are referring to. Their mention of revamping the monsters would lead me to believe the supplements they were talking about the are Monsters of the Multiverse and Fizban's, since those two follow the new stat block design and would be compatible with their future plans. I wish they had been a little more clear on exactly which "supplements" they are talking about, since that might clear up some of the speculation I've seen in various threads. What do the rest of you think?
Probably it is not set in stone. As you can read in the paragraph thereafter.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What do the rest of you think?

I think it is way too early to be concerned about which books they are considering supplements and which ones they aren't.

If they already had the list in mind and it mattered that we know about them... they would have told us which books they were considering to be under the "backwards compatible" umbrella. The fact that they didn't tells us that there's no point in making or worrying about those decisions on these things right now.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The list of supplements usually excludes adventures and campaign settings, even if they have mechanical options within them. Below are setting-neutral (or base assumed setting neutral, at least) supplements released by WotC (but not by Adventurer's League or DM's Guild Adepts):

1. Elemental Evil Player Companion*
  2. Volo's Guide to Monsters
  3. Xanathar's Guide to Everything
  4. The Tortle Package*†
  5. Expanded Racial Feats
  6. Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
  7. Acquisitions, Incorporated*
  8. Infernal Font
  9. Mordenkainen's Fiendish Folio, Vol. 1: Monsters Malevolent & Benign
  10. Adventures with Muk
  11. Sapphire Dragon Dice
  12. Tasha's Cauldron of Everything
  13. Muk's Guide to Everything He Learned From Tasha
  14. Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft*
  15. Domains of Delight*
  16. Fizban's Treasury of Dragons
  17. Minsc & Boo's Journal of Villainy
  18. Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse
  19. Monstrous Compendium, Vol. 1: Spelljammer
  20. Spelljammer: Astral Adventurer's Guide*
  21. Spelljammer: Boo's Astral Managerie*
  22. The Vecna Dossier
  23. Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants
  24. The Book of Many Things
  25. 1st out of 3 Planescape books*
  26. 2nd out of 3 Planescape books*

*Might be considered a Campaign Setting book, internally, rather than a supplement. These are all part of the assumed core setting, but have connections with historically specific settings or else support a specific AL publishing season and thus assume FR.

†Not setting neutral as it included material on Tortles in Chult, but almost universally considered a digital supplement.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
The only reason I asked was because I've seen people under the assumption that certain optional abilities that were in Tasha's would be still viable alongside the 1DD UA's. Based on that excerpt above, I'm not so sure that's the case. So I was wondering if I missed something elsewhere that led people to that assumption.

The only reason I asked was because I've seen people under the assumption that certain optional abilities that were in Tasha's would be still viable alongside the 1DD UA's. Based on that excerpt above, I'm not so sure that's the case. So I was wondering if I missed something elsewhere that led people to that assumption.

Yes. You missed, that you can use everything not specified in the rules. Of course, I would not assume tasha, but neither was tasha assumed in the core 2014 rules.

Remove ads