Swyvers

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
a39c51c88ad0aa7a06ce567bb0b267d6_original.jpg

Anyone backing this?

It's more of an OSRish take on the same kind of stuff that Blades in the Dark does. It looks spiffy (and suspiciously like Locke Llamora transplanted to fantasy London).

Swanosaurus

Adventurer
I am!
In Melsonian Arts Council I trust.
I'm not even sure that the whole "playing bastards" concept appeals to me, but the magic system looks great (basically you're playing blackjack, but there's a really neat way in which it uses magical ingredients that sounds extremely un-fiddly; you can basically collect stuff that might come in handy for spells and then use it to influence your casting positively, but there's no specific ingredients for any spells).
The rules don't seem to be directly influenced by anything; in complexity they're similar to Troika/Fighting Fantasy, but the mechanics are different.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm interested in looking at the magic system -- if any element of a dice-based game merits a completely different mechanics, strange magic seems like it -- but I'm not sure if I'm in the market for another game system. I may well just use this -- if I back it -- as a setting and heist-generator for other OSR games.

Anyone else tempted to try donating a copy to the local library just to see if the book-banners have read Chaucer?

With my luck it'd get rejected by a librarian who objects to the spelling. "I think you'll find "swive" is the preferred spelling, sir."

A quick check of the internet tells me no one is selling a "Never been swyven" tee shirt aimed at naught English lit academics. I'm strangely disappointed.

Remove ads